Self appointed experts.

It would be nice if people would make posts with the qualifiers of "I think", I believe, I read, or I was told along with references if available.

Few people actually know much of anything. All we know is what we have read, heard, or been told.

Too many people just want to feel important.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

major bill

Colonel
Forum Host
Hello and welcome to the forum from Michigan. Perhaps you do have a point especially with the references.

Perhaps part of the problem with qualifiers is that in some college writing classes they are not encouraged. The same can be said in military writing classes. "I think" or "I believe" are assumed and help weaken what one is saying. I will try to give an example.

1. I believe that is General Jackson had not been kill he probably would have taken Culp's Hill on first day of the Battle of Gettysburg.
2. If General Jackson had not been killed, he would have taken Culp's Hill on the first day of the Battle of Gettysburg.

Note that both statements say almost the exact same thing, however the qualifiers in statement #1 seem to make it a weaker statement. In statement #2 is there really a need to say "I believe"? It should be obvious to the reader that this is what I believe, and if I did not believe it, why would I write it?

I do understand that this comes down to style. Let me show how my military writing class would view this. Pretend this is a note to the Battalion Commander

1. Sir I believe it would be wise if we sent a patrol down Route Zulu as we advance along Route Romeo because I think it would probably provide us additional flank security.

2. Sir we should send a patrol down Route Zulu to provide us additional flank security as we advance along Route Romeo.

Both statements really say the same thing. However statement #2 is shorter and stronger. The Colonel would know from both statements that I believe he should send a patrol down Route Zulu, but in statement #1 I sound a bit less sure.

cash

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
It would be nice if people would make posts with the qualifiers of "I think", I believe, I read, or I was told along with references if available.

Few people actually know much of anything. All we know is what we have read, heard, or been told.

I note no use of qualifiers in this post, such as "I think few people actually know much of anything," and no reference given. Also, no qualifier for "Too many people just want to feel important" along with no reference given.

It would also be nice to know how one knows what others want without asking them, and how one knows exactly what people one has never met know or don't know.

MattL

2nd Lieutenant

Welcome.

Don't you mean

"I think few people actually know much of anything. I believe all we know is what we have read, heard, or been told."

contestedground

First Sergeant
Hello and welcome to the forum from Michigan. Perhaps you do have a point especially with the references.

Perhaps part of the problem with qualifiers is that in some college writing classes they are not encouraged. The same can be said in military writing classes. "I think" or "I believe" are assumed and help weaken what one is saying. I will try to give an example.

1. I believe that is General Jackson had not been kill he probably would have taken Culp's Hill on first day of the Battle of Gettysburg.
2. If General Jackson had not been killed, he would have taken Culp's Hill on the first day of the Battle of Gettysburg.

Note that both statements say almost the exact same thing, however the qualifiers in statement #1 seem to make it a weaker statement. In statement #2 is there really a need to say "I believe"? It should be obvious to the reader that this is what I believe, and if I did not believe it, why would I write it?
FWIW, I disagree. Statement #1 souds to me like speculation or an opinion advanced with sensible caution. Statement #2 is a flat assertion that offers a false sense of certainty. I'd answer #1 by wanting to discuss the matter, but I'd reply to #2 by saying, "How do you know?" Statement #1 opens a discussion with many points of view and shades of interpretaton; Statement #2 promises debate with people digging in their heels.

Welcome @Schnurri back to the discussion. *your opener post was at 10:11 p.m., hence 'back'. I can agree it is a frustration to listen to extremely interesting advancements of major interest, with no reference given. I can go outside and say it is a sunny day with a blue sky, we can go fishing. The wisdom of rain is determinable. Be your own guide when you need to know. Check the weather report, I checked the sky.
See the time is now 4:28 a.m.
Lubliner.

JPK Huson 1863

Colonel
Forum Host
Welcome to the forum. And ( without snark ) I think you're a little hard on too many people. Heck, we've been at this since Day 1. Eve " Go ahead, eat it, you know you want to ". Adam, " Well, I am partial to a good apple ". May be a poor example with no other humans around to source but it's rife with opinion. It's all we've ever had to go on- what we feel on a topic.

Maybe your experience leads you to presuppose intent. If anything we have few members whose intent is feeling important- the best thing about discussions here is how most tend to be a good game of 10 way tennis. Premise is presented, lobbed around, once in awhile a ball goes out of bounds. They keep contention at a dull roar here so there's no free-for-alls here, just what everyone thinks. Plus, believe me, anyone with Big Pants is shuffled down to manageable size in a big hurry. But still welcomed, since anyone coming here has a chance to say what they like.

Honest, try us for awhile. You wouldn't be here if you didn't have an interest in the ACW, have a feeling you'll find it a lot better than you think.

Joshism

Sergeant Major
Perhaps part of the problem with qualifiers is that in some college writing classes they are not encouraged.
This was true in my high school English class. We were taught that we should state everything in writing as absolute fact. High school also promoted this out of class too as I knew quite a few people who would browbeat on any point of disagreement because they had absolute certainty while I had reasonable doubt.

As for this forum I think it depends on what is being discussed.

I believe Stonewall Jackson could have taken Culp's Hill on July 1 (because I think he was a great general).

I think Stonewall Jackson could have taken Culp's Hill on July 1 (because I have read numerous books on the subject).

Ewell made the decision not to attack Culp's Hill on July 1 (statement of fact).

Slavery caused the American Civil War (widely held and easily defended conclusion, even if not universally agreed upon).

Citing sources is helpful, but I for one do not have a personal library and frequently read this forum on my smartphone away from home where such a library wouldn't be accessible anyway.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)