Self appointed experts.

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

DaveBrt

Sergeant Major
Few people actually know much of anything. All we know is what we have read, heard, or been told.
Actually, more than a few of us are experts in some particular field. Several have published books, articles and fact-centered web sites.

We look forward to your contributions to our studies -- or is this just a drive-by comment?

Ole Miss

2nd Lieutenant
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Welcome from North Mississippi!
Personally I have little knowledge and absolutely no self-importance but I have the nerve to post on this board and receive responses that provide guidance and information.

So go ahead, read and judge the material posted and do your independent study of those topics that catch your eye. Obviously you have a passion for this time frame of history and the members of this board will provide the information requested if possible.

Welcome from Southern Oregon (northern Jefferson).

I contend that there's very little anybody actually knows. I mean, we rely on limited senses and a brain that is locked into certain types of perceptive ability and we measure and observe only what we've so-far discovered. Do we see or hear the same thing that, say, a bat sees and hears ? No, yet we live in close proximity and interpret the same environment. What sorts of things do elephants sense that allows them to find each other or water from very long distances ? What allows for animal and insect migration ? How can termites build exact halves of a mound on opposite sides of a barrier that blocks light, sound, electrical impulse, and vibration ? Do they sense things that exist that we can't ? If so, do we really "know" what's real ?

And for that matter, is the speed of light really constant ? And where is all that "black matter" that we can't find that supposedly makes up most of the universe ? Can you really imagine infinity ? How does something come from nothing (which it seems to have done) ?

Oh, we just live in our little painted box and "believe" we "know" a lot of things that just may be illusions. It's complicated.

I do know that there's good red wine and bad red wine and I like the good ones. That might be about it.

Welcome, enjoy. To your opening posting-- Members here post freely from their own experiences, feelings and knowledge as they see things. Are they correct? Sometimes yes and sometimes no. Such is everyday life. If the member is quoting some info, it would be nice to see reference to verify important facts. Is it mandatory? Of course it is not. If blatantly incorrect, an other member will respond to clarify. Life is to short for you to worry if every word posted is totally and unequivocally 100% correct.

diane

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Strange way to introduce yourself but hello. I just thought simply posting was sufficient for the most part - everybody knows whatever you write is what you believe, know, think, etc.... If they want some more, they'll ask. If they think you don't know your headquarters from your hindquarters, they'll let you know. It's just a posting board, after all, not doctoral dissertations!

contestedground

First Sergeant
It would be nice if people would make posts with the qualifiers of "I think", I believe, I read, or I was told along with references if available.

Few people actually know much of anything. All we know is what we have read, heard, or been told.

Too many people just want to feel important.
You'll fit right in here.

Welcome from Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. Your opening statement was very Well Crafted!!! A vast majority of the people you will encounter on this site are very knowledgeable as well as very polite and friendly. On the other hand, there are a small group of people on this site from my experience that think they have a monopoly on all civil war knowledge and therefore think they are bigger than the war itself. I think a quote from Benjamin Disraeli bests sums up my feelings about this small group: "sophisticated rhetoricians inebriated with the exuberance of their own verbosity and gifted with an egotistical imagination that can at times command an interminable and inconsistent series of arguments to malign an opponent and to glorify themselves." David.

Always ask why and where and when. If a man who fought at a battle tells you anything can you trust him to tell the truth?? A man in a battle is not concerned with why he is there but how to get out alive. From personal experience and OJT.

FWIW, I disagree. Statement #1 souds to me like speculation or an opinion advanced with sensible caution. Statement #2 is a flat assertion that offers a false sense of certainty. I'd answer #1 by wanting to discuss the matter, but I'd reply to #2 by saying, "How do you know?" Statement #1 opens a discussion with many points of view and shades of interpretaton; Statement #2 promises debate with people digging in their heels.
One type of statement is, I observed.
Another statement is, Someone told me, verbally or in print. Which always provokes the question, who?
The third type of statement is, I believe. That usually leads to the question, why? Then the fun begins.

contestedground

First Sergeant
I agree but plenty of people on the internet believe themselves to be experts and will argue with true experts. I am a true expert in the field of Japanese military rifles.... I am an expert on why wars are fought.
Ah, so now one should distinguish between "experts" and "true experts," although how one makes that determination is less than clear (except in the eye of the beholder, I suspect).

Well, as someone once said ...
It would be nice if people would make posts with the qualifiers of "I think", I believe, I read, or I was told along with references if available.
Too many people just want to feel important.

jackt62

2nd Lieutenant
One of the things I like about this forum is that it allows people with varying levels of knowledge to express themselves on a variety of subjects. Although there are many folks who contribute to this site who have expert information on stuff, this is not in itself a scholarly site or restricted to those who have that type of expertise. So I am not so concerned whether someone wants to qualify statements with "I think or believe", etc., etc. I myself am not an "expert" in any of the topics discussed in this forum, but as an avid follower of most things CW, I do try to provide posts that are based on my reading, visiting, discussing, and learning from others.

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!