The Peninsula Appomattox Overland Seven Days Battlefields, Overland Campaign and Lee's Retreat to Appomattox Tour

(Wilderness, Spotsylvania, North Anna, Cold Harbor)
We walked the trails at Gaines' Mill, Cold Harbor and Malvern Hill. My son and I started out our tour today stoping by the Chickahominy River Bluff and finished at Drewry's Bluff (Fort Darling). We toured the Seven Days Battle sites and the Overland Campaign sites listed in the official NPS brochure with map. We also toured the Berkeley Plantation and Deep Bottom Landing.

Bill
You have to walk the trails at Gaines' Mill. :D What is there to see at Deep Bottom Landing? I seem to recall hearing that not much was there.

Bill... How did you like Malvern Hill? I know that you were really looking forward to it.

It was very impressive early this morning when I got got there! Us midwest boys can't really imagine the terrain around there without experiencing it.

6 out of 5 Silver Stars!!!

I highly recommend the visitor to walk the terrain.

After our Malvern Hill tour, we traveled to the Berkley Plantation complex. I knew President William Henry Harrison was born in Virginia but I did not know he was born on this plantation home. He is buried in North Bend, Ohio. This small Ohio River village is in my beat. I usually eat lunch with our 9th President of the United States.

Bill

You have to walk the trails at Gaines' Mill. :D What is there to see at Deep Bottom Landing? I seem to recall hearing that not much was there.

Deep Bottom has one Civil War Trails marker and a wonderful view of the river. A pontoon bridge was heavily traveled by Federal troops and wagons at this spot of the James River. We drove in, snapped a couple of photos and traveled to Fort Brady.

Bill

Deep Bottom has one Civil War Trails marker and a wonderful view of the river. A pontoon bridge was heavily traveled by Federal troops and wagons at this spot of the James River. We drove in, snapped a couple of photos and traveled to Fort Brady.

Bill
Seem to recall when I read The Last Citadel by Noah Trudeau,that there were a coupla sharp fights at Deep Bottom during the Petersburg siege.

* Five Forks Battlefield

IMG_20160513_082413196.jpg

* Lee's Retreat Tour (Nazomine Church)

IMG_20160513_092624443.jpg

* LRT (Amelia Court House)

IMG_20160513_190019.jpg

* LRT (Sailor's Creek Battlefield)

IMG_20160513_200432.jpg

* LRT (High Bridge)

IMG_20160513_190134.jpg

* Appomattox Court House (Mclean House)

IMG_20160513_200301.jpg

* Appomattox Station

IMG_20160513_181719117_HDR.jpg

Seem to recall when I read The Last Citadel by Noah Trudeau,that there were a coupla sharp fights at Deep Bottom during the Petersburg siege.

Fighting just north of the landing. There was nothing preserved or interrupted (except CWT marker) about the battles of Deep Bottom or New Market Heights.

Bill

* Five Forks Battlefield

View attachment 99883

* Lee's Retreat Tour (Nazomine Church)

View attachment 99884

* LRT (Amelia Court House)

View attachment 99886

* LRT (Sailor's Creek Battlefield)

View attachment 99889

* LRT (High Bridge)

View attachment 99890

* Appomattox Court House (Mclean House)

View attachment 99891

* Appomattox Station

View attachment 99893
Great pics again and great weather too it looks like. Didja get a chance to go in the Visitor Center at Five Forks? Kinda neat little place. I watched the short video when I was there in January.

Great pics again and great weather too it looks like. Didja get a chance to go in the Visitor Center at Five Forks? Kinda neat little place. I watched the short video when I was there in January.

Negative......

A NPS Ranger at the Petersburg National Battlefield advised the new visitor center opened at 0800 hours. The opening time was 0900 hours. I took some photos of the VC and markers.

Bill

Amelia Court House,Sayler's Creek and High Bridge are on my list. Got a friend that lives in Amelia Court House.

Negative......

A NPS Ranger at the Petersburg National Battlefield advised the new visitor center opened at 0800 hours. The opening time was 0900 hours. I took some photos of the VC and markers.

Bill
Bummer.

I highly recommend the Lee's Retreat Tour (South Station, Petersburg, Virginia to the Appomattox Train Station in Appomattox, Virginia)! We started at 0700 hours and arrived at the Appomattox Court House Historic Park at 1430 hours. We toured this NPS complex in two hours. Then we toured the Battle of Appomattox Station, the Appomattox Court House (modern) and Appomattox Station (Visitor Station). We ate dinner at Grandma Bee's Restaurant and checked into our Bed and Breakfast (Longacre).

Bill

I highly recommend the Lee's Retreat Tour (South Station, Petersburg, Virginia to the Appomattox Train Station in Appomattox, Virginia)! We started at 0700 hours and arrived at the Appomattox Court House Historic Park at 1430 hours. We toured this NPS complex in two hours. Then we toured the Battle of Appomattox Station, the Appomattox Court House (modern) and Appomattox Station (Visitor Station). We ate dinner at Grandma Bee's Restaurant and checked into our Bed and Breakfast (Longacre).

Bill
I went to Lynchburg, Appomattox Court House and the MOC in January 2014. Wanna go again and hit the other Appomattox spots and places in Lynchburg. Only had time to go to the Lynchburg Museum in 2014.

Next visit......

The Appomattox Museum was closed at 1700 hours. We arrived too late.....

Bill
Double bummer. Only so many things you can do in one day though. Gen. Jackson would be proud of your hard march today.:D Maybe I should say Gen. Grant. :grant:

Bill
I missed that one...... next time !!

Back