Secession talk was "Was Sherman's March justified?" Why or why not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The North's provocations that caused the war can't be justified, so the Union's war is also unjustified. All acts during the war were equally unjustified.
Yes all the provacations that peace loving South Carolina and the rest of the deep South endured...So have you found any that your state actually endured before it dragged this country into war? I can't wait to see what other excuses you can find...Maybe something happened in the slave state of Deleware or in the Pacific that you can use, you haven't used anything from there yet.

What provocations are you speaking of? From what I know, when the slave-owning states decided to secede, it was mostly over fear of Republicans coming to power and the abolitionist movement. This is South Carolina's declaration: http://avalon.law.yale.edu/19th_century/csa_scarsec.asp
This foolishness again?
Its the same never ending quest to try to portray South Carolina as the innocent peace loving victim that had to leave the evil Union to save itself so that she can continue her God given work to transform her happy slaves so that they can take their proper place in white society..

What provocations are you speaking of? From what I know, when the slave-owning states decided to secede, it was mostly over fear of Republicans coming to power and the abolitionist movement. This is South Carolina's declaration: http://avalon.law.yale.edu/19th_century/csa_scarsec.asp

Maybe you should reread it.

In the present case, that fact is established with certainty. We assert that fourteen of the States have deliberately refused, for years past, to fulfill their constitutional obligations, and we refer to their own Statutes for the proof.

This stipulation was so material to the compact, that without it that compact would not have been made.

The same article of the Constitution stipulates also for rendition by the several States of fugitives from justice from the other States.

...the States of Ohio and Iowa have refused to surrender to justice fugitives charged with murder, and with inciting servile insurrection in the State of Virginia.

Thus the constituted compact has been deliberately broken and disregarded by the non-slaveholding States, and the consequence follows that South Carolina is released from her obligation.

This foolishness again?

Yes all the provacations that peace loving South Carolina and the rest of the deep South endured...So have you found any that your state actually endured before it dragged this country into war? I can't wait to see what other excuses you can find...Maybe something happened in the slave state of Deleware or in the Pacific that you can use, you haven't used anything from there yet.

Its the same never ending quest to try to portray South Carolina as the innocent peace loving victim that had to leave the evil Union to save itself so that she can continue her God given work to transform her happy slaves so that they can take their proper place in white society..

Offenders often try to justify their actions, they create a false narrative and blame the victims.

If Sherman's march is to be justified, you must first justify the war, in order to justify the war, you must justify the violations and provocations that led up to it.

Offenders often try to justify their actions, they create a false narrative and blame the victims.

If Sherman's march is to be justified, you must first justify the war, in order to justify the war, you must justify the violations and provocations that led up to it.

Like stealing Federal property and shooting at Federal troops? You can try to justify those but you will fail again.

Since those acts were after SC's secession, they were justifiable actions against coercion.

We are trying to justify war not secession, but since you bring it up secession was in itself a provocation. With no legal standing as withdrawn from the Union the acts I mentioned were easy to justify as provocation for war. Once again the south and in this particular case SC acted in such a manner that war was an inevitable consequence. Lincoln was bound by his Constitutional duty to react to rebellion.
So again your argument falls flat with the sickening thud of the premise that secession was independence. It was not.

Since those acts were after SC's secession, they were justifiable actions against coercion.
So any evidence yet of things that South Carolina experienced herself that caused her to drag this nation into war? Not someting that occured to another state that wasn't even enough for them them to seceed, but things that happened to South Carolina directly... Heres your big chance to show all the evidence of what the evil Yankees did that caused South Carolina to seceed..

What happened? You used to present your arguments with logic and sources and reason. Now you seem to have fallen in with the tiny emotion-based crowd that obstinately believes the South could do no wrong.

The actions were not justifiable; they were theft.

What happened? You used to present your arguments with logic and sources and reason. Now you seem to have fallen in with the tiny emotion-based crowd that obstinately believes the South could do no wrong.

The actions were not justifiable; they were theft.

Just because it 'seems' so doesn't mean it's my intentions. Heck, I can't help that you defend evil doers.

South Carolina was at war the day they fired on the Star of the West. Using logic, a state that declared it's independence from the Union can't very well maintain it with the enemy occupying its major port. With patience they waited for Anderson's departure, instead he moved to a new position that commanded the harbor. In response they took control of their harbor and made Anderson leave.

Just because it 'seems' so doesn't mean it's my intentions. Heck, I can't help that you defend evil doers.

South Carolina was at war the day they fired on the Star of the West. Using logic, a state that declared it's independence from the Union can't very well maintain it with the enemy occupying its major port. With patience they waited for Anderson's departure, instead he moved to a new position that commanded the harbor. In response they took control of their harbor and made Anderson leave.

And how did that work out for them in April, 1865?

So any evidence yet of things that South Carolina experienced herself that caused her to drag this nation into war? Not someting that occured to another state that wasn't even enough for them them to seceed, but things that happened to South Carolina directly... Heres your big chance to show all the evidence of what the evil Yankees did that caused South Carolina to seceed..

I'll tell you what, I'll use your logic against you, maybe then you'll see your nonsense.

Since SC only fired purposely on the Star of the West and Fort Sumter, then only those people actually fired on had justification for going to war with SC.

Now you can move your portable goalposts.

I'll tell you what, I'll use your logic against you, maybe then you'll see your nonsense.

Since SC only fired purposely on the Star of the West and Fort Sumter, then only those people actually fired on had justification for going to war with SC.

Now you can move your portable goalposts.
So no evidence then, just things that the states directly involved in didn't even deem cause enough to seceed... Thats what I thought...All this bluster about poor South Carolina being victimized by the evil tyranical North and you can't point to anything that can be used as evidence ...Maybe its more likely that the state with the lowest number of fugative slaves was just trying to find an excuse for something its been planning on doing for decades..But, don't worry Im sure you will find a way to shift the blame onto the Puritians or people going against the Bible or something else that happened 50 years before the war, anywere but where it belongs...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back