Seeking info on 1857-1861 uniform

Dr.Mike

Cadet
This militia officer's uniform has collar and cuff trim that is quite similar to that on the 79th New York Highlander uniform. But, the officers of that regiment seemed to wear to wear unadorned uniforms. Does anyone know of a militia unit whose officers wore this uniform?

The name "D. H. Krause" is embroidered in the back lining. Only one officer with that name was located. David Krause from Norristown, PA was reported by the Philadelphia Inquirer in 1861 to have transferred from a volunteer unit to accept a commission in the Regulars, with the 14th U.S. Infantry. David Krause rose from Lt. to Capt. and was brevetted Major for gallant and meritorious service at Gettysburg.

But in which volunteer unit did he start his service?

D.H.Krause_ss.jpg

DavidKrause14thUS.jpg

Your first guess is as good as mine. I'd try to find out if there were any pictures of 79th NY officers in uniform or first hand accounts describing frock coats. I'm not sure their officers wore frock coats with similar style to the Scottish influenced uniforms of the enlisted men.

I wonder if good ole @Package4 has an idea.

Last edited:
This is a nice looking coat. If it was worm by D. H. Krause before the Civil War, the fist step would be to be sure it is a pre Civil War coat. .

What kind of buttons are on that - New York? I don't know why but for some reason seeing that makes me think of the 39th N. Y., Garibaldi Guard.

I did find this one online. It is a model of a member of the 79th NYSTM in 1860 before the War. The painting of the model was inspired by someone's 8 page dissertation written about the 79th's uniform. It look like there was a wide variation on the collars. Below are two links which show the type of collars.

79_04.jpg

Back