Self appointed experts.

The problem is the person who thinks he is an expert, but is really nothing of the kind. If you really are an expert, your opinions and lectures should have value to the non-expert who is interested.
If you are old enough to remember the late Professor Irwin Corey he was the expert of everything and nothing.funny guy.

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

Joshism

Sergeant Major
The problem is the person who thinks he is an expert, but is really nothing of the kind. If you really are an expert, your opinions and lectures should have value to the non-expert who is interested.
I'm reminded of a proverb I am fond of...

He who knows not, and knows not that he knows not, is a fool; Shun him.

He who knows not, and knows that he knows not, is a student; Teach him.

He who knows, and knows not that he knows, is asleep; Wake him.

He who knows, and knows that he knows, is Wise; Follow him.

Polloco

First Sergeant
I like your proverb. It does fit this forum real well. But Its possible there are some who would get" the fool + the wise"part mixed up. After all they know not!

Not necessarily. There are documents that experts write for the general public and documents that experts write for other experts. Both kinds of documents serve important, but very different purposes. The technical literature I use in my job - I am a materials physicist - is almost entirely of the latter category.

But arbitrary disparagement of expertise is an unhealthy anti-intellectual current in our society that contributes to bad scholarship, bad choices, and bad government, so I am loathe to encourage it, even in humor.

Sbc

First Sergeant
I note no use of qualifiers in this post, such as "I think few people actually know much of anything," and no reference given. Also, no qualifier for "Too many people just want to feel important" along with no reference given.

It would also be nice to know how one knows what others want without asking them, and how one knows exactly what people one has never met know or don't know.
Lol
Nice!

Sbc

First Sergeant
Welcome from Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. Your opening statement was very Well Crafted!!! A vast majority of the people you will encounter on this site are very knowledgeable as well as very polite and friendly. On the other hand, there are a small group of people on this site from my experience that think they have a monopoly on all civil war knowledge and therefore think they are bigger than the war itself. I think a quote from Benjamin Disraeli bests sums up my feelings about this small group: "sophisticated rhetoricians inebriated with the exuberance of their own verbosity and gifted with an egotistical imagination that can at times command an interminable and inconsistent series of arguments to malign an opponent and to glorify themselves." David.
That was a mouthful from Disraeli---but very astute

Patrick H

Lt. Colonel
I confess I haven't read every post in this thread. Maybe this has already been said: I thought an expert was a person who learned more and more about less and less until he or she knew practically everything about practically nothing.
(...offered in good fun, of course.)

I confess I haven't read every post in this thread. Maybe this has already been said: I thought an expert was a person who learned more and more about less and less until he or she knew practically everything about practically nothing.
(...offered in good fun, of course.)
Would be hard to as most were deleted.

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!