Sept. 12, National Chocolate Milk Shake Day

donna

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Today, Sept. 12 is National Chocolate Milk Shake Day. Chocolate is always my favorite.

The milkshake originated at a Walgreens in Chicago in 1922. It was put together by employee, Ivar "Pop" Coulson. See history and recipe for the chocolate shake at:

https://www.walgreens.com/topic/history/hist4.jsp

Enjoy a chocolate milk shake today!

Goodness, can't remember the last time I had any kind of milkshake, let alone a chocolate one. It'll be warm enough again today, maybe I'll head over to the Ben & Jerry's at lunch time and indulge.

From the Food Network -

Ingredients -
  • 3 scoops chocolate ice cream
  • Chocolate syrup
  • 1/2 cup of milk
Directions - In blender combine all ingredients and blend until smooth. Pour into glass and serve.

Last edited by a moderator:
Today, Sept. 12 is National Chocolate Milk Shake Day. Chocolate is always my favorite.

The milkshake originated at a Walgreens in Chicago in 1922. It was put together by employee, Ivar "Pop" Coulson. See history and recipe for the chocolate shake at:

https://www.walgreens.com/topic/history/hist4.jsp

Enjoy a chocolate milk shake today!
My very first job, at age fifteen, was making milkshakes at McDonald's on Buford Hwy in Doraville, Ga., which will give away my age. I'm guessing it's been 50 years since milk shakes were made from scratch at Mickey D's.

We were allowed to leave the high school campus for lunch back in the early 1960's. A group of us would drive our cars to the local grill for a chocolate milkshake, large french fries and a foot long hot dog with slaw and chili. Every day of the week the same meal. If I did it now I would weigh several tons.

We were allowed to leave the high school campus for lunch back in the early 1960's. A group of us would drive our cars to the local grill for a chocolate milkshake, large french fries and a foot long hot dog with slaw and chili. Every day of the week the same meal. If I did it now I would weigh several tons.

The miracle metabolism of the young! Miss the days of chili cheese fries and milkshakes.

Are beer shakes ok to substitute? All you do is substitute the milk with beer. A lot like how you make a beer float. We used to make them at the fraternity house while I was in college. Otherwise I do love chocolate milkshakes. It is easy to celebrate it today either way.

Are beer shakes ok to substitute? All you do is substitute the milk with beer. A lot like how you make a beer float. We used to make them at the fraternity house while I was in college. Otherwise I do love chocolate milkshakes. It is easy to celebrate it today either way.

In some strange way I could totally see this concept working with a rich Guinness stout. Not sure some of the lighter non-imported beers would be up to the task of pairing well with ice cream. What did you use back in college?

My dad would have loved this day! When I was a kid, I would have loved it with him! I have nothing against ice cream whatsoever these days. It simply has no power over me any longer. I sometimes go a year or more between bites. I always really like it when I taste it.

Back