Secession: Did the South Have the Right to Secede/Hold An Armed Rebellion?

Secession: Did the South Have the Right to Secede?

• Yes

Votes: 20 43.5%
  • No

Votes: 26 56.5%

• Total voters

brass napoleon

Colonel
Retired Moderator
Member of the Year
Honored Fallen Comrade
I voted NO, even though I believe any state has the right to secede - IF it's done in accordance with the Constitution of the United States. But that's not how the South seceded. Unilateral secession is nothing but revolution, as Robert E. Lee said himself. And although I believe there is also a natural right to revolution, it can only be after exhausting all peaceful avenues first, which the South didn't even come close to doing.

If the secessionists believed secession was constitutional, they should have taken their case to the Supreme Court. If they believed it was unconstitutional, they should have tried to pass a constitutional amendment. That's the way it's done in the civilized world.

Last edited:

NedBaldwin

Major
It is a power denied to the States by the US Constitution. More detailed explanations have been discussed on various other threads.

Furthermore, in passing acts of secession the legislators of those states violated their oaths of office.

huskerblitz

Major
I voted yes because I do believe that the people of a state have the right to control their own destiny, and that includes how they wish to govern themselves.

unionblue

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Member of the Year
People have a right, a natural right, to rebel.

There is no right to unilateral secession.

There is a right to a legal secession, that of the consent of all the states in the Union, through a constitutional amendment, or through the courts.

I have not voted because all of the options above have not been made available.

Sincerely,
Unionblue

cash

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
No for unilateral secession. It is a violation of the Constitution, and for unilateral secession to be a state right the Supreme Court would have had to reverse itself in some key decisions it made regarding the relationship of states to the Federal government.