Book Review Searching for Black Confederates: The Civil War’s Most Persistent Myth by Kevin M. Levin

Omission is one of the tools of the Denier trade.
Also "financial gain"? Forgive me ignorance here, but the SCV doesn't profit from honoring the fallen. If anything they lose money doing so since the Iron Crosses in question have to be purchased from money used in donations by camp members.
The only one who seems to be perpetuating myths for financial gain is Mr. Levin himself -- after all he doesn't just give his book away now, does he?

Last edited:

unionblue

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Member of the Year
The article doesn't describe any portrayal by the SCV. It quotes "Desert Rose Films", "advocates for the black Confederates theory" and "claims on the internet" but nothing attributed to the SCV.

@19thGeorgia ,

After doing a bit of checking on the internet and the sites I have mentioned in previous posts above, I find the SCV and the UDC claiming, together, to have put the CBF and the cross mentioned on Silas's grave.

The references were not that hard to find. All I did was type "Silas Chandler" and "SCV Camps" into my search engine.

One SCV Camp (#108) mentioned the 1994 ceremony involved both organizations placing those items on Silas's grave.

Unionblue

19thGeorgia

1st Lieutenant
@19thGeorgia ,

After doing a bit of checking on the internet and the sites I have mentioned in previous posts above, I find the SCV and the UDC claiming, together, to have put the CBF and the cross mentioned on Silas's grave.

The references were not that hard to find. All I did was type "Silas Chandler" and "SCV Camps" into my search engine.

One SCV Camp (#108) mentioned the 1994 ceremony involved both organizations placing those items on Silas's grave.

Unionblue
I know this. What's your point?

unionblue

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Member of the Year
Levin's book, pages 123-24:

"On September 17, 1994, the General William Barksdale Camp 1220, Sons of Confederate Veterans, and John M. Stone Chapter 380, United Daughters of the Confederacy (UDC), placed a Southern Cross of Honor on the grave of Silas Chandler in Greenwood Cemetery in West Point, Mississippi. By honoring him, the SCV transformed an unknown story about an obscure slave into a full-blown legend....The Cross of Honor, introduced in 1900 by the UDC, was intended for Confederate soldiers who performed acts of valor on the battlefield. It was about this time that Myra Chandler Sampson, the great-granddaughter of Silas, discovered the marker. For Sampson, it represented nothing less than the SCV’s and UDC’s goal to “perpetuate myths in attempt to rewrite and sugarcoat the shameful truth about parts of our American history for political and financial gain.”

Levin doesn't mention that descendants of Silas Chandler gave permission to place the marker and they took part in the ceremony. Levin makes it sound like it was a lone act of the SCV.

My point was your above claim that Levin doesn't mention that some of Silas Chandlers descendants gave permission to place the CBF and marker and that I told you he does mention such on his bog, which he does with the articles that he posts there.

Unionblue

Andersonh1

Brigadier General
Shouldn't an author's book be complete, in and of itself, with all relevant information included in the text? We should not have to go to his blog for clarification. If Levin left out some relevant information in his book, unless he directed readers to his blog (and he does cite his own blog as a source multiple times, which seems self-serving to me...), he's again leaving out relevant facts. My question is was it an oversight, or was it deliberate, because the facts contradict his narrative? It's easier to paint the SCV as villains if they're sneaking around behind the family's back, but considerably harder if the family contacted them and was involved in the initial recognition.

C.W. Roden

Formerly: SouthernFriedOtaku
I think you two better read the following article by both Myra Chandler Sampson and Kevin Levin about Silas Chandler and the SCV attempts to make him into something he was not.

FYI: There's more if you go to Levin's blog and search "Silas Chandler."

Unionblue
I think you two better read the following article by both Myra Chandler Sampson and Kevin Levin about Silas Chandler and the SCV attempts to make him into something he was not.

FYI: There's more if you go to Levin's blog and search "Silas Chandler."

Unionblue
Levin is chasing an imaginary enemy that as near as I can tell from my years of looking into has no significant power to control a historical narrative
The Col. Olin M. Dantzler Camp #73 Sons of Confederate Veterans restored his grave stone about a decade ago. It had been knocked over and broken in half and rested on the ground. The stone was restored and rededicated. Not sure if they have put a veterans marker down for him or not, haven't visited the site myself. All the same it was good to do all that for another honored veteran. Its what the SCV is all about.

C.W. Roden

What did the SCV portray Silas Chandler as?

Here's another article by Levin on Silas Chandler. Did you go to his blog and search for other articles on Silas?

You also should check out this list of articles on the same blog.

