Settlement in Nacogdoches Texas in New Spain.

Wolfman0125

Private
My 5th Great Grandfather was Don Antonio Gil Y’Barbo. Born in Los Adaes, New Spain now in Louisiana which was the first capitol of the Tejas Territory before Austin became the new capital

He was Lt. Governor, Cpt of the militia, Judge over contraband, Indian Agent, and founder of Nacogdoches Texas. In the 1793 Census, it shows a community comprised of Spanish, Mexican, Indians, Blacks, and mixed race peoples. In the census report it records free people listed as Mestizo and Mestiza, (people of mixed Hispanic and Indian ethnicity) and Mulatto (people of mixed Spanish and Black ethnicity.) interesting enough the terminology used by Spain for indentured or enslaved people was Coyote, Coyota, and Lobo. (Considered derogatory terms for the period for people of the same race.) I believe that they used these distinctions to further isolate themselves within their conscience that they ethically were no different from those that were enslaved. The Spanish government discouraged racial intermixing as polluting the blood as found in many propaganda posters of the period.
However, Mexico made no such distinctions. Many people who were enslaved were actually indentured servants who sold themselves to pay for passage to the new world. Indentured people agree to work for a specified amount of time for no pay in payment of a debt. They were usually afforded lodging, food and bare necessities. Though my line was predominantly Spanish the 1793 record shows a Miguel Y’Barbo who was recorded as being Yndio, Nacion Apache, living with a Mullato wife. However, he was not a relative of my Ancestor. It was commonplace for servants or slaves to take on the name of who they worked for or was owned by.

E902971A-FD7B-4663-955C-AF3526B9A38C.jpeg
6CC36EF2-EB20-4093-BEAF-EDCCFF050836.jpeg

0F9D0616-10FF-402E-8748-B2505611FFF7.jpeg
F5878716-F72D-43B1-AAA5-C6DE6911A6E0.jpeg

Back