Sgt Steele's small arms of the Infantry exhibit

johan_steele

Regimental Armorer
Retired Moderator
Every once in a while I am asked to put together an ACW firearms display... some accuse me of doing a nice job. They keep giving me picnic tables to put my display on, takes some figuring to make it look acceptable.

I need 6 more arms to make the display complete. M1817 rifle, M1855 rifle, M1861, French rifle, Special Model 1861, Lorenz & a Spencer Rifle. I have a good start.

2016 Waukon.JPG
12033564_1470112669984846_748758699_n.jpg
Sgt. Steele at Leduc's home.jpg
SAM_0479.JPG
OHS 4.JPG

Every once in a while I am asked to put together an ACW firearms display... some accuse me of doing a nice job. They keep giving me picnic tables to put my display on, takes some figuring to make it look acceptable.

I need 6 more arms to make the display complete. M1817 rifle, M1855 rifle, M1861, French rifle, Special Model 1861, Lorenz & a Spencer Rifle. I have a good start.

View attachment 102333 View attachment 102334 View attachment 102335 View attachment 102336 View attachment 102337

johan_steele,

A **** good start, that's for sure!

Sincerely,
Unionblue

Very nice displays @johan_steele, but aren't they a little lean on Confederate?
There's a P53 & a P58 as well as an M1841 in the group. My talks usually are catered to the state ie Minnesota, Iowa, Illinois,Wisonsin. Not too many Richmond or such arms carried by those men... thank God as I already still need to get six more.

Once you start you can't stop.

This is the reason I don't try to collect originals, there would be no end to it with me. I know of a collector who had 200 (Enfields) and never considered it a complete collection. It would get out of hand pretty quickly...That said, very nice representative sample of Civil War rifles and muskets common to Union soldiers from the Northwest. Question: what is the rifle with the brass bands at the top of the 1st image in color?

Last edited:
This is the reason I don't try to collect originals, there would be no end to it with me. I know of a collector who had 200 (Enfields) and never considered it a complete collection. It would get out of hand pretty quickly...That said, very nice representative sample of Civil War rifles and muskets common to Union soldiers from the Northwest. Question: what is the rifle with the brass bands at the top of the 1st image in color?

I'll be happy with just sixty... I mean six more. The top arm you asked of is a shortened Potsdam. Interesting arm as there was a drygoods seller in Philadelphia prior to the war who was importing surplus arms from the continent on the cheap. Any damaged arms he would send to a local gunsmith to repair, this is one that has had the stock professionally shortened. They would then be sold to settlers & immigrants heading west. His prices were cut throat when compared to newly manufactured arms.

Wow!!!! I assume you're not married.
What is the top musket in the first picture? A shortened Prussian?
I am happily married, at least the wife hasn't handed me any yellow jasmine tea yet. She allows me a rifle every other year now. But at some point I have to get her a yellow boy Winchester... I married a woman of taste.

I am happily married, at least the wife hasn't handed me any yellow jasmine tea yet. She allows me a rifle every other year now. But at some point I have to get her a yellow boy Winchester... I married a woman of taste.

If your wife wants an original Yellow Boy Winchester, then you won't be adding any Confederate long arms to your collection anytime soon.

johan_steele,

A **** good start, that's for sure!
I second what @unionblue said ^^^^^ :bounce::dance::bounce:

In seriousness..... its a fine collection. Im sure the observers as well as the men long gone who actually participated appreciate such a fine tribute . Salute to you, @johan_steele
Thank you for sharing it with us.

As for no CSA guns any one could have been carried by CSA men
Those guns have been gotten over several years . Much cheaper than wine Women and song.
None are high value guns, they have all been well used, If they could talk they would have a story to tell. I know I have seen them and fondled them.

Last edited:
Last weekend at Waukon, Iowa attendance was quite low due to the weather. I visited with probably less than 100 people but as seems to be the norm at this event were some of the young people.

IIRC it was last year I was asked some splendid questions by a young lady who was a competition shooter. This year it was three HS aged girls who kept asking me good questions about the arms. Details on the percussion system, how they were used etc.

The blistering heat was well worth it just to see the spark of interest in the eyes of the youth.

Back