Unionblue
Relying on Levin as a sole source of information does not make the information accurate. Levin has proven time and time again to be less than reliable.

C.W. Roden

Article:
"The Cross of Honor, created in 1900 by the United Daughters of the Confederacy, was intended for Confederates who performed acts of valor on the battlefield"

He repeats that in his book, but it's not true. The Cross was for anyone who performed honorable service.

Yep and I can assure you that the original Daughters did NOT give those out to just anyone. If they were not considered an actual veteran by other Confederate Veterans, then they were not given the award.
In fact at least one Southern State (Virginia) made it illegal to wear that particular award if it was not given by the UDC -- and trust me in those days "Stolen Valor" was not taken lightly -- and nevermind what would have happened to a black man that did it, given the attitudes of the time.

C.W. Roden

Perhaps you are or were naive at one time. I am not. You know why that is? It is because I learned a long time ago to double & triple check my sources. So, when Levin uses the History Detetives show on PBS as an example of how investigators sort out claimes & debunk disinformation, I call that thought provoking. I say that because I am aware of the kind of work the individuals involved do. I know that from personal experience.
Perhaps you would like to address the preprepublication disinformation campaign that preceded the publication of the book. What term would you apply to that? Where is it, page number, etc. that you find the conflict between fact & context in Levin's work? That would be helpful in understanding your condemnation of his work.
Uh would you like to explain what "preprepublication" is exactly?
As for the condemnation of his work, I suggest you check out the following article debunking the myths of Black Confederate Denial -- one that I might add none of the so-called "experts" have tried to examine using your specific criteria. The information there tears apart the foundations of Black Confederate Denial, and provides all the credible sources:

unionblue

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Member of the Year
Shouldn't an author's book be complete, in and of itself, with all relevant information included in the text? We should not have to go to his blog for clarification. If Levin left out some relevant information in his book, unless he directed readers to his blog (and he does cite his own blog as a source multiple times, which seems self-serving to me...), he's again leaving out relevant facts. My question is was it an oversight, or was it deliberate, because the facts contradict his narrative? It's easier to paint the SCV as villains if they're sneaking around behind the family's back, but considerably harder if the family contacted them and was involved in the initial recognition.

Ask the author.

unionblue

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Member of the Year
Relying on Levin as a sole source of information does not make the information accurate. Levin has proven time and time again to be less than reliable.

He had proven, time and time again, that those who attack him always seem to come up short with facts and evidence. This is why he is frequently called "less than reliable" and worse by those who cannot face his evidence.

Yep and I can assure you that the original Daughters did NOT give those out to just anyone. If they were not considered an actual veteran by other Confederate Veterans, then they were not given the award.
In fact at least one Southern State (Virginia) made it illegal to wear that particular award if it was not given by the UDC -- and trust me in those days "Stolen Valor" was not taken lightly -- and nevermind what would have happened to a black man that did it, given the attitudes of the time.

The "original Daughters" have either been misled OR they too permit emotional appeals to overcome factual evidence in support of the stated mission. Either or doesn't matter. The faqct is the majority of the family wanted neither symbol on Silas's grave.

Uh would you like to explain what "preprepublication" is exactly?
As for the condemnation of his work, I suggest you check out the following article debunking the myths of Black Confederate Denial -- one that I might add none of the so-called "experts" have tried to examine using your specific criteria. The information there tears apart the foundations of Black Confederate Denial, and provides all the credible sources:

What I see contained in your article, Carl, is you setting the stage, hiring your 'actors', and putting on a political attack play.

As you did with your review of Levin's book, you went partisan and personal, trying to preach the faith and hold the faithful in their pews. You then reach out for other, far-fetched, explanations to ensure the myth receives another transfusion of fantasy.

It's not Levin, I suspect, that is all that unreliable, but yourself, in trying to straddle two worlds, a nice guy and a heritage advocate who cannot afford to lose any of his base believers.

Unionblue

C.W. Roden

He had proven, time and time again, that those who attack him always seem to come up short with facts and evidence. This is why he is frequently called "less than reliable" and worse by those who cannot face his evidence.

The "original Daughters" have either been misled OR they too permit emotional appeals to overcome factual evidence in support of the stated mission. Either or doesn't matter. The faqct is the majority of the family wanted neither symbol on Silas's grave.

What I see contained in your article, Carl, is you setting the stage, hiring your 'actors', and putting on a political attack play.

As you did with your review of Levin's book, you went partisan and personal, trying to preach the faith and hold the faithful in their pews. You then reach out for other, far-fetched, explanations to ensure the myth receives another transfusion of fantasy.

