Sept 10th / 11th 2001 Where were you ?

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW:REGISTER HERE!

scone

Sergeant Major
Tennessee - From the "The City Between The Lakes"
1568197651023.png

Bare with me -
September 10th 2001 ... lot people went to bed to do every day things next day ... Not knowing that the next will change us for ever..
I woke early and watched it , went to work... It was quiet … all in shock and then back home clued to the tv … I think I slept 15 hrs in 3 days ..

September 11, 2001 is the December 7th 1941 of my time and I will never forget. The events of that day are forever etched in my mind..
-------------------------------------------------

10 years later ( I wrote this on the 10th anniversary)

Each one of us has the power and opportunity to say and do what so many died regretting not being able to do! . So start today. We can be a better spouse or significant other, We can be a better parent, sibling and friend! We have the ability the make the most of our lives. Remember Never take life for granted, live ever day as its your last, and tell those that you care that you do and always be thankful for your blessings.

Each Victim and service member , no doubt, once the pride and joy of their family ; the best of Friends; the best of Fathers, Mother, Sons or Daughters ; the best of Brothers or Sisters. Their spirits having now flown,. But how many trapped in the World Trade Center, Pentagon or on board one of the planes, or in service for their country died with inner regrets of one form or another? How many wished that they had been a better Family member Or a better friend?

Each one of us has the power and opportunity to say and do what so many died regretting not being able to do! . So start today. We can be a better spouse or significant other, We can be a better parent, sibling and friend! We have the ability the make the most of our lives. Remember Never take life for granted, live ever day as its your last, and tell those that you care that you do and and always be thankful for your blessings.

God Bless You and Yours and God Bless America

Wishing you all peace and love

~ Steven Noel cone ~

Last edited by a moderator:

Pat Answer

First Sergeant
I was at work, listening to the radio in shock and watching a column of thick, black smoke spread its way overhead from the general direction of the city.

I remember thinking, well, lots of things as that solemn week went by but along with anger and sadness at the loss of life a perhaps weird kind of pride: for a little while anyway we weren’t political, racial, or class affiliations and identities but freedom-loving, caring AMERICANS. It was comforting to know the flag still means something to so many when the chips are down.

I add my prayer to your eloquent expressions here, Mr. Cone: May “the better angels of our nature” come out more often and not just in the aftermath of terrible tragedy. And as you point out that’s work for each of our todays since tomorrows are not promised.

God Bless You and Yours and God Bless America indeed!

Cavalry Charger

Captain
Forum Host
Silver Patron
I remember I was dropping my son off to creche in Ireland. The first thing one of the workers said to me was 'a plane has hit one of the twin towers'. I went straight home to watch the rest of the awful news on TV and was devastated at what I was seeing and hearing. The twin towers were an icon of New York City and America, and known around the world. So, that is a more 'global' perspective on events that day.

Last year I had the privilege to visit the 9/11 memorial and museum in NYC. It was one of the most poignant and respectful displays I have ever seen, in memory of those who died that day. I would encourage anyone who feels able to go and visit. One thing I wasn't expecting, and that stood out for me, was the 'Survivor Tree'. Many probably know the story of how it was removed from the site afterwards and protected until it could grow strong again before being replanted. Although it is guarded, I was able to touch a branch of the tree that day. It is a moment I will never forget.

So, I would like to acknowledge the survivors here today as well.

And concur with the sentiments already expressed.

There is much to commend a country that can pull together in that manner in the most difficult of circumstances and stand as one.

donna

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
I was at home. My husband called and said turn on the TV. It was so unbelievable. I then worried about some family members who worked near the towers. Tried to reach them. Was so glad found out they were okay. However they lost some friends that day.

God bless America and keep us safe. Prayers for all all who lost loved ones that day.

ami

Major General
Super Moderator
I was at work at my mom's glass studio. Mike was at a cable tv provider working on their clocks.

I called my mother in-law who worked just miles outside of NYC. The phones were down.

I drove home to get ready for my other job and heard on the radio the first tower fell. I found out all the bridges into New Jersey were being closed, Mike ended up coming home since he couldn't get to the office.

