1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Sentiments of Capt. John Calvin Gorman, Company B, 2nd NC Infantry

Discussion in 'Battle of Gettysburg' started by Tom Elmore, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Tom Elmore

Tom Elmore First Sergeant

The following article appeared in, The Potter Journal, a newspaper in Ebensburg, Pennsylvania. It must refer to Captain John Calvin Gorman (1835-1893), commanding Company B, 2nd North Carolina Infantry (vice cavalry), who had been a printer in Raleigh, North Carolina. The regiment was in Carlisle June 27-29 - their brigade was lodged in the U.S. barracks. Gorman left vivid accounts of Sharpsburg (Antietam), and also of Gettysburg - the latter being published in America's Civil War, July 2005, vol. 18, issue 4; as well as in Military Images, May/June 1982, vol. 3, no. 6. (If anyone can share a copy via the Conversations inbox, it would be greatly appreciated.) Sources indicate that Gorman was captured May 19, 1864 at Spotsylvania Court House, and exchanged on December 14, 1864. He was last wounded in front of Petersburg in April 1865.

The Potter Journal, July 22, 1863:
    The Sentiments of a Traitor - While the rebels were in possession of Carlisle they used the office of the American Democrat to print their "orders," "blanks," etc. Before they evacuated the office, Capt. J. G. Gorman, Co. C, 2d N.C. Troop, "set up" and left in his "stick" the following as expressive of his sentiments: "I am in for the war, or 'till death;' I am in favor of peace, only on the eternal principle of separation; would rather see the Land of Dixie a boundless desert, its male citizens rotting on battle fields, its mothers and daughters perishing with hunger and its children outcasts and beggars in a strange land, than accept a peace on any other terms. I would as soon fraternize with the d---ed of h---, as the canting hypocrites of the North, and had I Omnipotent power would build a gulf of fire as boundless as immensity between the two nations that are now arrayed in arms against each other." Such a manifestation in "type" must have been cheering for the copperheadism of the Democrat proprietors.

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. Tom Elmore

Tom Elmore First Sergeant

I am indebted to prominent author Robert J. Wynstra for providing an excerpt from Capt. Gorman's July 8 letter that pertains to the latter's occupation of the American Democrat newspaper in Carlisle, Pennsylvania:

"I was detailed the last day of our stay to do some printing for the Quartermaster Department. With a guard, I visited all the printing offices, selected the best one out of the four, and done the work, and afterwards distributed the type. It was a rank abolitionist office, and it would have afforded me much pleasure in turning it topsy-turvy. Its proprietor told me he had a son at Newburn, who was working in the Progress office, and I wished Pennington had been in my shoes for a few moments."

Andy Cardinal and rpkennedy like this.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)