Seeking a source for Lt Jerome on LRT July 2

Scott Brown

Private
In Bill Cameron's Gettysburg Magazine #3 article on the Signal Corps, he asserted that Buford's signal officer was up on Little Round Top "early in the morning " on July 2, but it's not cited.

Are there any accounts that point to when/how long Jerome was up there?

Thanks in advance.

While researching weather conditions, some sources reported patchy ground fog (misty) conditions early on July 2, which did not dissipate until mid-morning. Even if Lt. Jerome was up there early, which one would expect, there was not likely much to see. I am only aware of the Official Report that shows his first observation to be at 11:45 a.m.

Last edited:
Tom, that's what I'm leaning towards. In the early to mid morning Buford would have known what was in his front simply by intel from his videttes, and as you said, those "morning mists" would have hindered observations from LRT. Anderson's arrival changed things though, and I can see Buford sending Jerome up the hill at that point.

I just wish we had something that confirmed that.

A correct interpretation of the countermarch would benefit from knowing that.

Buford apparently departed before R. H. Anderson's division had extended itself very far southward.

In fact, Buford's videttes may not have extended beyond Warfield Ridge, given that two of his wandering cavalrymen who may have been looking for breakfast at a farmhouse (I think the Samuel Pitzer place) were captured in a bluff by a member (Coupland Page) of Pendleton's small reconnaissance group.

Buford apparently departed before R. H. Anderson's division had extended itself very far southward.

In fact, Buford's videttes may not have extended beyond Warfield Ridge, given that two of his wandering cavalrymen who may have been looking for breakfast at a farmhouse (I think the Samuel Pitzer place) were captured in a bluff by a member (Coupland Page) of Pendleton's small reconnaissance group.
Tom, was your article in Issue 54 the full recollection of Page's Gettysburg experience, or select portions? I've found it very interesting and useful in the understanding of what was going on along and behind Seminary Ridge on the morning of July 2.

Tom, was your article in Issue 54 the full recollection of Page's Gettysburg experience, or select portions? I've found it very interesting and useful in the understanding of what was going on along and behind Seminary Ridge on the morning of July 2.
It was his complete account.

Back