Seven stories of love and the Civil War

SWMODave

Sergeant Major
Thread Medic
unidentified couples.jpg

Unidentified War Couples
Love story #1

Albert P. Morehouse was born on July 11, 1835, in Delaware County, Ohio, the son of Stephen Morehouse, a native of Newark County, New Jersey, and Harriett Wood Morehouse, a native of New York and the daughter of Russell Wood, who also later settled in Delaware county, Ohio. Albert's education was limited, but at age eighteen he began teaching school in Ohio, and in 1856 moved to Nodaway County, Missouri, where he continued teaching and studied law. In 1860 he was admitted to the bar, begining practice in Montgomery County, Iowa.

When the Civil War began Morehouse moved back to Nodaway County and was a schoolteacher in the Graham area. In November 1861 he enlisted in Colonel Kimball's SixMonth Militia for the Union side and was elected as first lieutenant of Company E, made up of Nodaway County men. After the six-month period expired, Morehouse enrolled in the Thirtysixth Enrolled Missouri Militia, Company G, and was promoted to assistant provost marshal in 1862, and finally to quartermaster sergeant.

While the militia was camped in Lafayette County, Missouri, Morehouse and his men visited the McFadden farmhouse where the daughter provided the soldiers with food and even made tea for them. Morehouse was struck by the beauty of Mattie McFadden, and she, in turn, was attracted to the tall, handsome lieutenant. The couple corresponded, kept in touch during the war, and were married in 1865, in Lexington, Missouri. They had three children, Nannie, Anna, and Edwin.

Love story #2

Campfire Sketches and Battlefield Echos by Dr W Hudgin

On August 22, 1862, quite a sharp artillery fight took place at Freeman's ford, with some loss to both sides. The Federal batteries succeeded in throwing a shell into the head of Elwell's column had passed Gaines barn, and this shell killed two men and wounded sixteen. One of the wounded I dressed, and left with little hope of ever seeing him alive again. He had three holes in his right side, a portion of the liver had been torn out and one of his ribs had been broken. Besides all these wounds, the cartridge box he wore had exploded and made a large bruised and burned place on his back. His clothing was torn to shreds. I did my best to dress his wounds and laid him tenderly under the shade of a dogwood tree by the roadside, as I believed, to die. But he did not die; he fell into the hands of some noble women, got well and went to the front again. When the war was ended he returned and married his nurse - a noble girl, who had watched and tended him through his terrible sufferings.

Love story #3

2.jpg

(Tragic) Love story #4

In Camp and Battle With the Washington Artillery

3.jpg

Love story #5

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

from the New York Herald Aug 10 and 16th, 1864
The complete story of young love can be found in “Letters of a War Correspondent”

Love story #6

8.jpg

9.jpg

9a.jpg

And finally, a true Love Story #7

St Louis Republic Feb 10, 1901 (sorry for poor quality)

9b.jpg

Back