Miniatures Share Your Non-Civil War Miniatures Here!

CivilWarTalk

Lieutenant General
- ★★★ -
Managing Member & Webmaster
This Thread is here specifically as a place to post any photos of Non-Civil War Miniatures, either your work, or your photos of amazing work you think is worthy of showing off to others!

Please don't post Non-Civil War Miniatures photos anywhere but this thread!

Please don't post any Civil War Era Miniatures in this thread! If you see that someone has mistakenly done this, please report it and we will probably move it out and turn it into it's own thread so it can be featured on the forum and shared properly!

Thanks!

James N. I have all of Mr. Bowden's books, both Civil War and Napoleonic, and enjoy the immensly. Some of them I have read several times. They are the pride of my collection. I though he posted here sometimes.

John
Since this thread has already been considerably derailed I'll go a bit farther with a reminiscence you might enjoy hearing about.

Sometime in the mid-1980's Bowden, who was I believe living in Fort Worth at the time, held a weekend seminar at a local hotel concerning the era Frederick-Napoleon. Amazingly, the featured speakers were the doyens of the respective eras who were speaking at West Point on their subjects and agreed to fly down for this as well: David Chandler and Frederick Duffy, then both professors at Sandhurst! There was also a wargame featured Saturday evening, but I missed it in order to drive back to my home in Dallas for the night. Next day I returned bringing what then comprised my collection of Napoleonic swords and sabers to display. The whole was an experience I'll always remember, especially every time I refer to the books I got autographed there by Chandler and Duffy!

James N. Man oh man, I wish I could have been there! The three of them and your collection of swords and sabers! I would really have enjoyed that.

Thanks, John
Last night I located my handout from the event that concerned military developments from Marlborough to Napoleon and consisted of the speaker's lecture outlines and notes and saw that Chandler's TWO talks were on Marlborough As Commander and the Jena-Auerstadt Campaign; Duffy seems to have talked about both Frederick as a commander and the Russian Army at Austerlitz. (His outlines and "notes" are somewhat garbled.) There was also another speaker, Gunther Rothenburg, whose specialty was the Austrian Army and its use of irregulars called Grenzers and their development into light infantry. There were also some notes by Bowden on his rules Empire. My sword collection was still pretty small at that time!

I apologize if this is in the wrong spot. Working this page from my iPhone is very different from my laptop. I was looking for “post a new thread” under non-civil war Minatures and I’m not sure this is right.
this is my Old West work I’ve done recently.
Do you paint all the figures? Were the buildings pre-fab or already finished? Looks great.
I too like the Cole’s Store.

Gunslinging-Singing Cowboys! But one appears to be playing a Fender.

Do you paint all the figures? Were the buildings pre-fab or already finished? Looks great.
I too like the Cole’s Store.

Gunslinging-Singing Cowboys! But one appears to be playing a Fender.
Indeed! Thats my private joke there...Black Scorpion figures once did a one time Bob Dylan figure. This figure is it. From a 1966 (which is marked on the tiny amp) of Bob playing a P bass in the studio. I just dropped him in to see who notices. A Bob Dylan concert in a saloon! Hey, he did appear in and write the soundtrack for the Peckenpagh movie "Pat Garret and Billy the Kid." Thats how his song "Romance in Durango came to be. They were filming in Durango, Mexico. Great catch!

So had my fist game in 1½ years this weekend... Möckern
Prussian and Russians against french and italians.

Based on the battle at Möckern in 1813. (part of the Leipzig campaign)

View attachment 413234

My Prussians have been driving the French around the village of Möckern back. But my first attack on the village failed.
So now 4 battalions of Russian line infantry have come up to take over the attack. (and they in the following turns had success, and drove the frence out of the village and routed the frence brigade)
View attachment 413235

My Prussians.
I only got 1 infantry regiment of 3 battalions, and 2 Landwehr battalions as seen on this picture and a battery that are ready for action. (Got two battalions more still in the box...) the rest is owned by one of the pother players.

View attachment 413236
Amazing! And such work! Great job.

Thanks.
But I really can't take any of the credits. Most of the miniatures are owned by the others, the same with the terrain.

And my few Prussians was some they gave me for my wedding (and for spending a lot of time running a campaign for them)
So my Prussians where painted by the same player who own all the other Prussians.

Indeed! Thats my private joke there...Black Scorpion figures once did a one time Bob Dylan figure. This figure is it. From a 1966 (which is marked on the tiny amp) of Bob playing a P bass in the studio. I just dropped him in to see who notices. A Bob Dylan concert in a saloon! Hey, he did appear in and write the soundtrack for the Peckenpagh movie "Pat Garret and Billy the Kid." Thats how his song "Romance in Durango came to be. They were filming in Durango, Mexico. Great catch!
Dylan also did a song and music video for Gods & Generals!

