Seen these is a museum and not sure what they are. Prabably post Civil War?

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Not sure what I seen. None are in great shape.

ft 654.jpg

View attachment 173550

This was there as well.
This appears to be a .31 caliber M.1849 Colt Pocket Pistol like mine below, still in its case; these were sold both cased and not, depending on whatever the purchaser preferred and were manufactured into the 1870's. They were supposedly the most common of all the various Colt revolving percussion pistols, though they came in varying barrel lengths; these have 4" barrels.

dsc05340-jpg.jpg

Not sure what I seen. None are in great shape.

View attachment 173549
The bayonets could easily be from the war, but those for the M.1872 Trapdoor Springfield rifles look the same, especially since they were made from surplus Civil War bayonets. The only difference is the diameter of the sockets (since the Trapdoors were .45 .70 after 1872, in contrast to the .58 caliber M.1855-M.1863 rifles and their postwar conversions), so if they can be removed from the case and measured it would be able to determine which they are. A word of caution: According to a rumor I heard, a couple of reenactors I know were supposedly "helping" a small county or town museum identify items in their collection and were quietly switching the wartime bayonets for the less-valuable-to-collectors Trapdoor bayonets!

I assume the bayonets and hardware were found in the fort? I imagine those will prove to be Trapdoor bayonets, I read that Ft Clinch was garrisoned during the Spanish and American War; many garrison troops still had the older weapons or even had them stored away when more modern Springfield & Krags etc came available.

It is amazing how ill prepared we were for the Spanish American War, apparently Ft. Macon, Beaufort, NC was still manned with Civil War ordinance, 2 100lb Parrots and 2 large cast mortars, there were also a couple of 6 lb Napoleon barrels that they jury rigged onto casement carriages found in the fort. Ft. Macon was tasked with protecting Beaufort Harbor from attack by Spanish dreadnaughts..........

https://friendsoffortmacon.org/spanish-american-war-part-i/

I do see what appears to be a nice Spencer in there..

Yep sure is, As John Wayne said in True Grit. "Pretty good for a one eyed fat man"

Back