My father in-law was due to be in the city that day, with the phones down we didn't know where he was until he ended up going back to the office.

It was the longest day. I remember all day long being on edge waiting for what would be next, then sitting up all night hoping they found more survivors.

It was the worst day. But I was and am so proud to be an American, the love that pulled our country together was awesome to be part of. I feel like we've lost that. I still love my country, I still love the people that make this country what it is. I love and support our military, and first responders. But something has been lost in these last 18 years. Some, have forgotten.

DBF

First Sergeant
We lived in Long Island and I was a volunteer at our local hospital. They called and asked a few of us to come in to help in whatever was needed the following day as they were expecting to be swamped with victims pulled from the wreckage. It was all hands on deck and the entire hospital was ready for patients to be transported - we waited - the beds stayed empty.

Pat Young

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Featured Book Reviewer
I was just arriving at work on Long Island 40 miles from Ground Zero when News Radio 88 reported that the World Trade Center had been hit. I assumed it was a small plane, but the reporter said he had seen a jetliner flying low near the Hudson. My dad used to work there and I did deliveries there as a young man, so I knew it well. It was only when the second plane hit that we realized it was a terrorist attack.

I started to hear sirens as local emergency units began to head to Manhattan. As the morning went on, the sky was clear of the ubiquitous passenger planes that circle over on their way to Kennedy and La Guardia. Fighter jets began to scream through the air in their place.

After the initial shock, I tried to contact family that worked near the trade center. Phones were failing, so it was hard to get in touch. A report said as many as six planes were highjacked and heading for New York and there were false reports of bombs going off. People outside on the streets were sitting with their heads on their hands crying.

That night I went by the train station parking lot in my village and saw the cars of people who had not come home. Were they dead? Were they first responders who were at The Pile?

I remember being in Manhattan days later and military vehicles were rolling up and down the streets with machine gunners scanning the cityscape as though some invading army might suddenly appear. On the walls of Penn Station and all around Long Island and New Jersey were signs begging for information on missing relatives, friends and lovers.

All was sadness.

Last edited:

Ethan S.

Private
18 years ago today, my mom was getting ready to leave for school, to work at her job as a teacher in Manassas Virginia. My dad went to work at his fire department, Dulles International Airport, early in the morning. He remembers watching Flight 77 taking off at the runway.

Business went as usual at the department. After roll call, they set about with gear maintenance, and small jobs. Then around 9:00am, one of my dad's friends turned on the TV, and was shocked to see the Twin Towers in flames. The whole department was empty, except for that one breakroom with the TV. A few were in tears, a few with blank expressions, all shocked to see what was happening. One of his friends said, "My God, we are at war". Everyone knew what he meant.

Soon after 9:30, they learned that the Pentagon was hit. The chief yelled out that they were going. They were called to the Pentagon.

My dad threw on his gear, and called my mom who was in hysterics. When he said he was going to the Pentagon, she was understandably upset. Then the entire fire station left towards the wreckage of the Pentagon.

My dad drove one of the trucks there, and helped stop the blaze, and ensure folks got out. He, along with several of his fire fighter friends, volunteered to help search for dead or wounded people. All night long, my dad would tag body parts - half burned entrails, arms, legs, and pieces of someones head. My dad didn't sleep for almost a week after that. Neither did my mom.

My dad never told me this, it was my mom. She said that he didn't even tell her everything he saw.

A few days ago, one of my dads close friends who was with him at the Pentagon, died due to not wearing a proper face mask, and getting cancer.

My dad went outside this morning at 5:30, and he has been slowly working on small projects. He wants nothing to do with the TV today, and he just wants to be let alone. I can honestly say, that this event changed his life.

I wasn't born until the year after.

I was probably one of the first people in Germany to know. A friend of my brother's worked for the "Deutsche Bank" in Manhattan, just opposite the WTC. He called my brother and my brother called me, just minutes after the first plane hit. As it happened we had seen just days ago a photo of a small plane hitting the Empire State Building in the early days of flight, and thought this must have been a similar accident. But my brother's friend said no, no planes are allowed over Manhattan, it must be some kind of attack.
Then the second plane crashed and I ran from office to office to tell my colleagues, and to this day feel ashamed that most here said "hey, why are you so upset, **** happens!", only one colleague just stared back at me and immediately said "Bin Laden!"

