Searching for Black Confederates by Kevin Levin

Joshism

2nd Lieutenant
My local library said they were purchasing a copy, but six months later I'm still waiting. At this point I'm going to end up getting via ILL.

I think you will find everything that needs to be said about that particular piece of fiction writing here: http://southernfriedcommonsense.blogspot.com/2019/09/searching-for-and-failing-to-find.html

That was a lot of sound and fury signifying little. But hey you got a high five from Kevin's arch-nemesis Connie Chastain, so yay?

You use a lot of words without really explaining why Levin's "Black Confederate denial" is mistaken.

Andersonh1

Brigadier General
I've read it, and my complaint would be that too much relevant evidence is minimized or ignored entirely. The book makes a case on two things: 1) selective or partial evidence, and given that there are a lot of gaps in the evidence, 2) a lot of author speculation. And there are some factual errors as well, including something as simple as getting the date that the Confederate flag came down off the South Carolina State House dome wrong by a decade.

My full review is here: https://civilwartalk.com/threads/se...-by-kevin-m-levin.161120/page-13#post-2148024

Last edited:

CSA Today

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
My local library said they were purchasing a copy, but six months later I'm still waiting. At this point I'm going to end up getting via ILL.

That was a lot of sound and fury signifying little. But hey, so yay?

You use a lot of words without really explaining why Levin's "Black Confederate denial" is mistaken.
A high five from Connie is good enough for me. 😊

Tin cup

Captain
I think you will find everything that needs to be said about that particular piece of fiction writing here: http://southernfriedcommonsense.blogspot.com/2019/09/searching-for-and-failing-to-find.html
So, who are you speaking to/for? You say: "I think you will find everything that needs to be said" All I did was just read a bunch of opinionated anti-Levin garbage in a blog. You have nothing to add to disprove Mr. Levin's book besides: "As for my final judgment..."?:O o:

Kevin Dally

19thGeorgia

1st Lieutenant
The number of errors on one page (#65)-

"...the enlistment of slaves and free blacks commenced. In Richmond, Majors James W. Pegram and Thomas P. Turner took charge of recruiting efforts by running advertisements in the city’s newspapers....Reports of recruits enthusiastically joining the ranks proved to be premature as perhaps two dozen free blacks enlisted, only to be followed by news of these very same men abandoning their camp."

I have no idea where he gets this. It didn't happen.

"Among the slaves who signed up were two men who had been sentenced to hang for the crime of burglary but were granted pardons by the governor on the condition that they join the new unit."

They never signed up. When Pegram and Turner heard of this they placed a notice in newspapers that the prisoners would not be accepted. Just takes an extra bit of research to find that out.

"As a sign of just how little faith was placed in this unusual project, recruits were quartered at a former tobacco factory that had been turned into a military prison and served their meals at the notorious Libby Prison."

Iirc the building had been used as a prison.

"Two units were quickly organized in the Confederate capital. Winder and Jackson hospital supplied roughly sixty orderlies
and nurses for the first, while the other numbered fewer than ten recruits."

That's wrong and I have no idea where he gets it.

Tin cup

Captain
The number of errors on one page (#65)-

"...the enlistment of slaves and free blacks commenced. In Richmond, Majors James W. Pegram and Thomas P. Turner took charge of recruiting efforts by running advertisements in the city’s newspapers....Reports of recruits enthusiastically joining the ranks proved to be premature as perhaps two dozen free blacks enlisted, only to be followed by news of these very same men abandoning their camp."

I have no idea where he gets this. It didn't happen.

"Among the slaves who signed up were two men who had been sentenced to hang for the crime of burglary but were granted pardons by the governor on the condition that they join the new unit."

They never signed up. When Pegram and Turner heard of this they placed a notice in newspapers that the prisoners would not be accepted. Just takes an extra bit of research to find that out.

"As a sign of just how little faith was placed in this unusual project, recruits were quartered at a former tobacco factory that had been turned into a military prison and served their meals at the notorious Libby Prison."

Iirc the building had been used as a prison.

"Two units were quickly organized in the Confederate capital. Winder and Jackson hospital supplied roughly sixty orderlies
and nurses for the first, while the other numbered fewer than ten recruits."

That's wrong and I have no idea where he gets it.
So, what makes all these wrong? You state they are "wrong" but nothing to prove you are right? Just your say-so?

Kevin Dally

19thGeorgia

1st Lieutenant
So, what makes all these wrong? You state they are "wrong" but nothing to prove you are right? Just your say-so?

Kevin Dally

1584745974255.png

"
and nurses for the first, while the other [organized by Turner & Pegram] numbered fewer than ten recruits."

Richmond Examiner, March 27, 1865: "The company now numbers thirty-five."
When Richmond fell it had increased to a battalion.

1584746495182.png

Last edited:

Tin cup

Captain

View attachment 351661

"
and nurses for the first, while the other [organized by Turner & Pegram] numbered fewer than ten recruits."

Richmond Examiner, March 27, 1865: "The company now numbers thirty-five."
When Richmond fell it had increased to a battalion.

View attachment 351669
We depend on newspapers, Southern newspapers for absolute facts? :O o:

Kevin Dally

Tin cup

Captain
Do you have another source that refutes 19th GA's...??
Do you? How do you validate/refute anything having to do with southern newspapers?

I started this back in Oct of 2019, and just NOW, today everyone suddenly has an interest? :unsure:

Kevin Dally

Viper21

Brigadier General
Silver Patron
Do you? How do you validate/refute anything having to do with southern newspapers?

I started this back in Oct of 2019, and just NOW, today everyone suddenly has an interest? :unsure:

Kevin Dally
The same way you validate/refute any source. With additional sources.

You challenged 19th's statements, about some info in Levin's book. He provided a source for his claim. Now you disagree with his source, yet, don't provide another source to counter his claim. :nah disagree:

So, I'm guessing you don't have any sources to debunk 19th's claim, or to back up Levin's..?

C.W. Roden

Formerly: SouthernFriedOtaku

That was a lot of sound and fury signifying little. But hey you got a high five from Kevin's arch-nemesis Connie Chastain, so yay?

Well to fully explain why Levin's (and by extension all Black Confederate Denial historical negationism) is flawed, please check out my critically acclaimed article detailing the fundamental flaws of BCD. :wink:

Here's the link and do be certain to offer a review, there's a good fella:
http://southernfriedcommonsense.blogspot.com/2019/04/busting-myth-of-black-confederate-denial.html

bdtex

Major General
★★ Sr. Moderator
Silver Patron
Annual Winner
Regtl. Quartermaster Chickamauga 2018 Vicksburg 2019
The topic of this thread is NOT Connie Chastain. If y'all wanna argue about...er...discuss her,start another thread about her and have at it. Any more posts about her in this thread will be deleted and warning points issued.