Breechldrs Sharps and Hankins Army Carbine

vmicraig

Sergeant
This is the Army companion to my previously posted Navy model. As previously noted, the Navy model primarily differs in that it bears a leather covered barrel, as well as a USN stamp at the heel of the stock. This S&H Army carbine is a bare-barreled .52 caliber breechloader produced by the Sharps and Hankins Company, Philadelphia. The carbines (all variants) were made between 1862-1865 with an approximate total of 8,000 produced in 4 variants:

- 19" barrel Army cavalry carbine
- 24" barrel Army cavalry carbine
- 24" leather covered barrel Navy carbine
- 32 3/4" barrel Army rifle

n 1862, founder Christian Sharps partnered with William Hankins and formed a new company known simply as Sharps and Hankins (S&H). There he produced four-barrel pepperboxes and single shot breech loading rifles and carbines, although the majority of the production was devoted to military work. The partnership was dissolved in 1866 and Sharps reverted to the C. Sharps & Company name.

By official records, the Army purchased approximately 200 “Army Model” carbines from the estimated 500 produced. A few of the Army models were made experimentally in other calibers, but authenticated specimens are rare. In addition to the Army and Navy models, a shorter Cavalry model was produced with a 19” barrel, sometimes found with Navy markings.

The 52 caliber rimfire carbine employed a metal cartridge which was loaded by sliding the barrel forward using a loading lever on the underside, secured by a small latch inside the lever which can be awkward to operate. Standard features include a brass buttplate, iron loading lever, unique hinged sight; the metal forearm is an extension of the block. Carbines had a single strap hook on the butt and a rifled bore with 12 lands & grooves.

Markings include serial number 799 with "SHARPS / & / HANKINS / PHILADA" on the right side. Mark on left side: "SHARPS / PATENT / 1859". Serial numbers were located on the rear tang and inside on the loading lever.

IMG_0049.jpg

IMG_0048.jpg IMG_0050.jpg IMG_0051.jpg IMG_0052.jpg IMG_0053.jpg IMG_0054.jpg IMG_0055.jpg IMG_0056.jpg IMG_0058.jpg

Last edited:
Here is mine. Still has the leather, I just bought it last week and haven't received it yet but its due in by Friday.
s&h.jpg s&h-1.jpg s&h-2.jpg s&h-3.jpg s&h-4.jpg s&h-5.jpg s&h-6.jpg s&h-7.jpg

Here is mine. Still has the leather, I just bought it last week and haven't received it yet but its due in by Friday.

Nice. I posted pics of my Navy model last month - my leather is mostly intact, but it's not 100%. Ive got a lower serial than yours at 4439, and since only 8000 were made, I'm left puzzled how your serial number came about? Any idea? At what point and why did they add a fifth digit in serialization? I know Spencers rolled over at a certain point and even had duplicates.

Regardless, I would love to know if there was any way to determine if they were issued, to whom and when. My Army model above has a far better barrel, mainly because there was no leather to trap moisture. Funny how they thought the leather would be good for the barrel, when in the long run, it proved far worse for wear.

Last edited:
Reactions: WJC
I'm left puzzled how your serial number came about? Any idea?

S&H made cavalry & naval carbines as well as a rifle version. The serial # are all inclusive below are 2 others with 5 digit #

s&h serial#.JPG
s&hserial#-1.JPG

Very nice indeed vmicraig. This reply will go back to your post in May of 2018. You mentioned at the start of your post.

This is the Army companion to my previously posted Navy model. As previously noted, the Navy model primarily differs in that it bears a leather covered barrel, as well as a USN stamp at the heel of the stock.

I have a Navy model as well and am curious on more info per the location of the USN stamp at the heel of the stock. Are you talking about the wood under the brass butt plate? Or the brass plate itself?
Many thanks on any info. I did find your post in April 2018 on the Navy model, but did not see a picture of the USN stamp. Not challenging your word, I'm just trying to figure out where I need to really go looking exactly with the glass.

Back