The Peninsula Seven Days Sesquicentennial

Floridaman1985

Corporal
Annual Winner
I recently attended all four of the 150th anniversary events at the Seven Days Battlefields. I'm sure I'm not the only poster who was there! The NPS put on many programs including excellent ranger guided walks. The walks focused particular key events and were designed to take place at approximately the same time of day that those battlefield events occurred 150 years ago. The Malvern Hill walk was cancelled due to the excessive heat that weekend. I learned a ton about all four battles and gained an even greater appreciation and understanding of what took place. Pictures to follow.

On a slightly eerie note, I found out less than a week before the 150th anniversary events took place that I had a relative who fought in some of these battles. His name was George Job Huntley and he was in the 34th NC. He is my Great Great Great Great Uncle. He was wounded at Gaines's Mill. Later he was mortally wounded during the first day at Gettysburg and died on the 2nd of July, 1863. My Dad figured this out on a whim the week before. Further, I had only arrived in Richmond two weeks before the 150ths to take a job with the state. I had a 9 month ordeal trying to land a job in my field and I was lucky to have even found the post advertising the job. Anyway, it is almost as if events came together in order for me (one of his closest living kin) to be able to honor him (particularly Gaines's Mill). And all this time I thought my affinity for Gaines's Mill was because it sounds like Gainesville, Florida.

Floridaman1985

Corporal
Annual Winner
Ed Bearrs giving a speech on the Seven Days Battles:

IMG_3241.JPG

Floridaman1985

Corporal
Annual Winner
Union artillery position during the later phases of the Battle of Glendale. Protecting Willis Church Road Looking toward the Confederate advance (and a bunch of power poles). The third grey/metal pole marks the original Union position and the approximate location of the previous picture in this thread.

IMG_3313.JPG

Floridaman1985

Corporal
Annual Winner
Thanks! I dropped my camera a few weeks ago and it messed up the battery connections. I have to turn the camera upside down in order to take photos. If I don't, the camera shuts off immediately or won't turn on at all. It still works, but for whatever reason that drains the batteries a lot faster. Guess I should purchase a new one, eh? Anyway, all of my photos were taken with an upside down camera.