ENDED Selling 4 original 1861/63 Springfield’s

Trader history (0)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheTyler701

Private
Hello everyone! Here’s what l have. From top (1) to bottom (5). 1 1861, 3 1863’s, and an Eli Whitney Model 1822 conversion.

1. Model 1861, made ln 1862 by Springfield Armory. 2 proper stock cartouches. Proper barrel marking “PV over eagle”. Deep and clear eagle on lock. Lock and barrel both dated clearly “1862”. Proper “US” on butt plate. “u” on barrel clamps. Everything ls as should and ls an incredibly fine example. Doesn’t get much better that this one. https://civilwartalk.com/threads/help-ld-my-1861-springfield.155776/

2. Model 1863 type 2, made ln 1864 by “Robinson E.” of New York. Clear eagle marking and “1864” on lock. Barrel has proper markings (VP over eagle). Proper cartouche on stock, and “US” on buttplate. “u” on barrel clamps. Everything ls as should be.

3. Model 1863 type 1, made ln 1863 by Springfield Armory. Clear eagle marking and “1863” on lock. Barrel has proper “VP over eagle” and marked “1863”. 2 clear stock cartouches. “US” on buttplate. “u” on barrel clamps. Everything ls as should be.

4) Model 1863 type 1 made by Amoskeag Mfg Co. ln Manchester N.H. ln 1864. Remenents of “1864” on lock, reads “Amoskeag Mfg. Co. Manchester N.H.” This one has a really unique goldish patina too lt. Probably the coolest/unique one of the bunch. lt ls the most pitted at the lock and breech. lt has the proper “US” on buttplate but lts too pitted to see anything clearly on the barrel. “u” on barrel clamps. l can’t find any stock cartouches, but the buttplate has aged exactly with the weapon. This one comes with an original Civil War bayonet that also has “US” on lt.

5) Eli Whitney Model 1822 conversion musket. Locks reads “E. WHITNEY” under US insignia. “NEW HAVEN 1834” behind the lock. Breech plug reads “1834”. Has initials “A.H.” over “P”. Remenents of a stock cartouche ls visible. “US” on butt plate. Comes with a sling.

1) 1700$
2) 1550$
3) 1550$
4) 1400$
5) 650$

l am ln Dallas Tx, but l can ship free to lower 48 states.

Have a great day everyone. Thanks.

Tyler

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
Is the Whitney rifled, please?
Hello James. Model 1822 Flintlock muskets were .69 caliber smoothbore. ln terms of lf lt was rifled during conversion, lm not sure. ls that something the gov. did? lts unclear looking down the bore. Thanks for the question.

The government did some rifling of smoothbores, but - if your musket is rifled - I don't think this is one of them primarily because it is a contract musket. My interest and question are more local. Miles Greenwood of Cincinnati, Ohio, rifled about 27,000 muskets for Ohio in 1861 of which the vast majority of them were not sighted. He apparently did not mark his "modernizations" so identification has to done in other ways. Replacement and repositioning of the front sight blade and sometimes coarse checkering on the hammer can be clues, but they're not proof positives. If this musket is rifled, that is also no guarantee that it is a Greenwood, it at least suggests the possibility that it might be. One more question: are there any stampings/marks on the stock - like OHIO?

The government did some rifling of smoothbores, but - if your musket is rifled - I don't think this is one of them primarily because it is a contract musket. My interest and question are more local. Miles Greenwood of Cincinnati, Ohio, rifled about 27,000 muskets for Ohio in 1861 of which the vast majority of them were not sighted. He apparently did not mark his "modernizations" so identification has to done in other ways. Replacement and repositioning of the front sight blade and sometimes coarse checkering on the hammer can be clues, but they're not proof positives. If this musket is rifled, that is also no guarantee that it is a Greenwood, it at least suggests the possibility that it might be. One more question: are there any stampings/marks on the stock - like OHIO?
Theirs one cartouche that l can see, but l can’t make out what lt ls and lts probably even harder to do over photo. l would guess this ls an original cartouche from when lt was made. Would their be anywhere else to look besides the left flag edge

C0B54E39-1BA6-4579-A2BF-23C81BE40EE8.png

If it had an Ohio mark, OHIO. (all upper case and note the period) would be stamped on the wrist, the flat, or both. It might even be upside down. Thank you for posting the cartouche, though.

If it had an Ohio mark, OHIO. (all upper case and note the period) would be stamped on the wrist, the flat, or both. It might even be upside down. Thank you for posting the cartouche, though.
Here’s a better photo of the cartouche. Cant really find anything else.

BBF9B105-3634-4BF4-919A-9A8EA986A320.jpeg

Looking at that photo, lt almost appears that their are other slightly visible rectangular stamps around the clear cartouche. Not sure. But theirs definitely something else their.

I asked the seller for his price shipping the $650 Whitney to North Carolina - Can you believe he said $800? $150 to ship something -
Use caution dealing with him.

I asked the seller for his price shipping the $650 Whitney to North Carolina - Can you believe he said $800? $150 to ship something -
Use caution dealing with him.
This thread was a month ago and terms have changed for my items for sale. l haven’t even been on this page this month. You shouldn’t be so stubborn, you sound like a child. Forums posts aren’t binding contracts. Half of these have already been sold. lf someone posted something for sale and l messaged them, and l was informed the price changed l would simply say ok and get back to my life.

Besides, this E Whitney musket ls incredibly fine. l am not going to sell lt for the price of a modern Indian reproduction. Thx ✌️

Thanks much for the quick response - Could I get possibly get pic(s) of the bore of the 2 1863's that are available (is it # 2,3 and/or 4 that are still available)?
I would be very obliged,
Best
Paul in California

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back