Self appointed experts.

WJC

Brigadier General
Thread Medic
Answered the Call for Reinforcements
***Posted as Moderator***
A reminder: this thread is in the New Recruits Meet & Greet Area. This forum is intended as a means of introducing ourselves. It is not intended as a place to debate issues: there are many threads for that. And it is not a forum for personal attack.
Please respectfully welcome our new member.

Joshism

Sergeant Major
Edited.

One of the things I like about this forum is that it allows people with varying levels of knowledge to express themselves on a variety of subjects.
Self-awareness of one's knowledge and its limits is critical. If one's knowledge is low but interest is high then what one cannot offer in good answers one can instead offer good questions from which all can still benefit.

I suggest that walking in the door of a forum where one has never been before with a huge chip on one's shoulder is not a great way to win friends and influence people. But that's just my opinion.

The appropriate way to encourage people to cite sources is to request them when and where they seem necessary to advance a discussion, not to level a blanket criticism.

zburkett

First Sergeant
I have not read all the post so this may have been mentioned before. Many posters on this forum have demonstrated great knowledge and solid research. For example Major Bill is an absolute fount of solid research and knowledge on uniforms. He is very generous with that information. Stay on the forum and I suspect that you will come to depend on him as I do. Since he post often he can not list his qualifications on every time. Hang around a while and you will get to know who knows what they are talking about and that is most of the serious posters. In my experience this is one great collection of serious historians.

James N.

Lt. Colonel
Forum Host
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
Always ask why and where and when. If a man who fought at a battle tells you anything can you trust him to tell the truth?? A man in a battle is not concerned with why he is there but how to get out alive. From personal experience and OJT.
Welcome to the forums from the host of the Stonewall Jackson Forum who always tries to give credit where credit's due!

Pat Young

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Featured Book Reviewer
It would be nice if people would make posts with the qualifiers of "I think", I believe, I read, or I was told along with references if available.

Few people actually know much of anything. All we know is what we have read, heard, or been told.

Too many people just want to feel important.
Welcome.

It might have set a precedent if you followed your own rule. Let me help:

I think it would be nice if people would make posts with the qualifiers of "I think", I believe, I read, or I was told and I believe that they should include references if available. [Source: On the use of references, please see Manual for Writers of Research Papers, Theses, and Dissertations 8th Edition by Kate Turabian]

I was told that few people actually know much of anything. I have read that all we know is what we have read, heard, or been told. [Source: Jean Paul Sartre The Problem of Mediations; See Jacques Derrida generally. Henri Bergson provides an interesting counterpoint]

Too many people, I believe, just want to feel important. [Source: Malignant Self-love: Narcissism Revisited by Sam Vaknin]

Last edited:
I take that to be an example of the Art of Diplomacy.
Welcome.

It might have set a precedent if you followed your own rule. Let me help:

I think it would be nice if people would make posts with the qualifiers of "I think", I believe, I read, or I was told and I believe that they should include references if available. [Source: On the use of references, please see Manual for Writers of Research Papers, Theses, and Dissertations 8th Edition by Kate Turabian]

I was told that few people actually know much of anything. I have read that all we know is what we have read, heard, or been told. [Source: Jean Paul Sartre The Problem of Mediations; See Jacques Derrida generally. Henri Bergson provides an interesting counterpoint]

Too many people just want to feel important. [Source: Malignant Self-love: Narcissism Revisited by Sam Vaknin]

Welcome from Arizona, where its always sunny... well, ALMOST always. Seems it is cloudy today, probably should have used a qualifier. Seriously, I do try to leave the door open to new interpretations and better research. I believe you will find that virtually all the folks here do the same.

Enjoy your time at CWT.

Actually, it is not true that "All we know is what we have read, heard, or been told." I write a lot about 19th century watches. Much of my knowledge of that subject was obtained from books and from other horologists, but I have looked at thousands of watches and other primary sources too. In that regard, I am very far from unique as far as the way I acquire knowledge.

Last edited:

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!