Searching for Black Confederates by Kevin Levin

DanSBHawk

1st Lieutenant
It doesn't take long to figure out that academic historians have a good-ole-boy/good-ole-gal system. Not surprising they give each other glowing reviews.
And it's not surprising that pro-confederates give Levin's book negative reviews.

So it boils down to who are you going to believe. Edited.

Last edited by a moderator:

C.W. Roden

Formerly: SouthernFriedOtaku
And it's not surprising that pro-confederates give Levin's book negative reviews.

So it boils down to who are you going to believe. Edited.
Dude, Kevin Levin doesn't really believe what he wrote in the first place.
He wrote that book to make money and profit from mockery of the dead while feeding his ego. Period.

DanSBHawk

1st Lieutenant
Dude, Kevin Levin doesn't really believe what he wrote in the first place.
He wrote that book to make money and profit from mockery of the dead while feeding his ego. Period.
I haven't seen any evidence to support that. It's just more ad hominem. People can't refute Levin, so they attack him.

C.W. Roden

I haven't seen any evidence to support that. It's just more ad hominem. People can't refute Levin, so they attack him.
People can't refute me so they attack me too. Just playing the game by the rules the opposition set.
Also since Levin is too timid to actually engage me, I can only go by what I see from second and third hand sources.

DanSBHawk

1st Lieutenant
People can't refute me so they attack me too. Just playing the game by the rules the opposition set.
Also since Levin is too timid to actually engage me, I can only go by what I see from second and third hand sources.
I understand. No scientist has refuted my theories of time travel. It must be that they're intimidated by my genius.

C.W. Roden

Sorry. Not interested in word games. Everyone here knows what "pro-confederate" means.
Apparently I don't fall under the category of "everyone" because I don't know. I'm asking for your clarification, not your poor attempts at deflection. I really do want to know what YOU deem as "pro-Confederate" in detail.

C.W. Roden

Searching for the truth through the fog of Unionist propaganda.
My guess would be that his definition falls under the line of anyone who doesn't start out with "Hi, I'm so-and-so, I use so-and-so pronouns and I hate my Confederate ancestors." All the same I would like to know in all seriousness what he defines as pro-Confederate so I can make a comparison to my own views on the topic and see if I measure up.

DanSBHawk

1st Lieutenant
Well this might not be the forum for that discussion, but I'd love to hear those theories actually.
My blog is open for such discussions.
I was being sarcastic. I could come up with some theories, but I doubt that scientists would feel some obligation to refute them. It's the same as your blog article. Even if more than just that one author has read your article, they may not feel any obligation to take the time to refute it.

DanSBHawk

1st Lieutenant
My guess would be that his definition falls under the line of anyone who doesn't start out with "Hi, I'm so-and-so, I use so-and-so pronouns and I hate my Confederate ancestors." All the same I would like to know in all seriousness what he defines as pro-Confederate so I can make a comparison to my own views on the topic and see if I measure up.
I don't have a definition other than what I already said. It's a person with a particular bias.

You're not going to have any luck coming with a rigid set of beliefs. Some may believe every word of the Lost Cause, some may not. I believe the UDC still has some sort of "creed" that all the adherents are supposed to believe, but other than that, I don't know that anyone has set a doctrine in stone. If you're looking for details, check the UDC and the SCV. They may have a list of what you should believe.

AshleyMel

Sergeant Major
I believe the UDC still has some sort of "creed" that all the adherents are supposed to believe,
:nah disagree: Source please.

Adherents???
We are mothers, daughters, grandmothers and granddaughters from all different walks of life and places around the country. Please bestow to us the respect you would show to others.

Last edited:

DanSBHawk

1st Lieutenant
:nah disagree: Source please.

Adherents???
We are mothers, daughters, grandmothers and granddaughters from all different walks of life and places around the country. Please bestow to us the respect you would show to others.
It is a creed for "Children of the Confederacy," which is an auxiliary of the UDC. Apparently they revised it in 2015, but here is a plaque that was recently removed in Texas.

<Photograph from another website deleted for copyright concerns.>

https://deadconfederates.com/2019/0...eracy-creed-to-be-removed-from-texas-capitol/

Last edited by a moderator:

AshleyMel

Sergeant Major
A removed plaque from 1959 does not represent any sort of "still have" belief. It's over 60 years old.
The assumptions and allegations of what the UDC, CofC or even the SCV are "supposed to believe", is not the actual reality of those of us that are members in these organizations. The narrative that we are all little old white racist ladies raising little white supremist children that is perpetuated by activists, bloggers and agitators and those that wish us harm is very dangerous to us and our families.
There are quite a few of us here that are members of these organizations and the constant attempt to label us as "adherents" to any creed or belief bias is unwarranted. We are all individuals with individual opinions and studies of the Civil War.
Again, please afford us the respect that you would give to others.

Last edited:

Scott1967

Sergeant
I have seen a couple of lectures by Kevin Levin.

I'm not the academic type I'm better fixing roofs and sticking doors and windows in.

However I like to think I have a certain amount of common sense or some might say.

If a Major General in the CSA army writes a letter with other prominent commanders asking for Slaves to be armed to serve the CSA with the reward being their freedom and gets politely ignored by Richmond in later 1864 I'm pretty sure that not a single slave was on the fighting roles of the CSA army.

That's not to say some people of colour didn't fight for the South but they were never recognized by the southern government or Army.

Just my opinion of course.

Last edited: