Edged Wpns Searching for Family heirloom

I am happy to have found this site. My goal is to find a sword that my grandmother had that belonged her Great-grandfather, a Lieutenant in The CSA!

It was engraved with his name: Lt. Thomas Gainer and had CSA on it as best as I recall. It was kept unceremoniously in a closet in her house. I would pull it out and play with it as a child. It disappeared many years ago after her death and I have only just started looking for it. Any help and direction to collectors would be greatly appreciated!

Welcome from THE Heart Of Dixie. I'm sure its in the hands of a collectors by now. Where did she live and how long ago was it. That would be helpful as being able to contact the known dealers in the area might help in tracking it down.

I am happy to have found this site. My goal is to find a sword that my grandmother had that belonged her Great-grandfather, a Lieutenant in The CSA!

It was engraved with his name: Lt. Thomas Gainer and had CSA on it as best as I recall. It was kept unceremoniously in a closet in her house. I would pull it out and play with it as a child. It disappeared many years ago after her death and I have only just started looking for it. Any help and direction to collectors would be greatly appreciated!
Welcome from Maryland!

Good luck and welcome to the forums from the host of the Stonewall Jackson Forum and sometime edged weapons collector!

There are a number of Civil War dealers who keep "want lists." Some specialize in swords and others in Confederate items. You might give them the info on the sword on the off-chance one of them ever obtains it. Hopefully you will recognize it if you ever see it. And hopefully, no one will ever try to fake one for you.

It's a long shot, but I know just how you feel. You are compelled to do what you can. I certainly would.

And welcome to CWT.

welcome to the site, it maybe a long road in finding that one, and if you did most items identified to a certain person expect to pay a pretty penny

Hello and welcome from the Book, Movie, and TV Discussion forum.

Good luck on your search, but you are looking for a needle in three or four haystacks.

Welcome from Missouri. I'd like to know the whereabouts of my ancestor's saber and revolver, too. I think it's quite possible that they are somewhere in the county just north of my home county. That's where he went back to farm after the war and I know he took them with him. So far as I know, his son died a bachelor. He might have had them at the time of his death. I believe there were a couple of daughters, too, and they married. Thus, the items might still be in the collection of a family with a different surname, or they might have gone in an estate sale. It is frustrating to ponder.

Need more bio information on the name.

Was this the sixth Florida? etc

A sword marked with the name _and_ CSA would likely have been a post war veterans association sword and not a war time presentation.

Cheers
GC

Back