Second Rhode Island

frontrank2

Captain
Forum Host
Men of the 2nd Rhode Island Infantry ( Elijah Hunt Rhodes regiment ) in camp - 1861.

2ndRI.png

LoyaltyOfDogs

Sergeant Major
The negative for this image is at the National Archives (NARA-529447a).

View attachment 387608
One of the striking details about this picture, apart from the fact that the soldier on the left appears to have a peg leg, is the strong resemblance these three soldiers share. The two on the right look like twins. I wonder if these are three brothers.

1610634400806.png

I'd appreciate hearing from the weapon experts regarding the muskets they are carrying. I haven't had a chance to zoom in on the pictures, but in the 2nd photo I don't see any rear sights so I presume these are smoothbores. I am not a student of the M-1842 Smoothbore but my guess is that is what they are carrying, and it would be a likely possibility considering the photo is from 1861. Can anyone confirm please?

Robert Gray

First Sergeant
I'd appreciate hearing from the weapon experts regarding the muskets they are carrying. I haven't had a chance to zoom in on the pictures, but in the 2nd photo I don't see any rear sights so I presume these are smoothbores. I am not a student of the M-1842 Smoothbore but my guess is that is what they are carrying, and it would be a likely possibility considering the photo is from 1861. Can anyone confirm please?
Yes. This is the M1842 Smoothbore.

lf (2).jpg

lf (1).jpg

Robert Gray

First Sergeant
John Hartwell. I hope you don't mind my posting the negative images for these photos. I figured everyone would enjoy seeing them in high resolution.