Sept. 12, National Chocolate Milk Shake Day

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW:REGISTER HERE!

donna

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Today, Sept. 12 is National Chocolate Milk Shake Day. Chocolate is always my favorite.

The milkshake originated at a Walgreens in Chicago in 1922. It was put together by employee, Ivar "Pop" Coulson. See history and recipe for the chocolate shake at:

https://www.walgreens.com/topic/history/hist4.jsp

Enjoy a chocolate milk shake today!

Anna Elizabeth Henry

1st Lieutenant
Silver Patron
upload_2017-9-12_8-35-33.png

Goodness, can't remember the last time I had any kind of milkshake, let alone a chocolate one. It'll be warm enough again today, maybe I'll head over to the Ben & Jerry's at lunch time and indulge.

From the Food Network -

Ingredients -
  • 3 scoops chocolate ice cream
  • Chocolate syrup
  • 1/2 cup of milk
Directions - In blender combine all ingredients and blend until smooth. Pour into glass and serve.

Today, Sept. 12 is National Chocolate Milk Shake Day. Chocolate is always my favorite.

The milkshake originated at a Walgreens in Chicago in 1922. It was put together by employee, Ivar "Pop" Coulson. See history and recipe for the chocolate shake at:

https://www.walgreens.com/topic/history/hist4.jsp

Enjoy a chocolate milk shake today!
My very first job, at age fifteen, was making milkshakes at McDonald's on Buford Hwy in Doraville, Ga., which will give away my age. I'm guessing it's been 50 years since milk shakes were made from scratch at Mickey D's.

J. Horace

Corporal
We were allowed to leave the high school campus for lunch back in the early 1960's. A group of us would drive our cars to the local grill for a chocolate milkshake, large french fries and a foot long hot dog with slaw and chili. Every day of the week the same meal. If I did it now I would weigh several tons.

Anna Elizabeth Henry

1st Lieutenant
Silver Patron
We were allowed to leave the high school campus for lunch back in the early 1960's. A group of us would drive our cars to the local grill for a chocolate milkshake, large french fries and a foot long hot dog with slaw and chili. Every day of the week the same meal. If I did it now I would weigh several tons.
The miracle metabolism of the young! Miss the days of chili cheese fries and milkshakes.

mofederal

Captain
Are beer shakes ok to substitute? All you do is substitute the milk with beer. A lot like how you make a beer float. We used to make them at the fraternity house while I was in college. Otherwise I do love chocolate milkshakes. It is easy to celebrate it today either way.

Anna Elizabeth Henry

1st Lieutenant
Silver Patron
Are beer shakes ok to substitute? All you do is substitute the milk with beer. A lot like how you make a beer float. We used to make them at the fraternity house while I was in college. Otherwise I do love chocolate milkshakes. It is easy to celebrate it today either way.
In some strange way I could totally see this concept working with a rich Guinness stout. Not sure some of the lighter non-imported beers would be up to the task of pairing well with ice cream. What did you use back in college?

Patrick H

Lt. Colonel
My dad would have loved this day! When I was a kid, I would have loved it with him! I have nothing against ice cream whatsoever these days. It simply has no power over me any longer. I sometimes go a year or more between bites. I always really like it when I taste it.

Legion Para

Captain
Retired Moderator
chocolate-milkshakes-chattavore.jpg

(Old Article)
http://noshable.lovewithfood.com/2014/09/09/fun-with-food/happy-national-chocolate-milkshake-day/

Happy National Chocolate Milkshake Day

Friday, September 12th is National Chocolate Milkshake day (yes it really exists) and today we will celebrate this deliciously rich dessert by taking a look at it’s history while sharing with you our favorite milkshake recipes!

1. Fact: milkshakes used to be an alcoholic drink! It was first described in 1885, as “a sturdy, healthful eggnog type of drink, with eggs, whiskey, etc., served as a tonic as well as a treat”. Here’s how you can make your own bourbon chocolate milkshake.

bourbon-hot-chocolate-milkshake.jpg

Photo Cred: Creative Culinary

2. The first commercial milkshake was actually sold in Walgreens under the name “Horlicks Malted Milk” and was made by simply adding 2 scoops of vanilla ice cream into a chocolate milk and chocolate syrup mixture. Now make your own Chocolate Malt Milkshake complete with malt milk powder

38kencmbf1iy9b.jpg

Photo cred: Vintage Ad Browser

3. A “frost”in the 1930s was slang for anything added to ice cream. So for example, a coffee frost, is coffee blended with scoops of ice cream. Want an afternoon pick me up? Try this recipe for Nutella Coffee Milkshake

nutella-coffee-milkshake-2.jpg

Photo cred: Shugarysweets.com

4. If you order a “Shake One in the Hay” in a restaurant in Ohio, you’d get a delicious Strawberry Milkshake. Mmmm! Go make your own Frosty Strawberry and Cream Milkshake

frosty-strawberry-cream-milk-shakes-recipe-fw0513-ubw5in-mdn.jpg

Photo cred: Delish.com

5. And that takes us to the present day, the perfect trio: Hamburger, fries, and a thick frothy milkshake! Recipe: Classic Vanilla Milkshake

tripadvisor.jpg

Photo Cred: Tripadvisor
What are you waiting for, go make yours today!