... And my few Prussians was some they gave me for my wedding (and for spending a lot of time running a campaign for them)
So my Prussians where painted by the same player who own all the other Prussians.
Your new bride must've been thrilled! (Presumably and hopefully she already knew about your "addiction"!)

Your new bride must've been thrilled! (Presumably and hopefully she already knew about your "addiction"!)
We first became close friends after she asked me to give her some training in combat with sword and buckler...
So we started doing that 1-2 times a week outside my place. And then after training we often ended up chatting for hours.

In other words she knew very well what she was getting her self into...
It actually been 5 years now... (3 since we got married) so she had plenty of time to run away.
And I think our wedding photo do tell that she is just as much a nerd as me...
moded-2.jpg

My Prussians are "garrisoned" together with the other Prussians... since I got 1½ hour by train to that city where we usually play. So it is easier for me and that allow the others to use them even when I don't take part... so she would not know anyway...
(I do know some of the others like the fact that most of their miniatures is at the local gaming club... so their wife don't actually know how much they got)

If she actually cared about what I spend my money on (our economies are only partly intergraded) then I think she would care more about the fact that I earlier today made an order at "Wambaugh, White, and Company" replacing my federal uniform...
Sack coat, trousers, federal issue shirt, civilian shirt, issue drawers, shelterhalf... Since it is all kits It will keep me entertained until spring. :smile:

I know some of our members are very interested in WWI and I came across this site the other day and thought it would be appropriate here. Andy Belsey is an Englishman and due to his grandfather's involvement in service during WWI he became interested in modeling that time period in a way to honor his grandfathers service.
He has recently published a book on how he makes his trench warfare dioramas and I found the book available on Amazon with a release date for the book to be in a few months, but the Kindle version is available now. Even though the book is not about the time period I'm most interested in, I'm tempted to purchase it just to learn how he does what he does. What interest me so much is the small details he includes in his modeling. It's way above and beyond what most include in an diorama. I think he has others paint the figures he has modified, but he does all the rest. In my opinion, the figures are well done, but it's all the extra detail he adds that sets his work apart.

Just take a look at his website to see what I mean.

I know some of our members are very interested in WWI and I came across this site the other day and thought it would be appropriate here. Andy Belsey is an Englishman and due to his grandfather's involvement in service during WWI he became interested in modeling that time period in a way to honor his grandfathers service.
He has recently published a book on how he makes his trench warfare dioramas and I found the book available on Amazon with a release date for the book to be in a few months, but the Kindle version is available now. Even though the book is not about the time period I'm most interested in, I'm tempted to purchase it just to learn how he does what he does. What interest me so much is the small details he includes in his modeling. It's way above and beyond what most include in an diorama. I think he has others paint the figures he has modified, but he does all the rest. In my opinion, the figures are well done, but it's all the extra detail he adds that sets his work apart.

Just take a look at his website to see what I mean.

That's a great link Dan , the guy certainly knows his subject and his attention to detail is amazing.

When I started MANY years ago I used primarily artist's oils . I converted to acrylics awhile ago , though I still use oils for horses and leather.Images 1 and 2 were works in progress . It is helpful to take a picture of the figure before finishing it . It helps you find errors .
1. Vallejo cowboy . Oils on horse and leather . Acrylics on everything else .
2. Master and Commander . Back when I used oils on skin.
3.WW1 Tommy. All acrylics , but oils used on gun stock.
4.Band of Brothers . Oils on rifle stock . Everything else is acrylics . There are some very good Youtube videos out there to help painting flesh . Check out Last Cavalry(Dave Younquist).

View attachment 328123

View attachment 328124

View attachment 328126

View attachment 328127
Holy crow, these are gorgeous. Good job.

When I started MANY years ago I used primarily artist's oils . I converted to acrylics awhile ago , though I still use oils for horses and leather.Images 1 and 2 were works in progress . It is helpful to take a picture of the figure before finishing it . It helps you find errors .
1. Vallejo cowboy . Oils on horse and leather . Acrylics on everything else .
2. Master and Commander . Back when I used oils on skin.
3.WW1 Tommy. All acrylics , but oils used on gun stock.
4.Band of Brothers . Oils on rifle stock . Everything else is acrylics . There are some very good Youtube videos out there to help painting flesh . Check out Last Cavalry(Dave Younquist).

View attachment 328123

View attachment 328124

View attachment 328126

View attachment 328127
These are absolutely fantastic! I absolutely LOVE the WWI Tommy. I do WWI living history and I have several friends that do Tommys as their living history thing for WWI

These are absolutely fantastic! I absolutely LOVE the WWI Tommy. I do WWI living history and I have several friends that do Tommys as their living history thing for WWI
-Thanks for the kind words. The Tommy bust is by Young Miniatures . They primarily do WW2 , but do some WW1 as well . There was a time when I didn't care for busts , but there are so many well sculpted ones on the market that I decided to try them and have learned to enjoy them.

Back