Semmes Brigade

51st Georgia

Private
Hello everyone. New recruit here but a lifelong CW historian. My great-great grandfather was in company C of the 51st Georgia, which was part of Semmes brigade at Gettysburg. Needless to say I am very interested in the details of the action of that unit during the day but sources are scarce. I am looking, in particular, for an article on Semmes brigade written for Blue and Gray magazine by Dave Richards. If anyone has a scan of that article or any other good sources for Semmes brigade and the 51st in particular, I would be very appreciative.

Welcome to the forum, is that the 51st's flag as your avatar? Don't worry some first rate researchers are on this forum and should be able help you out...
Thank you all for the welcome. I have been very impressed by the posts I have read on this forum and the spirit of the community.
Yes, that is the 51st's flag in my avatar. The Georgia Department of Archives has both of the 51st's flags in their collection.
5tzdJIZl.jpgK5jQPmCc.jpg

Hello @51st Georgia and welcome to CivilWarTalk. I'm sure the article you are looking for is a good one and unfortunately I don't have a copy. If you are interested in reading some unbiased first hand details, I suggest the post-war account of Lafayette McLaws, commanding the division that included Semmes' brigade. I really dont think you can understand what happened at Gettysburg, at least as far as McLaws division is concerned, without reading McLaws' own account. Ive posted some excerpts previously that might help get you started.
DAY 2:
DAY 3:

East Tennessee Campaign / Knoxville
Here's a previously unutilized report from the 51st Georgia at the siege of Knoxville and the battle of Fort Sanders. It was published in the Early County News. (Blakely, Ga.), January 27, 1864, page 3., but was never transferred into the OR and was evidently overlooked for inclusion in the Supplement to the Official Records.

"...With a gallantry unsurpassed, and an enthusiasm which should have met a better fate, the Regiment rushed through an almost impenetrable abattis, and, without receiving any check, gained the ground to the edge of the ditch in front of Fort Sanders. From the very formidable construction of the Fort, and the width and depth of the ditch around it, it was impossible to reduce the Fort, and after being exposed to a severe fire of handgrenades, until all chance of reducing the Fort was found to be futile, the Regiment was withdrawn. In this attack, the Regiment suffered severely..."
1574295693703.png

<continues>
1574296300534.png

Last edited:
Back