Sept 10th / 11th 2001 Where were you ?

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW:REGISTER HERE!

Yulie

Corporal
I was at Henry Ford Hospital standing in the checked in line. The television was on and the news report showed the first plane crashing into the World Trade Center. At that point, it was assumed to be an accident. I went in for my appointment, then went to another section of the hospital to get fitted for a foot brace. I then took the bus to downtown Detroit and found my office suite was strangely empty. I started to walk to my office and the office manager came running down the hall yelling at me that the building had been evacuated. It was only then that I realized what had happened. I had to walk down several flights to exit the building. It was then that I noticed the crowds. Oddly, I hadn't noticed them as I was rushing to get to work. It was then that I got the full scope of what was happening as I waited for a bus for two hours with the assistance of numerous public safety agencies. The bus was crowded and several people were crying over the silence. I got off the bus at my transfer point but walked the extra mile to my house. I got home and my mother was waiting for me. I then sat in front of the television and cried, cried, and cried. We finally heard from family members in Queens and they were okay. I cried and cried again. Then we waited to hear from my brother who was in the Navy. He was able to send an email that he and his crew were safe near Australia (didn't hear from him again for three months). Then I got angry. Then deep mourning. Still mourning. Still angry. Still sad. Still praying for peace.

Last edited:

CivilWarTalk

Lieutenant General
Owner & Webmaster
Well, I remember exactly how my morning went on September 11th. We were living in Bath, Pennsylvania at the time...

I woke up, did my morning routine... jumped on the computer, I was the Trivia Master at the time and posted my trivia question on CivilWarTalk before 8am...

Let's see what I wrote that morning:

Sep 11, 2001
Okay, maybe yesterday's question wasn't the easiest. Let's see what I can find today...
What spunky cavalrymen said, after being mortally wounded, "I would rather die than be whipped"?
Here are the scores after the last question:
31 SgtAbj *
31 ConnYankee *
30 Crowbar
30 RaggedRebel *
21 SkirmishGirl
18 GreyGhost
08 Hoosier
07 Bandit
02 Sept1862
02 Garstwhite
01 Frank Morreale
01 FullCock
-- Gunrunner
* Answered Yesterday's Question Correctly
PS: This trivia game is open to new players, you may join at any time. To register to play, please click the "User Profile" button in the toolbar below, and then choose "Instant Registration". Follow the prompts and when you finish you will be able to post your answer in the Add a Message box below. Thanks!
GOOD LUCK!
-------------------------------------------------
The Civil War from A to Z tally:
976 terms by SgtAbj
513 terms by Crowbar
011 terms by Reinzi
007 terms by Hoosier
001 terms by ConnYankee
001 terms by Bandit
001 terms by Nicholas
Rules: Whoever submits the most terms to the A to Z Terms Index between now and September 14th will get 8 bonus points in our trivia game. Please follow the rules for posting in the index, which are found in the discussion labeled, "About this Index...".
Terms yet to be defined:
- Artillery Terms
- Alternate Names for the ACW
- Names of Civil War Generals
- Names of all other famous people
- CW Battles
- CW Battles with more than one name

- https://civilwartalk.com/threads/wbts-game-archives.235/post-3386

And then I left for work about 8:45. I was doing a local on the road call that day, a bit unusual for me. I was driving to RCN a Cable Company near Allentown, PA that day to do an install at their office.

I remember hearing a New York AM radio station in my car talking about the MTV music awards, I think Britney Spears had a snake on stage and they thought that was outrageous and were laughing about it... Then partway through my ride a news report of a plane crash at the twin towers came in, they were speculating that it must be a small commuter jet out of Teterboro...

I arrived at the job.

TV's everywhere, on lot's of different stations. some where showing static, the office was busy, they had lost some of the feeds from New York and were scrambling to get a signal from a different source. Lots of feeds on the TVs were showing NYC but some were not, some were showing kids programming. I got my first glimpse of the first tower smoking, well, that's not normal....

I started to unload my delivery and prep my install, and brief my on-site contact about what needed to be done to get things working with my equipment.

I don't remember what station, or what view I was watching when the second plane hit, but I saw every view, from every live angle, and that office was in chaos. Then they showed the hit on replay over and over on every station, it was horrible to watch on so many screens.

I told my client I was out of there, and he told me he was too. I called Ami, I called my parents to tell them not to do any jobs in the city. My dad didn't even believe anything was really wrong until he drove out on the highway out in New Jersey and saw the smoke for himself, he was so stubborn about stuff like that....

Ami and I watched the towers fall on TV from our house in Bath. That was tough...

I took Ami to her parents house and camped out there watching the airplane-free skies, listening to reports of the attack in Washington, and another of something in Pennsylvania. Hearing that the president is "on the move" in Air Force One....

It was weird watching a sky with no aircraft when you are so used to them being there all the time, no contrails, it was so quiet outside, just the birds chirping. It was like living on an alien world.

I remember we all were sure Saddam Hussain had something to do with this.... it had to be. Who else could it be?

