Searching for POWs taken at Battle of Carnifex Ferry

CP2E

Private
Hello...

I have found a news article about a relative who claims to have been taken prisoner at the Battle of Carnifex Ferry. I am dubious that this is true because the battle was September 10, 1861, and I have a receipt of services he rendered to the Confederate States of America from October 1861. I have documentation that he served in two different West Virginia State Guard companies on the Union side, after 1863, which is when West Virginia became a separate state from Virginia. Does anyone know how I would find out specifically who was taken prisoner at that battle (Carnifex)? Are there Confederate records from each battle? Thanks for any info.
CP2E

Hello...

I have found a news article about a relative who claims to have been taken prisoner at the Battle of Carnifex Ferry. I am dubious that this is true because the battle was September 10, 1861, and I have a receipt of services he rendered to the Confederate States of America from October 1861. I have documentation that he served in two different West Virginia State Guard companies on the Union side, after 1863, which is when West Virginia became a separate state from Virginia. Does anyone know how I would find out specifically who was taken prisoner at that battle (Carnifex)? Are there Confederate records from each battle? Thanks for any info.
CP2E

I have a paperback published in 1985 entitled "September Blood, the Battle of Carnifex Ferry" that lists the Confederate casualties, including those (mostly sick) who were captured. Could you provide his name?

Dave

Back