1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

September to Remember 2017 Retreat From Gettysburg!

Discussion in 'The Civil War Traveler's Companion' started by War Horse, Feb 5, 2017.

1. War Horse

War Horse Captain Forum Host Silver Patron Trivia Game Winner Regtl. Quartermaster Gettysburg 2016 Member of the Year

Our membership has been demanding (for lack of better words) a follow-up to last years "Let the Pilgrimage Begin" CWT reunion. Well all the pieces have come together. We have a once in a lifetime opportunity to join @Eric Wittenberg on a bus tour from Gettysburg to Falling Waters ( Williamsport ) and retrace the steps of the Confederate army as they retreated after the devastating loss at Gettysburg. Learn why George Gordon Meade chose the route he decided upon and why the AOP seemed sluggish in its follow-up to the failed Pickett, Pettigrew, Trimble charge.

This reunion will involve a bus tour departing Gettysburg on Friday Morning and lasting all day. We will stop and see for ourselves where the action took place. We will learn the pressures handed down to Meade which ultimately effected the performance of the AOP,

This is a unique opportunity to explore an often forgot about chapter in the ACW with our own expert on the subject!

The weekend will include accommodations, a group meal and bus tickets. We will require firm commitments as there will be an expense this time. I will keep it as low as possible. I'm truly excited about this opportunity and can't wait to see my friends again.

----------------------
    Big News Everyone. It looks like we have a date for our "Retreat from Gettysburg Tour" We also have some very exciting news about expenses.

Date of the Tour: Friday September 29, 2017

Tour Bus Company: Wolf Tour Lines: Cost will be based on number of attendee's. An approx. cost at this time is an incredibly inexpensive $30.00 per person. $30.00 for an entire day of history amongst friends. and experts :smile:

Dinner: Above O'Rorkes Friday night

Accommodations: 30 block of rooms at "The 1863 Inn of Gettysburg" Friday, Saturday and Sunday evenings.

We will meet at the Visitors Center Friday Morning. @Eric Wittenberg and I will determine the time we shall meet and what lot to meet in.

We will depart early AM and return Friday evening. The tour will consist of multiple stops on our way to Williamsport. There will be a lunch stop.

The late September date should also allow for some spectacular foliage scenery along the way.

Eric Wittenberg has done a tremendous amount of research into The ANV and AOP actions following the battle. This is a tremendous opportunity to learn from an expert the activities of the AOP and ANV between July 4, 1863 and the arrival of Grant. To many times we jump from Gettysburg right to the Overland Campaign. There is a lot of action and history that took place immediately following the battle of Gettysburg and Grants arrival. If you haven't studied it in the past, you will be amazed at the movement of the two armies and the decisions made by each commander. It's simply fascinating.

Please check you calendars and let me know if you would like to book a reservation. I will handle it the same way if did last September and build a spread sheet. We will need definite commitments. The largest charter bus holds up to 60 people.

Any questions please feel free to ask.

Here we go again :smile:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2017

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. E_just_E

E_just_E 1st Lieutenant Forum Host

That I know. I was thinking of Lee's 7/4 report, and Charles Payton's 7/9 report that indicates his location as "Confederate Camp near Winchester, MD"

4. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  5. Eric Wittenberg

Eric Wittenberg 2nd Lieutenant

On 7/4, Lee was still at Gettysburg. The 7/9 report must refer to Williamsport, because Winchester, MD is on the Chesapeake Bay near Annapolis and has to be wrong.

Bee and E_just_E like this.
  6. E_just_E

Yes Williamsport. My bad. I had Winchester, VA in mind for something else.

I suspect that you know whereabout the Confederate camp was there (Williamsport), correct?

7. Eric Wittenberg

Eric Wittenberg 2nd Lieutenant

The lines extended from just south of Hagerstown to Falling Waters, E. The Confederate lines--and camps--extended for about 12 miles, give or take.

8. War Horse

War Horse Captain Forum Host Silver Patron Trivia Game Winner Regtl. Quartermaster Gettysburg 2016 Member of the Year

Thanks ami.

9. rpkennedy

rpkennedy Major

I've been mulling over two related but separate tours for September.

The first is "We Were Now Complete Masters of the Field": Ambrose Wright's Brigade at Gettysburg.

The other is currently untitled but will look at Dunbar Ransom's Artillery Brigade.

Any interest in either of those?

