Second Wisconsin Infantry - Iron Brigade

frontrank2

Captain
Forum Host
2ndwisc.jpg

A photo of some members of the famous Second Wisconsin Infantry. I've never seen the tin cup worn in that manner before. Also, note the dark blue pants instead of the sky blue ones worn by the rest of the brigade ( and the rest of the army pretty much ). IIRC, the Second were originally issued 1816 Harper's Ferry muskets converted to percussion, then they were given 1854 Austrian Lorentz muskets. Date of this photo is around 1861.

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 126309
Date of this photo is around 1861.

The 2nd Wisconsin didn't receive Austrian M1854s until January of 1862. Since that is what the men in this photo are armed with it would be impossible for that image to have been struck in 1861. It is much more likely that this image dates to the spring or summer of 1862 during the Peninsula campaign. There were a number of volunteer regiments in the Army of the Potomac that were wearing Regulars issue dark blue trousers.

Very cool image. Thanks for sharing.

View attachment 126309
A photo of some members of the famous Second Wisconsin Infantry. I've never seen the tin cup worn in that manner before. Also, note the dark blue pants instead of the sky blue ones worn by the rest of the brigade ( and the rest of the army pretty much ). IIRC, the Second were originally issued 1816 Harper's Ferry muskets converted to percussion, then they were given 1854 Austrian Lorentz muskets. Date of this photo is around 1861.
You are thinking 1861. The fellow on the right standing appears to be Afro-American or is it my eyes.

7thWisconsin

Sergeant Major
2nd Wisconsin color guard. Taken nearby?

View attachment 137726

Source.
These men were all killed at Antietam. I have never seen the photo from the OP until this year, but it clearly shows the Ragged-assed 2nd kitted out as members of Gibbons Black Hat Brigade. The leggings were issued in May 1862, and were gone by Fredericksburg in December. I think the photo is from the summer of 1862, not later than October. The Brigade was not on the Peninsula, but was in Fredericksburg, then to Cedar Mountain, arriving just in time to clean up from the battle. There were no men of color in the 2nd. You're probably seeing deep suntan and the darkening of the skin from pine smoke.

WJC

Major General
Judge Adv. Genl.
Thread Medic
Answered the Call for Reinforcements
View attachment 126309
Great photo! Thanks for posting!
Where did you find it?

7thWisconsin

Sergeant Major
nice photography. I always was impressed at the elaborate nature of the color guards on both sides. Even wearing white gaiters was something I always thought interesting but also practical.
The color guard is wearing the same uniform the rest of the Brigade wore, including the gaiters. They were famously unpopular with the troops. Hard to keep clean. They sag. They're surprisingly hot and heavy. And they make you look more like a soldier than they liked. They were only issued once, and never replaced or reissued, so that tells you they were a dead end. Gibbon threatened to turn artillery on the 19th Indiana if they fell in without gaiters, sparking the fondly remembered "gaiter mutiny." And, a couple wags from the 6th Wisconsin put two pairs on the general's horse. Yep, they hated gaiters.

Brian Downey

Private
2nd Wisconsin color guard. Taken nearby?

Sorry to have not seen this photo earlier - I've just come upon it looking into one of my Antietam guys, Corporal George W. Holloway.

Thanks Chubachus for posting it! It no longer seems to be available from the Wisconsin Historical Society.

Holloway is in that picture, 2nd from the right. He was killed in action at Antietam. That should help date the photo - it must have been taken before 17 September 1862.

To his right (our left) is Sgt James Gow, KIA at Gettysburg. I don't have ID for any of the others.

To add, here's a formal portrait of Holloway:

holloway_gw_lg.jpg

Robert Gray

First Sergeant
This group has been tentatively identified as members of Co. C of the 2nd Wisconsin, and the individual seated in the center is thought to be Corporal Spencer Train. All of the soldiers are wearing the black Hardee hats, frock coats, and leggings characteristic of the Iron Brigade, and it may be that the photograph was taken soon after the uniforms were issued to show the men fully equipped. If the corporal is indeed Train, the picture was taken between October 1861, when blue uniforms replaced the gray originally issued by the state of Wisconsin and August 1862, when Train was promoted to sergeant. Train died in 1863 from wounds received at Gettysburg.

8thFlorida

First Sergeant
This group has been tentatively identified as members of Co. C of the 2nd Wisconsin, and the individual seated in the center is thought to be Corporal Spencer Train. All of the soldiers are wearing the black Hardee hats, frock coats, and leggings characteristic of the Iron Brigade, and it may be that the photograph was taken soon after the uniforms were issued to show the men fully equipped. If the corporal is indeed Train, the picture was taken between October 1861, when blue uniforms replaced the gray originally issued by the state of Wisconsin and August 1862, when Train was promoted to sergeant. Train died in 1863 from wounds received at Gettysburg.
I believe Iowa had grey uniforms as well initially?