Impressions Sewing Basics for Reenactors

That is a very good introduction to sewing. I learned from my dad, who learned to sew when he joined the Navy before the war. I always had trouble sewing leather, pretty good with the rest. Good luck Albert.

heard you say that you were a 1st Sargent and I just recently received same rank. Can you tell me what kind of stitch you used to sew the chevrons on and could you show a pic of the finished product so I can make sure I do it right. thanks in advance

heard you say that you were a 1st Sargent and I just recently received same rank. Can you tell me what kind of stitch you used to sew the chevrons on and could you show a pic of the finished product so I can make sure I do it right. thanks in advance
In my experience, unless that is a “permanent” rank (as permanent as things can be in reenacting), your best bet is to use a simple straight stitch, as loosely as possible to still keep the patch in place. If you need to remove the patch for events where you are not a sergeant, it will be much easier, and if you leave it on there for several events in a row you may end up with a dark, sergeant stripes-shaped mark on your sleeves when it is finally removed.

Back