Seeking Photo/Insignia Information

TBurns

Cadet
Hi Everyone,

I have a photo that I am seeking any information anyone can offer about the possible date of the what the insignia on the mans hat stands for. Is this a Civil War era soldier? Also, how do you upload photos? As you can tell, I am rookie!!

Thanks for your help.

Tom

TBurns,

I would look on the bottom of the fresh/clear posting frame, on the bottom is has "Upload A File." That is one option. The other is on top of the frame, where the Bold, Italics, Underline, line justify... well move over to the little 'tree' icon, mouse over it, it will say insert/edit image. Follow the instructions in the prompt.

You need to type something in the posting message box before inserting an image and entering it--somewhere. Helps to describe what image we're looking at.

Hope this helps and look forward to seeing the photograph. :thumbsup:

M. E. Wolf

M. E. Thanks...that was so obvious, yet apparently so easy for me to overlook!! At any rate, here are several views of the picture in question. As I study it more, I am thinking it is probably from the later 1800's or early 1900's. Perhaps Spanish American War?? Will anxiously await any information anyone can provide.

Thanks again,

Tom

Attachments

• Scan.jpeg
    Scan.jpeg
    147.2 KB · Views: 410
  • Scan 1.jpeg
    Scan 1.jpeg
    150.8 KB · Views: 284
  • Scan 2.jpeg
    Scan 2.jpeg
    60.7 KB · Views: 274
  • Scan 3.jpeg
    Scan 3.jpeg
    19.1 KB · Views: 301
  • Scan 4.jpeg
    Scan 4.jpeg
    30.1 KB · Views: 266
TBurns,

You wrote:
M. E. Thanks...that was so obvious, yet apparently so easy for me to overlook!! At any rate, here are several views of the picture in question. As I study it more, I am thinking it is probably from the later 1800's or early 1900's. Perhaps Spanish American War?? Will anxiously await any information anyone can provide.

Thanks again,

Tom

I see you did just fine!

I agree with Ole - it is 13th Cavalry, Company "K" (crossed sabers are Cavalry insignia); now it is just a matter of looking at the Library of Congress' "Uniforms of the Military" or, some other Quarter-Master site for uniforms--I wouldn't skip the wars in between Post Civil War and WWI. That kepi is the best clue as to 'style.'

Check out this link:

http://www.history.army.mil/html/museums/uniforms/survey_uwa.pdf

Look at 1880's - pg. 34 onward....

Page 36's kepi looks very similar to your man in the photograph...1897 Forge cap.

What do you think?

M. E. Wolf

Back