The next day I wrote this for trivia:

Sep 12, 2001
Morning everyone.
What a horrific day in the United States. I am shocked beyond belief. I grew up looking at the WTC from the roof of my house, and I don't know the NYC skyline without those towers.
Ami and I are deeply saddened, and although we do not have any personal friends involved in this tradgedy, I do know some business people who may have been involved. Our prayers are with the families who where injured or killed in this horrible attack.
GOD BLESS AMERICA
-------------------------------------------------
And trivia continues:
What state capital was captured by Confederate general Edmund Kirby Smith?
Here are the scores after the last question:
32 SgtAbj *
32 ConnYankee *
31 Crowbar *
31 RaggedRebel *
22 SkirmishGirl *
18 GreyGhost
09 Hoosier *
07 Bandit
02 Sept1862
02 Garstwhite
01 Frank Morreale
01 FullCock
-- Gunrunner
* Answered Yesterday's Question Correctly
PS: This trivia game is open to new players, you may join at any time. To register to play, please click the "User Profile" button in the toolbar below, and then choose "Instant Registration". Follow the prompts and when you finish you will be able to post your answer in the Add a Message box below. Thanks!
GOOD LUCK!

- https://civilwartalk.com/threads/wbts-game-archives.235/post-3393

I hate remembering that day, but I always will.

General Casey

Sergeant
I was just starting my freshman year in college. We were in our second week of classes and I was on my way to English class. As I was walking by a suite of offices, I heard our Director of Housing yell at me to come see something.

I ran into the suite to see a group of staff and a few students watching the Today Show. Someone said something about a plane hitting the World Trade Center. Everyone figured it was an accident.

Then we watched the second plane hit. I remember heading to class with a classmate who had just gotten out of the Marines. His MOS was Intelligence and as we drove to class we were talking about what was going on.

He turned to me and said, "It was Bin Laden" and I asked how he knew. He told me that his area of specialty in Marine Corps intelligence was Al Qaeda and when he had left he had a stack of reports detailing Bin Laden wanting to hijack planes and crashing them into buildings

matthew mckeon

Colonel
Retired Moderator
I was teaching, my first week at a new school.
I get older, but my students stay teenagers. 9/11 was something that happened to all of us. Then it was something they remembered from middle school, then elementary school, then vaguely from daycare, or not at all. Now its something that happened before they were born. Some of my students joined the military, my colleagues had relatives in the service, and now some of my colleagues are veterans themselves, ten years or more gone by, since they left the military. 9/11 is becoming like Pearl Harbor or when Kennedy was assassinated.

People get angry at this, but its human.

9/11 is becoming like Pearl Harbor or when Kennedy was assassinated. People get angry at this, but its human.
Sadly, this is the first year when I had to be reminded of this special date by a friend an co-member here. Never happened before, usually I was aware of this date from the moment I woke up, and now I am deeply ashamed. But as you say, maybe it is human. But it is still sad to say.

Last edited:

DaveBrt

Sergeant Major
I was working from home, on the computer, of course, when my wife called. She had just arrived at work and had been immediately told of the first tower hit. The tv was right behind me -- I turned it on and watched for hours.

As a retired Navy officer (intelligence sub-specialty) and a history buff, I could not take a minute from the news reports and read everything I could find for days and days in order to absorb the event --- much like I had done with the Challenger loss.

Several years latter, I began to get a lot of jobs in the northeast. I rarely got one in the NYC area (especially Long Island) without seeing a statue or memorial to the police and firemen who had rushed to the city and died there.

redbob

Captain
Sadly, this is the first year when I had to be reminded of this special date by a friend an co-member here. Never happened before, usually I was aware of this date from the moment I woke up, and now I am deeply ashamed. But as you say, maybe it is human. But it is still sad to say.
You have nothing to be ashamed of, in my opinion; many people much closer to Ground Zero have either forgotten, don't wish to remember or just don't care. Thank you for your kind thoughts and they are greatly appreciated.

ami

Major General
Super Moderator
this is what is great about the passing of time, wounds do heal. we are still healing. Its alien to help my kids understand what happened, and why. I am sure this is how my grandmother felt explaining Pearl Harbor to my mom, and how my mom felt explaining Kennedy's assassination to me.

I can't help but have the tears spill from my eyes, even just now thinking about it. I've cried so many times today, I don't know if there were will be an anniversary when I don't, I'm not even sure if its sadness, as much as it just emotion that doesn't know how else to come out.

the wounds are healing, and I'm grateful.

Brenal

First Sergeant
I was at home recovering from surgery with nothing to do but watch tv and when the programs were cut to the news of the attacks I remember going cold. My sister was on vacation in NYC and before she left here I had phoned her and said “Sue, whatever you do in New York just make sure you go and stand atop the Trade Towers, it’s fantastic”. My wife and I had done it in December 1995 on our 25th anniversary. It was 2 days before we were able to contact her to find out that she had been up there the day before the attack had been eating breakfast on 57th Street completely unaware of what was going on when the planes hit. It was another 4 days before she was able to fly home but she has been back every year since, is there right now, staying in that same hotel on 57th.

