• Welcome to the Receipts of the Blue & Gray. - The receipts you will find here are original Antebellum, and Civil War period receipts, as originally published between the years 1796 and 1880. One exception, is: Newspaper Clippings & Periodical Receipts are limited to a publishing period from 1858 to 1866.

Some receipts from this era attempted to give medicinal advice. Many dangerous, and in some cases, deadly, "cures" were given, reflecting the primitive knowledge of that time period. Don't assume everything you read here is safe to try! Recipes and Receipts posted here are for Historic Research Purposes, enjoy them, learn from them, discuss them!

★ If you attempt to try one of these recipes / receipts, you do so at your own risk! ★

• Welcome to CivilWarTalk, a forum about the American Civil War! - Join today! It's fast, simple, and FREE!

Cocktails/Brews Mississippi Punch

mississippi punch
512px-A_Glass_of_Whiskey_on_the_Rocks.jpg
(from How to Mix Drinks, Or The Bon-vivant's Companion, by Jerry Thomas, 1862)

Ingredients:
(Use large bar glass.)​
1 wine glass of brandy​
1/2 wine glass of Jamaica rum​
1/2 wine glass of Bourbon whiskey​
1/2 wine glass of water​
1 1/2 table spoonful of powdered white sugar​
1/2 of a large lemon​

Instructions:

Fill a tumbler with shaved ice.​
The above must be well shaken, and to those who like their draughts "like linked sweetness long drawn out," let them use a glass tube or straw to sip the nectar through. The top of this punch should be ornamented with small pieces of orange, and berries in season.​

Photo by Benjamin Thompson, CC-3.0

NOTE: 1 Wineglass equals 4 Tablespoons

Last edited by a moderator:
"How To Mix Drinks" was originally published in 1862. The book is by Jerry Thomas (1830-1885). He was an American bartender and is considered "the father of American mixology". His creativity and showmanship also established the image of the bartender. He was often nicknamed "Professor Jerry Thomas".

In his book he collected and codified the oral tradition of recipes of cocktails. Some were his own creations and others were the creation of other persons. The book laid down the principles for formulating mixed drinks of all categories.

Jeremiah "Jerry" Thomas was an interesting character. He was born in Oct., 1830 in Sachets Harbor, N.Y. He learned bar tending in New Haven, Conn. He sailed to California in mid 19th century gold rush years. In California he worked as bartender, gold prospector and minstrel show manager.

He came back East and settled in N.Y.C. in 1851. He opened a saloon which was located below Barnum's American Museum.

Over his lifetime he ran 4 saloons in N.Y.C.

He also bar tendered at hotels and saloons in St. Louis, Chicago, San Francisco, Charleston, and New Orleans. He also toured Europe as bartender. He was known for his flashy techniques. He had solid silver bar tools which he used in preparing cocktails.

In 1862 he wrote the "Bartenders Guide". In this book were the first recipes for Brandy Daisy, Fizz, Flip and Sour and the mixed drink called Punch.

He claimed to have written first recipe for the Tom Collins. There is some debate on this.

His signature drink was the Blue Blazer Cocktail. This drink was made by lighting whiskey afire and passing it back and forth between two glasses. It created an arc of flame.

He also claimed to have invented the Tom and Jerry.

In 1866 he opened another saloon in N.Y.C. It was first to display the drawings of Nast. He liked his work very much. He became an art collector also.

At end of his life he lost his money in investing on Wall Street. He had to sell his bar and his art collection. He died in 1885 of a stroke at 55 years old.

1/2 wine glass of Jamaica rum
1/2 wine glass of Bourbon whiskey

I mixed that cocktail with Bacardi 151 rum back in the 1980's.

The end result was not good.

Thankfully, I think Bacardi has stopped making 151.

Not sure if that's correct, but I hope so !

151 was on par with Mexican Tequila or Mezcal . . . with or without the worm.

:laugh:

When I was young, my first permanent duty station (Army) was the 1st Bn, 51st Inf Rgt.
In army lingo that is spoken "1/51".
The drink of choice was obviously Bacardi's 151....by the half gallon....2 or 3 guys.
Yikes.
Almost glad I'm not young anymore!

Drank my share in younger days.

And thank you for your service

I believe this might need to be the official drink of the Vicksburg get-together, @bdtex James N.
:bounce:

In the event I can make a brief appearance at the hotel swimming pool, let me know if everyone is drinking this concoction before I show up.

If they are, I'll probably keep driving up Highway 61 to Memphis.

You're right !

It's safer to bypass Memphis and go straight to Shiloh.

One can still get the same delicious "Memphis Style BBQ" along the way, and the Elvis fans in the group are actually closer to his hometown of Tupelo Mississippi.

lived in Tupelo passed that house for 4 years going and coming from school

lived in Tupelo, passed that house for 4 years going and coming

I've never been to the Elvis boyhood home, but I have been caught up in the tourist traffic around it.

:bat:

Back on the cocktail . . .

Not to detract from @Albert Sailhorst's drink .

But if I'm going to have a classic Mississippi libation, the mint julep will always be my "go to" adult beverage.

:smile coffee:

Only my preference !

:smile:

:bounce:

In the event I can make a brief appearance at the hotel swimming pool, let me know if everyone is drinking this concoction before I show up.

If they are, I'll probably keep driving up Highway 61 to Memphis.

To tie this all together, there used to be a ranger fire tower west of Cleveland that was left unlocked, and some of us Baxter engineers would climb up there on weekend nights and philosophize over a cocktail, such as if the week's invasion of Grenada would cause the movement of the vet school to Grenada Mississippi to save re-monogramming costs, and sometimes including the philosophy of Highway 61 geography.

"Think them lights are Mound Bayou?"

"Mebbe. .... Nah, I think that's Merigold. Mound Bayou's further on."

"Reckon so."

Wasn't always a lot going on in the Delta.

To tie this all together, there used to be a ranger fire tower west of Cleveland that was left unlocked, and some of us Baxter engineers would climb up there on weekend nights and philosophize over a cocktail, such as if the week's invasion of Grenada would cause the movement of the vet school to Grenada Mississippi to save re-monogramming costs, and sometimes including the philosophy of Highway 61 geography.

"Think them lights are Mound Bayou?"

"Mebbe. .... Nah, I think that's Merigold. Mound Bayou's further on."

"Reckon so."

Wasn't always a lot going on in the Delta.

Well, there was a lot going on in Greenville, Mississippi during the 1970's.

My Uncle's 'backyard' bordered upon thousands of acreage planted in cotton & soy beans.

Gawd . . . I still miss watching our Delta Crop Duster pilots do 'their thing'

After one of those flights, I think @Albert Sailhorst's recipe would 'hit the spot'

Last edited:
I've never been to the Elvis boyhood home, but I have been caught up in the tourist traffic around it.

:bat:

Back on the cocktail . . .

Not to detract from @Albert Sailhorst's drink .

But if I'm going to have a classic Mississippi libation, the mint julep will always be my "go to" adult beverage.

:smile coffee:

Only my preference !

:smile:
Keep talking, "off topic", if y'all want to.....I am enjoying the conversation! :smile:

Back