I went at home early that day because my Mom wanted to come to visit, and we sat in front of the TV and cried all afternoon. It was the saddest day in my life so far.

redbob

Captain
I was coming off a busy shift at my fire station, getting the battalion ready for the oncoming Chief and thinking what a beautiful day it was. A firefighter came into my office and told me that I had better turn on the television and with that my whole world (along with probably everyone else's) then rocked knowing what would come next. I put my stations on alert and called my wife and told her what was going on as I knew that this would seriously impact her world as an Army Nurse-then I prayed.

Claude Bauer

Sergeant
View attachment 324983

Bare with me -
September 10th 2001 ... lot people went to bed to do every day things next day ... Not knowing that the next will change us for ever..
I woke early and watched it , went to work... It was quiet … all in shock and then back home clued to the tv … I think I slept 15 hrs in 3 days ..

September 11, 2001 is the December 7th 1941 of my time and I will never forget. The events of that day are forever etched in my mind..
-------------------------------------------------

10 years later ( I wrote this on the 10th anniversary)

Each one of us has the power and opportunity to say and do what so many died regretting not being able to do! . So start today. We can be a better spouse or significant other, We can be a better parent, sibling and friend! We have the ability the make the most of our lives. Remember Never take life for granted, live ever day as its your last, and tell those that you care that you do and always be thankful for your blessings.

Each Victim and service member , no doubt, once the pride and joy of their family ; the best of Friends; the best of Fathers, Mother, Sons or Daughters ; the best of Brothers or Sisters. Their spirits having now flown,. But how many trapped in the World Trade Center, Pentagon or on board one of the planes, or in service for their country died with inner regrets of one form or another? How many wished that they had been a better Family member Or a better friend?

Each one of us has the power and opportunity to say and do what so many died regretting not being able to do! . So start today. We can be a better spouse or significant other, We can be a better parent, sibling and friend! We have the ability the make the most of our lives. Remember Never take life for granted, live ever day as its your last, and tell those that you care that you do and and always be thankful for your blessings.

God Bless You and Yours and God Bless America

Wishing you all peace and love

~ Steven Noel cone ~
I was working from my home office and my wife called me from her office near DC and said a plane had crashed into the World Trade Center. I speculated it was probably an aviation accident. I turned on the news and saw the second plane hit the twin towers and knew immediately it was something deliberate. Then she called back and said she could see a lot of smoke coming from the Pentagon and there were reports that a plane had crashed into it. I then knew something bad was happening. I told her to come home right away. I thought about my brother and his family who lived in Manhattan, and went to get my kids out of school. I just told the front office that I was taking them home. They looked perplexed and not sure what to do.

Like everyone else, I had no idea what was happening--was this the first wave of an all out attack? They had targeted the World Trade Center and the Pentagon--and another plane went down in Pennsylvania en route to DC. Would planes be falling out of the sky all day? Was this just the prelude of something worse to come?

I decided to make a quick trip to the store since we were low on food and live in a semi-rural area. One of the kids asked what we should get, and I said things that are easy to open and don't require cooking, in case something happens to the power grid and the electricity goes out. A man nearby overheard us and laughed--I'll never forget that jerk. The lady at the checkout counter was clearly nervous and asked me for any news. "It's scary out there," she said.

It turned out my brother and his family in NYC were OK and not close to ground zero that morning. In the days following the attack, the only planes I saw in the sky around here were fighter jets, flying so low and slow I could count the missiles on their wings--they were protecting the air space around Camp David and Ft. Detrick and it certainly was reassuring to see them up there! I wonder if the fellow from the store was still laughing on 9/12.

Shannon Wolf

Private
I was bringing my biomom home after a doctors appointment. She had this literally crazy neighbor who came outside and was babbling something about New York. Neither of us really paid attention, but turned on the news. We watched the second tower get hit. I called my father but the lines to the base weren't going through. I didn't know if he had seen. Then 6 days of trying to call our family in New York and finding out that by sheer luck none of them were where they were supposed to be. I had talked to my Aunt on 09/10, she was complaining because she worked for the Federal Reserve and she had to go to the WTC the next day. Her office was in New Jersey and she didn't want to drive in NY rush hour, my Uncle lives in Manhattan, my cousin is a FedEx driver there.
Something happened and my Aunt ended up running super late. She was near a tunnel or something when it happened. My Uncle had been sent to Belfast for a lecture. My cousin traded shifts with someone and was home that day. Took us 6 days to account for everyone and breathe again.

Both the main entrance to Flight 93's memorial and also Gettysburg are located in southern Pennsylvania along Route 30, the Lincoln Highway.

I thought that this was a giant coincidence of providence. Then, I remembered that both events happened where they happened precisely BECAUSE of each location's proximity to Washington, D.C.

thomas aagaard

1st Lieutenant
Was doing my 10 month mandatory military service.

It was mid afternoon and we had just gotten back to barracks after having been in the field since they day before.
We where outside our quarters waiting for one of our sergeant to get the wooden blocks used to store the locks for our M/75s.
(H&K G3s)

Some of the others where allowed to go to the cafeteria to buy some drinks and tobacco.(it was just across the street)
One of them came running back telling that a 747 had hit one of the towers.

We quickly dried of the locks and handed them in and we where dismissed.
For the first time the maintenance of the rest of the rifles and the rest of our gear was up to us to do... instead of doing it under the supervision of our sergeants.

I went to the cafeteria, got something to eat and sat down to watch the tv... in time to see a plane hit a tower.
It took me a moment to realize that it was not a replay of what had happened... but another plane hitting the other tower.

A few hours later the military put he base on heightened security.. with every single building under guard.
(since we had only been in uniform since 1st august we where doing our guard duty unarmed)

The next day the colonel gathers all 1500 conscripts and all the regulars on the base and gave us an update on what had happened.

And he said that he expected this to have a direct influence on the military and Denmark...

The first direct result that effected us was that our platoon XO was pulled from the unit and later deployed to Kabul in early 2002 Where he was killed. The first of 43 danes killed in that country and another 214 wounded.
(our number of KIA was comparable to US looses, when done by population size)

Our special forces was quickly deployed with US and UK special forces to Afghanistan (and in Pakistan)
And a small force of was deployed to Kabul in early 2002.

Then in 2003 we got involved in the sideshow in Iraq. Deploying a battalion in the south as part of the British force.

Then in 2006 we followed the British to the south of Afghanistan... again with a battalion. (and leaving Iraq with the British)
In 2007 I was training for a deployment there as a combat engineer... but a knee injure in a soccer match got in the way of that trip.
So I left and started studying archaeology at university.

Since then our F16s have dropped bombs on Afghanistan, (taliban) Iraq and Syria (Islamic state, Libya,
and we still have small units training the Iraq army and Afghan army.

So yes, it is a day I will never forget. And one that had a huge influence on world history.
(and the danish military)

Edit - just found this photo in a box. Taken in August 2001. Me in uniform. age: 20
(yes I had a beard, so I didn't have to shave daily... the only one in the entire 250man company...
How things have changed. In 2007 half of my platoon had full beards and today more than half of my male friends got full beards)
70462689_10220507682946931_3279107715456040960_n.jpg

Last edited:

jackt62

2nd Lieutenant
At work a few blocks away. Heard 1st plane hit north tower, saw 2nd plane hit south tower, explode in flames.
After evacuating our nearby building, watched the two towers in amazed horror. The north tower had a gaping black hole, whereas the south tower was engulfed in dense smoke rising skyward like a candle. Left the scene with some work colleagues, Brooklyn Bridge deemed too unsafe to be on to flee, not knowing extent of any additional attacks; after walking north about 1 mile, saw the south tower collapse within seconds. Continued on foot from downtown to 42nd street, able to catch train which started running by late afternoon. Offices closed for about a week afterwards, but I made my way past roadblocks 2 days later to office. Downtown was absolute ghost town, papers and debris still swirling around, nobody around except police, fire, and military, damaged vehicles littering streets, terrible smell in air, looked like a scene from the apocalypse.