It's not Levin, I suspect, that is all that unreliable, but yourself, in trying to straddle two worlds, a nice guy and a heritage advocate who cannot afford to lose any of his base believers.

Unionblue
"What I see contained in your article, Carl, is you setting the stage, hiring your 'actors', and putting on a political attack play."

The hero of this story responds: Funny, I don't evoke politics in my article. The only think I did was explain how Black Confederate Denial historical negationism stands on a flimsy house of cards and take apart their regressive arguments, piece by shallow piece.

As for the rest, I don't seek "followers" or to profit from history at the expense of African-American servicemen, not like Mr. Levin does -- and he does so at the expense of denigrating and holding back Black History as a whole to suit an unsavory agenda.
My blog isn't even monetized. I earn nothing from this. All I care about is telling as accurate a story as I can based on what I believe to be the truth. No more, no less. I personally think you read far too much into one single (well written and researched) article on my part, though it doesn't really explain who I am. Clearly you have no clue who I am, or what I actually believe.

As for how nice a guy I am in real life, well, you'll just have to wait for Mr. Shaffner's report on our upcoming meeting in March at Bentonville, I suppose.

unionblue

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Member of the Year
"What I see contained in your article, Carl, is you setting the stage, hiring your 'actors', and putting on a political attack play."

The hero of this story responds: Funny, I don't evoke politics in my article. The only think I did was explain how Black Confederate Denial historical negationism stands on a flimsy house of cards and take apart their regressive arguments, piece by shallow piece.

As for the rest, I don't seek "followers" or to profit from history at the expense of African-American servicemen, not like Mr. Levin does -- and he does so at the expense of denigrating and holding back Black History as a whole to suit an unsavory agenda.
My blog isn't even monetized. I earn nothing from this. All I care about is telling as accurate a story as I can based on what I believe to be the truth. No more, no less. I personally think you read far too much into one single (well written and researched) article on my part, though it doesn't really explain who I am. Clearly you have no clue who I am, or what I actually believe.

As for how nice a guy I am in real life, well, you'll just have to wait for Mr. Shaffner's report on our upcoming meeting in March at Bentonville, I suppose.

@C.W. Roden,

I can only tell from what I read here and at your blog, Carl, and what I see is mainly opinion and back-handed slaps disguised as good-natured, "aw shucks" sugarcoating.

Until our next post,
Unionblue

Old_Glory

2nd Lieutenant

I not only wanted to like this post, I wanted to quote it and say you are 100% correct. This bigotry game against the Confederates (that also harms Black History in the South) is getting really old and showing its age. It solves nothing, explains nothing, and only generates vast amounts of hatred.

It is nothing more than an agenda, not actual history. One cannot use the word "myth" to dismiss truth and facts. Only simpletons fall for that cheap ploy.

unionblue

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Member of the Year
Huh?...You're kiddin', right?

@19thGeorgia ,

Look, I've followed the man's blog for years and that's what I have found.

Now, you may not agree with me, but like it or not, Levin comes across with evidence and facts that convinces me.

I do not lump you into the same category as I do Carl and some others here. You, even though there are times I do not agree with YOUR assumptions and views, I have seen you present real evidence and facts to support your views and you have my respect for that.

Or would you rather I do like some others to do Levin, attack, call into question your honesty and research without providing any of my own to back up any bad remarks I would make about you?

I hope not, as in my own opinion, your evidence deserves to be evaluated on it's merits and not on any personal dislikes.

So, no, not kidding.

Sincerely,
Unionblue

unionblue

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Member of the Year
I not only wanted to like this post, I wanted to quote it and say you are 100% correct. This bigotry game against the Confederates (that also harms Black History in the South) is getting really old and showing its age. It solves nothing, explains nothing, and only generates vast amounts of hatred.

It is nothing more than an agenda, not actual history. One cannot use the word "myth" to dismiss truth and facts. Only simpletons fall for that cheap ploy.

One man's opinion does not a verdict make.

C.W. Roden

@C.W. Roden,

I can only tell from what I read here and at your blog, Carl, and what I see is mainly opinion and back-handed slaps disguised as good-natured, "aw shucks" sugarcoating.

Until our next post,
Unionblue
I merely try to channel my role model, the late great Mr. Lewis Grizzard. I would point out that my blog isn't strictly a history blog either, even if I do tell local historical accounts from time to time. And as I said, I don't do this to profit from the dead, or feed my own ego.
For the most part all of my "aw shucks" stuff is good-natured. I don't hate anyone, and I don't recognize people who disagree with me as personal "enemies" just folks who need to be educated.
Also I am certain when it comes to the subject of defending Black Confederate Veterans, I have sugar coated nothing dude.