The Peninsula Appomattox Overland Seven Days Battlefields, Overland Campaign and Lee's Retreat to Appomattox Tour

KLSDAD

First Sergeant
Honored Fallen Comrade
Fighting just north of the landing. There was nothing preserved or interrupted (except CWT marker) about the battles of Deep Bottom or New Market Heights.

Bill

Bill and I split up Thursday morning so we visited the same area separately.

You can take I295 and get off at the Hwy 5 (New Market Road) exit then proceed east toward the Malvern Hill Battlefield.

From there take 156 north to Darbytown Road and proceed west on that road until you get to the vicinity of the Ft Harrison NPS property. Go south along it until you run out of park to see then proceed back east via Kinglsand Rd and New Market to your starting point.

Explore the main roads in between and you will have covered the battles of Chaffins Farm, New Market Heights, Darbytown, First Deep Bottom and Second Deep Bottom. Grab some battle maps from civilwar.org and the NPS to take along.

Those directions may seem vague but its not that big an area.

James N.

Colonel
Forum Host
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
This is reminding me of the whirlwind 3-week tour I made with my friend Mike the summer we graduated from high school in 1964; we went from Dallas, Texas, to Gettysburg and back and probably spent about as long at each place as you seem to have. Gettysburg was the only place we devoted at least a couple of days to. Imagine visiting D. C. and: climbing the Washington Monument (because we were too cheap and impatient for the elevator); visiting my senator's office and getting passes for the Senate and going there; the Smithsonian; Jefferson Memorial; Lincoln Memorial; Arlington Cemetery and the Lee Mansion; and the USMC Memorial - all in a single day! Now I hate this type of touring and try to confine my vacations to smaller areas with more time spent in each location. I'm looking forward to the CWT meeting in Gettysburg this September and spending several days there.

dlavin

Sergeant Major
I highly recommend the Lee's Retreat Tour (South Station, Petersburg, Virginia to the Appomattox Train Station in Appomattox, Virginia)! We started at 0700 hours and arrived at the Appomattox Court House Historic Park at 1430 hours. We toured this NPS complex in two hours. Then we toured the Battle of Appomattox Station, the Appomattox Court House (modern) and Appomattox Station (Visitor Station). We ate dinner at Grandma Bee's Restaurant and checked into our Bed and Breakfast (Longacre).

Bill

Very valuable information! Great tour idea. Thanks for sharing. And great photos as well. So many sites, so little time...

Buckeye Bill

Captain
Forum Host
Annual Winner
This is reminding me of the whirlwind 3-week tour I made with my friend Mike the summer we graduated from high school in 1964; we went from Dallas, Texas, to Gettysburg and back and probably spent about as long at each place as you seem to have. Gettysburg was the only place we devoted at least a couple of days to. Imagine visiting D. C. and: climbing the Washington Monument (because we were too cheap and impatient for the elevator); visiting my senator's office and getting passes for the Senate and going there; the Smithsonian; Jefferson Memorial; Lincoln Memorial; Arlington Cemetery and the Lee Mansion; and the USMC Memorial - all in a single day! Now I hate this type of touring and try to confine my vacations to smaller areas with more time spent in each location. I'm looking forward to the CWT meeting in Gettysburg this September and spending several days there.

I was born in 1964.....

Semper Fi, James!

Bill

Buckeye Bill

Captain
Forum Host
Annual Winner
Very valuable information! Great tour idea. Thanks for sharing. And great photos as well. So many sites, so little time...

All of these photos were captured with my Android Razor. I will download the photos from my Nikon 3100 soon.....

Bill

Buckeye Bill

Captain
Forum Host
Annual Winner
The only venue which was a big disappointment was the White Oak Road CWT Battlefield. The main marker and trail markers were faded and the trail was filled with overgrowth. The earthworks were well preserved on this trail but overall a big disappointment.

Bill

KLSDAD

First Sergeant
Honored Fallen Comrade
The only venue which was a big disappointment was the White Oak Road CWT Battlefield. The main marker and trail markers were faded and the trail was filled with overgrowth. The earthworks were well preserved on this trail but overall a big disappointment.

Bill
Which one was that?

Buckeye Bill

Captain
Forum Host
Annual Winner
Which one was that?

white-oak-road-march-31.jpg

KLSDAD

First Sergeant
Honored Fallen Comrade

Bill
They must have been so overgrown that I missed them. I did walk the trail that led to the other side of White Oak Road and started on that trail across the road that looked to be a very new acquisition. I didn't go very far since the first sign had little to do with the battle. It led me to believe that the info would be more about the family that owned and donated the property.