Miniatures Share Your Non-Civil War Miniatures Here!

CivilWarTalk

Lieutenant General
- ★★★ -
Managing Member & Webmaster
This Thread is here specifically as a place to post any photos of Non-Civil War Miniatures, either your work, or your photos of amazing work you think is worthy of showing off to others!

Please don't post Non-Civil War Miniatures photos anywhere but this thread!

Please don't post any Civil War Era Miniatures in this thread! If you see that someone has mistakenly done this, please report it and we will probably move it out and turn it into it's own thread so it can be featured on the forum and shared properly!

Thanks!

Ouch !! just got a slap off the wife......thanks Kurt. :D
Sorry . There probably is no good way to phrase it. "You are good with female figures"....not going to work . "You do an excellent job on women's busts" ....definitely not going to work . How about "You are an excellent sculptor of historical figures of all historical periods , genders and nationalities .

Lyudmila Pavlichenko

Lyudmila Pavlichenko was the most successful female Russian sniper of WW2.
She was credited with 309 official confirmed kills and during the war she visited the U.S.A and Canada and was presented with an engraved Colt 1911 pistol and a Winchester model 70 rifle.

An interesting article about her and her connection with Eleanor Roosevelt can be found at -
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/eleanor-roosevelt-and-the-soviet-sniper-23585278/
Even Woody Guthrie wrote a song in her honour.

I sculpted this figure from a picture sent to me in 2010.
The Bust was made using Super-Sculpey Clay in a 1/10th Scale ( approx 4 inch)
I built up the head on a wooden pole and started to get a likeness.
pavlichenko.jpg
IMG_2618.JPG

Next worked on building up the body. To save on using a large amount of Clay I simply scrunched up Aluminum baking foil and covered it in a thin layer of Clay.

IMG_2623.JPG
IMG_2625.JPG

Next I added the arms, and the jacket which I learned later is called a Telogreika.

IMG_2628.JPG
IMG_2630.JPG

The most difficult to build was the Mosin sniper rifle, made using Magic-Sculpt ,Duro , Brass and Plastic tube and a great deal of sanding.
The last picture is the completed figure.

IMG_2639.JPG
IMG_2654.JPG

Lyudmila Pavlichenko

Lyudmila Pavlichenko was the most successful female Russian sniper of WW2.
She was credited with 309 official confirmed kills and during the war she visited the U.S.A and Canada and was presented with an engraved Colt 1911 pistol and a Winchester model 70 rifle.

An interesting article about her and her connection with Eleanor Roosevelt can be found at -
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/eleanor-roosevelt-and-the-soviet-sniper-23585278/
Even Woody Guthrie wrote a song in her honour.

I sculpted this figure from a picture sent to me in 2010.
The Bust was made using Super-Sculpey Clay in a 1/10th Scale ( approx 4 inch)
I built up the head on a wooden pole and started to get a likeness.
View attachment 402156 View attachment 402207

Next worked on building up the body. To save on using a large amount of Clay I simply scrunched up Aluminum baking foil and covered it in a thin layer of Clay.

View attachment 402239 View attachment 402240

Next I added the arms, and the jacket which I learned later is called a Telogreika.

View attachment 402241 View attachment 402242

The most difficult to build was the Mosin sniper rifle, made using Magic-Sculpt ,Duro , Brass and Plastic tube and a great deal of sanding.
The last picture is the completed figure.

View attachment 402243 View attachment 402244
Excellent likeness. It may be your best yet . Really like the uniform and hat as well . A few years back you could get surplus Mosin Nagants here in the U.S. quite cheaply . Not anymore .

Excellent likeness. It may be your best yet . Really like the uniform and hat as well . A few years back you could get surplus Mosin Nagants here in the U.S. quite cheaply . Not anymore .
Thanks Kurt, it was certainly one that I enjoyed doing. Wow I could only dream about owning a Mosin Nagant, couldn't happen this side of the pond.

Thanks Kurt, it was certainly one that I enjoyed doing. Wow I could only dream about owning a Mosin Nagant, couldn't happen this side of the pond.
At one time they went for $100.00 . I knew of one person who had a collection of nearly 30 of them . He was trying to get examples of all the factories and the years they were made , round receiver versus hex receiver , etc . Many people bought them for an inexpensive deer hunting rifle .

I agree with Kurt, it may be your best yet. I'm anxious to see your next sniper, and I think you should put the series out for sale.

I saw a movie about her about six months ago. It pretty much followed her life, especially her visit to the U. S. and her friendship with Elenore Roosevelt. The name of the movie was "Battle of Sevastopol" and it was pretty good.

With regards to the Mosin Nagant, I purchase my first years ago for $100. It was the standard infantry model 91/30 made in 1943. A few years later I purchased another 91/30 but this time it was the sniper's version made in 1944 for $400 and looks exactly like the rifle Pavlichenko used. I suspect it may not be a true snipers model, but was put together from parts. Even back then a true snipers rifle would have cost 2-3 times what I paid for mine.

I agree with Kurt, it may be your best yet. I'm anxious to see your next sniper, and I think you should put the series out for sale.

I saw a movie about her about six months ago. It pretty much followed her life, especially her visit to the U. S. and her friendship with Elenore Roosevelt. The name of the movie was "Battle of Sevastopol" and it was pretty good.

With regards to the Mosin Nagant, I purchase my first years ago for $100. It was the standard infantry model 91/30 made in 1943. A few years later I purchased another 91/30 but this time it was the sniper's version made in 1944 for $400 and looks exactly like the rifle Pavlichenko used. I suspect it may not be a true snipers model, but was put together from parts. Even back then a true snipers rifle would have cost 2-3 times what I paid for mine.
Many thanks, the next Sniper I did was a 120mm figure which I'll post here probably next week.
Just watched the trailer for the film "Battle of Savastopol", looks really good , will have to watch out for it on the Film channels. :thumbsup:
Lucky you having the 2nd Amendment, over here the only people having guns are mainly Police, Farmers and Criminals.

At one time they went for $100.00 . I knew of one person who had a collection of nearly 30 of them . He was trying to get examples of all the factories and the years they were made , round receiver versus hex receiver , etc . Many people bought them for an inexpensive deer hunting rifle .
I bought a nice one for around $150 or thereabouts, but subsequently sold it to the son of my friend Doug @1863surgeon. The trouble with all those was that when they were dumped on the U.S. market they had been in storage for decades and at some point they were disassembled and rebuilt using the scrambled parts in no particular order, making them essentially just so much junk for serious collectors. Mine was dated in the 1920's and LOOKED good but had refinished wood which did NOT look like it was almost a century old.

Back