Ryan

10. ucvrelics.com

ucvrelics.com Sergeant Major Forum Host

Sounds like a GREAT trip. Can I bring my detector:D

War Horse likes this.
  11. KansasFreestater

KansasFreestater 1st Lieutenant

Due west of the Free State stronghold of Lawrence
    OH. MY. GOSH. There is actually a chance I could do this!!! Can't say for sure, but I am sure interested! I will keep checking in!

12. War Horse

Sounds great

13. E_just_E

Both sound interesting, but Ranse Wright's sounds more interesting to me, in a lot of levels, not the least of which is that Wright was a Know Nothing (and then Constitutional Union in 1860) antislavery politician in Georgia, and you don't find many of those among the General's ranks in the CSA Army... Pretty fascinating guy

Nathanb1, James N. and War Horse like this.
  14. rpkennedy

rpkennedy Major

There are a number of good stories with Ransom's Brigade (John Turnbull's stand and the Gulian Weir/Hancock controversy). But I think I'm leaning toward the Wright tour.

Ryan

Nathanb1 and War Horse like this.
  15. War Horse

What will your tour be E?

16. JerseyBart

JerseyBart Brigadier General Moderator Forum Host

No 1/2 Ironman this year!!!

17. E_just_E

The logical answer should be de-tour (because I really need to finish writing, and I am done with the Gettysburg part of my writing. And I promised myself that I better be done this year)
    but...
    (and I would need to think about the logistics and the presentation)
    there is one thing that I am thinking of as possible future project, and that is following the battle during the first day in the town of Gettysburg, including the hiding place of a certain Union General. Will I be ready to do it justice by then? Likely not and I don't want to half rear end it.

I could do a couple things without much prep: a. Wilcox & Pickett's charge or b. The 20th Maine in Gettysburg. But the level of sarcasm would have to be PG-13.

In other words: I am up to my knees looking at birth records in the early 1850s right now, and I will wing the Gettysburg thing if I had to :wink:

18. rpkennedy

rpkennedy Major

Mine will have a good deal of walking so train up. :sneaky:

Ryan

19. War Horse

Time for an update.

I have begun the spreadsheet. We currently have 20 members and guests who have stated they are definitely in.

What has been arranged so far.

Wolf Tour Bus Lines has been booked; They will pick us up in the parking lot of the 1863 Inn, Friday September 29th at 7:30 AM. @Eric Wittenberg will lead us on the tour of a lifetime. The bus holds 50 passengers. We are almost half way there. No cars will be permitted to tag along :smile: I have taken care of the deposit. The entire expense is due 30 days prior to the event. The collection of funds will need to be organized. I am not opposed to someone else handling the money if that would be preferred by our group.

Dinner: Will be held at O'Rorkes the upstairs venue has been booked: The bus will drop us off at the 1863, we will simply walk across the street and have a wonderful group meal. Just like last year. It was a huge success last year.

Accommodations: We have a signed contract with the 1863 Inn of Gettysburg blocking 30 rooms for our members.

@rpkennedy , @cash , @E_just_E and possibly @James N. are planning tours. More to come as the details become available.

Some things I am kicking around. A group breakfast at General Pickett's Buffet on Sunday morning. As many of us will be departing on Sunday, I thought it might be a nice final group event.

Meet and greet at the Reliance Mine on Thursday September 28th. Just like last year nothing formal. Just stop by and say hi. It was a huge success last year and everyone had a good time.

I will be creating an itinerary and updating the sticky at the beginning of the thread soon to reflect our plans as they develop.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  20. FarawayFriend

FarawayFriend Captain Silver Patron Trivia Game Winner

The group breakfast on Sunday is a great idea! One last get together before everybody heads in their different directions.
    Sounds so great, I'm more than envious!
    But to be able to depart Friday at 7:30 am you probably will have to arrive Thursday evening and spend the night in Gettysburg.
    Aw, that I could come with you!!! Would someone agree to wear a helmet camera please?? :D
    And don't remove it for dinner!

KansasFreestater and War Horse like this.
  21. War Horse

Thanks FF, that's why I've included the evening of the 28th in the blocked dates at the 1863 :smile:

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
    Bee and FarawayFriend like this.
  22. War Horse

I will work on that :smile:

FarawayFriend likes this.
  23. FarawayFriend

FarawayFriend Captain Silver Patron Trivia Game Winner

:smile:
    Perfectly organized! As could be expected!

You are the best! LOL!!

War Horse likes this.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)