Miniatures Share Your Non-Civil War Miniatures Here!

CivilWarTalk

Lieutenant General
- ★★★ -
Managing Member & Webmaster
This Thread is here specifically as a place to post any photos of Non-Civil War Miniatures, either your work, or your photos of amazing work you think is worthy of showing off to others!

Please don't post Non-Civil War Miniatures photos anywhere but this thread!

Please don't post any Civil War Era Miniatures in this thread! If you see that someone has mistakenly done this, please report it and we will probably move it out and turn it into it's own thread so it can be featured on the forum and shared properly!

Thanks!

How exactly do you do the sculpting?
By this I mean, if you start with something like an oval ball, which you would use as a head, do you you use a wooden or metal tool to remove the clay for where the eyes will be? Then to actually make the eyes, are you using various tools to shape the eyes and eye lids, etc?

And BTW, it's really a nice bust. I agree with Kurt that there is a lack of other type of figures available. You can only do so many soldiers.

How exactly do you do the sculpting?
By this I mean, if you start with something like an oval ball, which you would use as a head, do you you use a wooden or metal tool to remove the clay for where the eyes will be? Then to actually make the eyes, are you using various tools to shape the eyes and eye lids, etc?

And BTW, it's really a nice bust. I agree with Kurt that there is a lack of other type of figures available. You can only do so many soldiers.

If I'm working with clay or Magic-Sculpt I'll firstly use the end of a paint brush to press into the clay marking the eye sockets.
Then rolling a small ball of clay and inserting into the eye socket I would use the clay shapers shown below to create the eyes .
Like Paint brushes the Clay shapers come in different sizes 0,01,02 upto I think a size 6 and various shapes such as flat, pointed, wedged etc.
s-l200.jpg

Hope that explains one of my methods. I'm hoping we meet up again at the Antietam muster, if so I'll probably be able to explain it better.

I apologize if this is in the wrong spot. Working this page from my iPhone is very different from my laptop. I was looking for “post a new thread” under non-civil war Minatures and I’m not sure this is right.
this is my Old West work I’ve done recently. All are 28mm from Black Scorpion, Knuckleduster and Dixon.
the term “28mm” is relative I guess. BS figures are really big. Probably 32mm. Knuckleduster about 30 and Dixon are closer to Perry true 28mm.

918CCF58-E927-4439-9394-DD2F7DE153D9.jpeg

9CF3ABD9-6DBC-4BD0-9F7B-F8D5881EAAB8.jpeg

E0FB7AB5-2044-4CCC-97D8-A84086E52156.jpeg

BCFAB557-CB29-4EDB-9749-CDBF23F96527.jpeg

EDE4A9B5-D722-410C-B5FC-BFA8FBCE859B.jpeg

9B2B4D03-49CD-44CE-8427-30D36FE08B2A.jpeg

342BBF80-4163-4ECC-A0D8-55D26165BD67.jpeg

22A6BA60-CA9B-426C-87E6-46A878B06851.jpeg

CA229FA4-6DD1-4769-9F00-813E63418FA3.jpeg

AE256840-AF4D-4B7C-8C50-0C786331059E.jpeg

1E01749A-2D6D-459C-A969-A5BF3FF63D98.jpeg

99592B60-8BF6-4FA9-9403-10023EA377FE.jpeg

92AD9440-387A-40FE-92AE-8A42E39F71CA.jpeg

B902CCE8-6533-4DF4-863B-B3E7CB89C7A9.jpeg

C6B83256-A52A-4F10-BD4E-77A7CA76598E.jpeg

B77E1228-00AC-4934-918D-1151BF3D7A3C.jpeg

DFBC8830-9ADF-4235-9945-1AE883F53536.jpeg

Nice work . I have several figures from Andrea's Golden West series that I've collected (54mm) that I'll get to if I live to be 120 or so . I wish there was a good series of 120mm Old West figures . Great painting and the detail on the pool table is amazing .

So had my fist game in 1½ years this weekend... Möckern
Prussian and Russians against french and italians.

Based on the battle at Möckern in 1813. (part of the Leipzig campaign)

IMG_0148(1).JPG

My Prussians have been driving the French around the village of Möckern back. But my first attack on the village failed.
So now 4 battalions of Russian line infantry have come up to take over the attack. (and they in the following turns had success, and drove the frence out of the village and routed the frence brigade)
IMG_0150(1).JPG

My Prussians.
I only got 1 infantry regiment of 3 battalions, and 2 Landwehr battalions as seen on this picture and a battery that are ready for action. (Got two battalions more still in the box...) the rest is owned by one of the pother players.