Tom Elmore

Sergeant Major
Member of the Year
I was at CIA Headquarters and helped account for all affected personnel. Several years later I spent a full year working against Al-Qaida and the Taliban and had the satisfaction of being a small part of an effort that succeeded in arranging a meeting between a top opponent and his maker. I still have a menu from the Windows on the World restaurant at the top of the North Tower, from a happier time.

Rusk County Avengers

First Sergeant
Forum Host
I was just a kid. I was in the sixth grade, and I remember getting to my Social Studies class where the teacher had the radio on, and we didn't get to our class work immediately as the second plane had just hit with that being the first I heard of it. Finally our teacher tried to get us all to work, but left the radio on turned down low, I remember my cousin and I were right by it and we listened to it, and when the radio announcer started hollering a tower was collapsing I jumped up and told my teacher a tower fell, and that was about the end of school work in that class that day. I remember thinking, at that young age I was a little more advanced on such things as my father was a demolition contractor and I went to work with him a lot, if those towers fell over it would take out half of Manhattan, (I was still a child though), and the towers falling in on themselves never occurred to me. I even seem to remember the radio announcing all of lower Manhattan was gone when the towers fell. For the rest of the day at school, all classes cut off all information of the event and made everyone do their school work, which caused rumor to run rampant among us kids.

When school was over I didn't have to ride the bus home as my Dad, and step-mother came and picked us kids up, and living in a small Texas town, I'll never forget the site. Cars lined up for what seemed like a mile trying to get into gas stations and get all the gas they could, with gas stations running out of fuel. I couldn't figure out why, but my Dad just told me that the Middle East was behind the attacks, and that was where all our gasoline and oil came from (my how times have changed), and it wasn't till we got home I found out about the Pentagon and the crash in Pennsylvania. Not to mention learning of Osama bin Laden, al Qaeda, and just what in the world a Muslim was, (it was shocking to me that day to learn there were such things as other religions besides Christianity).

I stayed up watching Fox News with my Dad till late at night keeping up with the goings on. When they announced the aircraft carrier USS Enterprise was launching planes headed for Afghanistan and the military moving to attack we knew a full blown war was in the offing. Looking back, and how much technology has changed, I can help but marvel how the first I heard of it was on a radio, and all updates coming over the radio, how it brought everyone together to listen to it together just like with such historical occurrences like with the JFK Assassination, and how that's not likely to be a site again. Nowadays everyone would just retreat to their own corners and watch it on a phone, instead of coming together like that. It was a different era, and in some ways the end of an era.

luinrina

Sergeant Major
Forum Host
Silver Patron
I can't believe 18 years have already passed. I remember it as if it happened just yesterday. I was at high school that day and had no clue something had happened until I was home and watched the evening news with dad. I was shocked and glued to the TV all evening.

Next day at school it was of course THE topic to talk about. A friend of mine told me that when she saw the pictures on TV for the first time she for a moment thought it was the trailer to a new movie until she realized it was not fiction but terrible truth.

dlavin

First Sergeant
I was on my way to class at the University of South Carolina to the business building. I was a Junior. I remember driving in hearing something on the radio about it and couldnt believe it. By the time I walked to class, staff had rolled out tvs into the foyer area and people were watching. Noone went to class. I walked into the classroom and my teacher told everyone to leave. I went home and watched it on tv. My older sister was supposed to travel to NYC that day and she didnt go but noone could get a hold of her.

My previous company had an owner who was on flight that crashed into the Pentagon. I wasnt working there at the time. I've had the privilege of going to NYC and the tribute area, found his name and sent it to the owners of the firm. After returning from NYC and back to work, I was stopped in my office and thanked and hugged for sending the photo by another owner.

Just goes to show everyone was effected.

Mike Serpa

Major
I was getting ready for work work and turned on the TV. The news happened to be on but I wasn't paying attention. Then I paused for a second and wondered what did I see. I was dumbfounded, shocked, angry, etc. It was still a little early here in California so I didn't phone any family or friends but I called work and talked to the guy who opened up early every day. I told what happened and to turn on the TV. You all know I like to kid a lot. He asked if I was joking. I told him I wasn't joking.

1stMN

First Sergeant
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
Sophomore year of high school. I was late leaving my first hour choir class, arrived late to second hour spanish (thankfully pass in hand). My teacher had the tv on...that was weird in and of itself. She had it tuned in to the local Baltimore news network when my principal came on the PA and said that there had been an attack in New York. This was before we knew about the Pentagon and flight 93.

About an hour later, we received word that for our safety, we were being release and sent home for the day. We left at noon and when I got home the tv was on in the living room...it finally dawned on me the gravity of the situation. Come to find out, the Pentagon had been hit and flight 93 had been downed in PA not 150 miles from us.

We lived within 50 miles of the Pentagon as well so our airspace was in total lockdown. My travel softball team still had practice that night and I'll tell you, that night was one of the most eerie I've ever spent on the field. Not an aircraft in the sky with the exception of the fighter jets flying their patrol routes.

9/11/01 single handedly lead to my husband’s enlistment in the military just a few years later and many other friends. Thankfully we have been blessed to see all of our friends come home. My husband still deploys as a contractor to the Afghani theater to this very day and he actually just came home on Sunday after his 9th tour.

Last edited: