Miniatures Share Your Non-Civil War Miniatures Here!

CivilWarTalk

Lieutenant General
- ★★★ -
Managing Member & Webmaster
This Thread is here specifically as a place to post any photos of Non-Civil War Miniatures, either your work, or your photos of amazing work you think is worthy of showing off to others!

Please don't post Non-Civil War Miniatures photos anywhere but this thread!

Please don't post any Civil War Era Miniatures in this thread! If you see that someone has mistakenly done this, please report it and we will probably move it out and turn it into it's own thread so it can be featured on the forum and shared properly!

Thanks!

@DixieRifles Really fine figure! I wish I could do that. I tried a couple of Historex figures but they never came out looking that good. Did you ever do any Red Lancers?

John

I tried a couple of Historex figures but they never came out looking that good. Did you ever do any Red Lancers?
Im trying to recall how many Historex figures--both mounted and foot---that I have finished. Not many. I wanted to do one of a French grenadier in winter overcoat.

Yes. I did paint a Red Lancer figure and I thought I just posted a photo here recently. I guess not. My ole high school buddy was sculpturing figures. He sent me a 1st Texas Regiment figure that I painted and returned to him. Then he sent me a Red Lancer figure he made to keep. It is a 110mm figure or stands 6 inches to top of his hat.
Red Lancer compo.jpg

Also I built a Historex mounted lancer before this but it was the Polish Lancer of the Imperial Guard in blue. I really like the Blue uniform over the Red. I can't find a photo of my finished diorama---and that is why I reassembled my 5th Netherlands Dragoon.
My project was a small diorama depicting the charge of the Lancers of the Guard at Waterloo. Two figures were the Airfix figures. These kits have great animation. Here is one listed on eBay for $19.
Airfix Kit.JPG
Bugler Lancer.JPG

. . . . . . . AIRFIX Kit . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . King & Country Figure

I used two Airfix figures but selected a horse from another Airfix kit so the horses were not the same pose. The 3rd figure leading the charge was a Historex Lancer bugler. The Bugler uniform colors are reversed so he was in all Red and riding a White horse--very similar to the above King&Country figure except at a gallop. They were mounted on an 8-inch square base that I applied hand-crafted corn stalks. I have the pieces of this diorama but I doubt I could ever restore it.
It was ~1978 and I was based with the Air Force in Lexington MA when I painted it in my cramp rental apartment. I entered it into a diorama contest at a local hobby store ----most of my competitors hadn't started shaving yet. They submitted huge dioramas that had men running hither and yon and firing in different directions. No theme or focus. My submittal was simple 3 mounted figures in a full gallop. I won the small prize; a large box of Xacto carving tools.

I wish I could find a photo of it. Arrr!

BTW, I also have unfinished Airfix kits along with Historex kits. Some are infantry.

@DixieRifles Thank.you for the great photos. I like your Red Lancer! You may have posted the photos of him and I missed it, but he is really nice. Also, I thought the detail on the saber and scabbard on the officer of the Dutch Dragoon was pretty impressive.

The Polish Lancers of the Guard are one of my favorite regiments, with especially attractive uniforms.

John

When I started MANY years ago I used primarily artist's oils . I converted to acrylics awhile ago , though I still use oils for horses and leather.Images 1 and 2 were works in progress . It is helpful to take a picture of the figure before finishing it .
Great work. Your photos even look better than mine. Im using my daughter’s Cannon Rebel and I cant get it to do what I want. No joke, but I think it is broke.

Modeling with Gantt Charts and Project Milestones

An artist cannot plan his masterpiece on a budget or schedule its completion. However, Years ago I was different and needed better planning. My work taught me how to budget my hours for a report or a project. Then we began to use Gantt Charts and set Milestones as a way to build to a completed job.

So I tried it with a diorama—maybe my first attempt to make a diorama with more than 3 figures.

Excuse the big photos. My internet is out so I’m using my iPhone photos.
My plan was to build a diorama of French Foot Artillerymen firing a cannon. I was inspired by a photo of Civil War reenactors— maybe a photo I took. The gun crew were posed in anticipation of the gun’s discharge. The figures display action while in a frozen pose.

I started a journal where I laid out my ideas. I made sketches of action poses and drew out a placement and number of men. Should I have 2 officers standing as uninterested observers? I included objectives of new skills I would have to learn to finish this complex diorama.

I bought 5 or 6 plastic Historex figures and a lead French 12-pounder. I cut the arms and legs to obtain the right pose. I added individuality to each soldier, such as giving one a cooking pan strapped to his pack. The one in back is holding a shovel. I finished painting most of the figures— some lacked minor details. The cannon was painted with the barrel using oil paint.

Then I got stumped on the base. This was the part I dreaded. How should the terrain be laid out? A small knoll? How would I make the foliage— short grass or barren dirt road?

Delays began to push this project further out. Finally I boxed the pieces up and put it into storage. Some arms & hats fell off— or were never glued on.
BTW, the guy at Right Front position is missing his arm & the ramrod.

A78B0C75-1D38-4B83-B08B-C07574B4657F.jpeg

6E554F81-5891-420B-8510-F64C12B29C1D.jpeg

FA5618C5-1165-4C1D-8A44-BE89DBB5FD83.jpeg

EAD4BDD3-BAA3-4BA6-9E82-97CD94124B81.jpeg

4BE409EC-7AA0-4C59-BA39-4F1F7A4F28BD.jpeg

4B934F8A-983B-499C-ADEF-4119A882B5E4.jpeg

I see a glimpse of hope that this might get completed.

Last edited:

An artist cannot plan his masterpiece on a budget or schedule its completion. However, Years ago I was different and needed better planning. My work taught me how to budget my hours for a report or a project. Then we began to use Gantt Charts and set Milestones as a way to build to a completed job.

So I tried it with a diorama—maybe my first attempt to make a diorama with more than 3 figures.

Excuse the big photos. My internet is out so I’m using my iPhone photos.
My plan was to build a diorama of French Foot Artillerymen firing a cannon. I was inspired by a photo of Civil War reenactors— maybe a photo I took. The gun crew were posed in anticipation of the gun’s discharge. The figures display action while in a frozen pose.

I started a journal where I laid out my ideas. I made sketches of action poses and drew out a placement and number of men. Should I have 2 officers standing as uninterested observers? I included objectives of new skills I would have to learn to finish this complex diorama.

I bought 5 or 6 plastic Historex figures and a lead French 12-pounder. I cut the arms and legs to obtain the right pose. I added individuality to each soldier, such as giving one a cooking pan strapped to his pack. I finished painting most of the figures— some lacked minor details. The cannon was painted with the barrel using oil paint.

Then I got stumped on the base. This was the part I dreaded. How should the terrain be laid out? A small knoll? How would I make the foliage— short grass or barren dirt road?

Delays began to push this project further out. Finally I boxed the pieces up and put it into storage. Some arms & hats fell off— or were never glued on.
BTW, the guy at Right Front position is missing his arm & the ramrod.

View attachment 407574
View attachment 407575
View attachment 407576
View attachment 407577
View attachment 407578
View attachment 407579

Those figures and the cannon look great ! Very well done and I really like your sketches as well .

Did I mention I’m bored? No TV cable and no internet. It is like Im reliving the 1960’s.

I found other figures in the same storage box with my French Artillery.

First— I bought this bust. I decided to use it to practice panting faces. I used Oil paints. I normally dont like busts but this turned out so well that I wish I bought more busts.
18A594BC-C516-4212-87F3-057AC795E64C.jpeg

2 inches from bottom of coat to too of head.
884B0615-A2FB-4BD8-B74A-80D89FD1A14F.jpeg

Inspired by a scene in the movie “Battle of Britian”, I used an extra airplane kit figure and created a freight dolly to build this scene. I didnt know the German translation.
(1-1/2 inch tall figure. Maybe 1/48 scale)

D2715085-FB40-40A4-BED7-E1D26B5DE2BC.jpeg

Im almost sure this is an Airfix kit. I think I altered his arms to a new pose. Part of his ramrod broke off. I built the 2-piece wood stand.

A3F6A642-0C55-42F4-A0A7-24D43E596C0B.jpeg

Last edited:
The Coldstream Guard was Airfix. I had one also but I never built it and have no idea where it is . The bust was by Worster I think . They are now out of business . That's got to be Ewell . Very nice work .

An artist cannot plan his masterpiece on a budget or schedule its completion.

From what I understand, this is very similar to how sculptures plan their life sized (or larger) bronze statues.

More inspiration
47764d260dc231e838d6cc099f5ee36b.jpg

Should I have 2 officers standing as uninterested observers?

Why not 'interested' observer(s), with monocular watching the fall of the battery's shots?

Like this guy, but Foot Artillery of course
https://www.ebay.com/itm/3244335487...1291&msclkid=4459d5c1aa77134ae813b52b251b1cb1

Last edited:
It really deserves to be completed.
It really deserves to be completed.
As you know from our Conversations, I now have 2 artillery dioramas to complete.

BCE71C3D-6CF8-41D6-858D-A2FF948FAF4F.jpeg

I did recently use Vallejo(sp?) paints to weather the 105mm Howitzer. The terrain and bunker still needs a lot of work.

The focal point of my French artillery diorama was planned to be the cannon’s primer ignition. I planned to install a tiny wire covered with cotton that represented the powder burning in the touch hole. Ive done this before to add flames to WW2 airplanes.

Here is how it should look with the added smoke—- which I added by editing this photo.
Notice that my sketch included this smoke.
44385ED6-73FF-49CE-9643-F5E07E5F8AB7.jpeg

98451587-2D5B-4FB5-97EA-55A216BA3252.jpeg

Looking forward to your French artillery diorama! I think you have the beginnings of something really cool there. And your drawings are pretty impressive too!

I wish Historex was still around.

John

Back