IMG_0144(1).JPG

Last edited:
So had my fist game in 1½ years this weekend... Möckern
Prussian and Russians against french and italians.

Based on the battle at Möckern in 1813. (part of the Leipzig campaign)
Interestingly, this is the very campaign about which I'm currently reading. Recently looking over my shelves of Napoleonic titles I discovered TWO brand-new reprint copies of classic early 1900's titles I'd bought but never read, both by a British author named Petrie who had been a late-Victorian officer and eventually wrote five English-language books on Napoleonic campaigns. Napoleon's Last Campaign In Germany - 1813 covers everything from Lutzen through Hanau in considerable detail, particularly in the movements of all the various forces and nationalities involved. I'm through Dresden and will probably wait a bit once I'm through before tackling the next one which deals with the Campaign Of France in 1814. Previously I'd read his Napoleon's Campaign In Poland (Elyau-Friedland) in an original ca. 1912 edition I own and remembered it as very dull and over-detailed, but I'm really enjoying (and understanding!) this one a lot more. I'm also "following the action" in another massive classic I'd partially read but never finished before, The West Point Atlas Of The Napoleonic Wars by John Elting and Vincent Esposito. The Petrie books feature large tipped-in fold-out maps made by the author, but they're all black-and-white and rather difficult for my old eyes to follow, whereas the West Point maps, though also in rather small print, are well-known for their clarity.

Last edited:
(I think it was Petrie’s account of 1813 that was included as a booklet in the Avalon Hill game “Struggle of Nations” covering the spring and autumn campaigns. The game ended up being too strange and detailed for my young tastes but I foolishly discarded the booklet along with the rest - and regretted it ever since.)

(I think it was Petrie’s account of 1813 that was included as a booklet in the Avalon Hill game “Struggle of Nations” covering the spring and autumn campaigns. The game ended up being too strange and detailed for my young tastes but I foolishly discarded the booklet along with the rest - and regretted it ever since.)
Are you sure that wasn't by Albert Nofi, a prolific writer about that time on all things military but specializing in Napoleonic and Civil War campaigns and commanders.

Are you sure that wasn't by Albert Nofi, a prolific writer about that time on all things military but specializing in Napoleonic and Civil War campaigns and commanders.

It could have been… I don’t have it crystal-clear in my memory but I do remember the old-style lettering, the great detail, and that in spots it was very hard to read…

@thomas aagaard Enthusiastic Napoleonic gamer also. Thanks for the photos. What rules do you use?

John
Black powder 2. (with the relevant supplements)

And yes, there are more realistic/authentic rules out there.
But BP2 work for our group of men in their 30ties and early 40ties with jobs and small children...
Being able to play a big game like this over an afternoon and evening.

And since the others also play war of the Roses (using Hail Caesar) and acw it is practical that the core rules are the same.
(Because of covid19 I have not yet been able to play the two periods)

@thomas aagaard Thank you. Just wondering. I play Empire with our group here in Baltimore. Whatever the rule set, Napoleonics makes for fun games, in my opinion anyway. We did do Moockern years ago but the 1809 campaign in Germany has occupied us for at least twenty years. We also play the ACW and a few other periods, all in the black powder era though.

John

Black powder 2. (with the relevant supplements)

And yes, there are more realistic/authentic rules out there.
But BP2 work for our group of men in their 30ties and early 40ties with jobs and small children...
Being able to play a big game like this over an afternoon and evening.

And since the others also play war of the Roses (using Hail Caesar) and acw it is practical that the core rules are the same.
(Because of covid19 I have not yet been able to play the two periods)
@thomas aagaard Thank you. Just wondering. I play Empire with our group here in Baltimore. Whatever the rule set, Napoleonics makes for fun games, in my opinion anyway. We did do Moockern years ago but the 1809 campaign in Germany has occupied us for at least twenty years. We also play the ACW and a few other periods, all in the black powder era though.

John
I don't know whether you're aware of it -or him - or not, and I only rarely visit the wargaming threads here in the forums, but one of the best-known authors of both wargame rules and military history in general (especially but not strictly of the Napoleonic variety) for the past thirty years or more is also a member of the Forums, @Scott Bowden, though I only occasionally see him post. Here's an example from Amazon of one of his better-known books which I also own a copy of:

1631205977751.png

Last edited:
James N. I have all of Mr. Bowden's books, both Civil War and Napoleonic, and enjoy the immensly. Some of them I have read several times. They are the pride of my collection. I though he posted here sometimes.

John

Back