• Welcome to the Receipts of the Blue & Gray. - The receipts you will find here are original Antebellum, and Civil War period receipts, as originally published between the years 1796 and 1880. One exception, is: Newspaper Clippings & Periodical Receipts are limited to a publishing period from 1858 to 1866.

Some receipts from this era attempted to give medicinal advice. Many dangerous, and in some cases, deadly, "cures" were given, reflecting the primitive knowledge of that time period. Don't assume everything you read here is safe to try! Recipes and Receipts posted here are for Historic Research Purposes, enjoy them, learn from them, discuss them!

★ If you attempt to try one of these recipes / receipts, you do so at your own risk! ★

• Welcome to CivilWarTalk, a forum about the American Civil War! - Join today! It's fast, simple, and FREE!

Pork/Lamb Scrapple

scrapple
2642560873_4ebfb0a531.jpg
(from Godey's Ladies Magazine, edited by L.A. Godey, Sarah J. Hale, 1860)

Ingredients:

leftover bits from making pork sausage​
pepper & salt​
sage​
sweet marjoram powdered​
Indian meal​

Instructions:

This is generally made of the head of a porker, the feet, and any pieces that may be left after making sausage-meat. Scrape and wash well all the pieces, and put them into a pot, with just as much water as will cover them; let them boil slowly till the flesh is perfectly soft, and the bones loose; take all the meat out of the pot, free it from the bones, cut it up fine, and return it to the liquor in the pot; season it with pepper, salt, and sage and sweet marjoram powdered, to the taste; set the pot over the fire, and, just before it begins to boil, stir in gradually as much Indian meal as will make it the thickness of stiff batter; let it boil a few minutes, take it off, and pour it in pans; when cold, cut it in slices, flour it, and fry it in hot lard.​

Photo by Steamykitchen, CC 3.0

Last edited by a moderator:
My grandfather always had the store bought (mass produced) scrapple, it always smelled great, and tasted horrid, there wasn't enough ketchup in the world to make it taste good.
I've heard that homemade and local made would be better, screwing up my courage to try some.

I've heard that homemade and local made would be better, screwing up my courage to try some.
You have heard correctly! There is a huge difference between the factory produced and the locally produced scrapple! Similar to the difference between tomatoes that are picked green, allowed to ripen while in shipping and a home-grown tomato picked at the peak of ripeness and eaten that day. If you have access to a god quality butcher shop, or better yet, relatives who make scrapple....try it....you may like it!

I like mine with just black pepper on it! Some add ketchup, syrup, mustard, jelly, or apple butter. Have tried it with condiments but my preference remains to have it plain. Usually with a pair of sunny-side-up eggs next to it and a glass of orange juice. But prefer not to mask the flavor of a good scrapple.

Last edited:
View attachment 134372

I really didn't think this belonged in ethnic recipes. This is recipe from the Smokey Mountains. It is from Cook book. "Mountain Makins in the Smokies"

"Scrapple is a most palatable dish. Take the heart, and any lean scraps of pork, and boil until it will slip easily from the bones. Remove the fat, gristles, and bones; then chop fine. Set aside the liquor in which the meat was boiled until cold. Take the cake of fat from the surface, and return to the fire. When it boils, put in the chopped meat, and season well with pepper and salt. Let it boil again. then thicken with cornmeal as you would in making ordinary cornmeal mush. Cook one hour, stirring constantly at first, then putting back on the stove to boil gently. When done, pour in a long pan to mold. This can be kept several weeks in cold weather. Cut in slices and fry brown as you do mush. A delicious breakfast dish.".

Since the recipe refers to mush, thought would add the mush recipe in this cook book.

"Mush Put one quart of water in a half-gallon kettle. Add 1 teaspoon salt. Let come to a boil. Then stir in slowly about one cup of cornmeal. Serve while hot with whole milk."
Have had mush and scrapple many times. I assumed there was a recipe for scrapple, but I've never seen one 'til now. My Mom's family prefer fried mush with butter and maple syrup. Virtually all the scrapple I've eaten I got in southeastern Pennsylvania.

View attachment 134372

I really didn't think this belonged in ethnic recipes. This is recipe from the Smokey Mountains. It is from Cook book. "Mountain Makins in the Smokies"

"Scrapple is a most palatable dish. Take the heart, and any lean scraps of pork, and boil until it will slip easily from the bones. Remove the fat, gristles, and bones; then chop fine. Set aside the liquor in which the meat was boiled until cold. Take the cake of fat from the surface, and return to the fire. When it boils, put in the chopped meat, and season well with pepper and salt. Let it boil again. then thicken with cornmeal as you would in making ordinary cornmeal mush. Cook one hour, stirring constantly at first, then putting back on the stove to boil gently. When done, pour in a long pan to mold. This can be kept several weeks in cold weather. Cut in slices and fry brown as you do mush. A delicious breakfast dish.".

Since the recipe refers to mush, thought would add the mush recipe in this cook book.

"Mush Put one quart of water in a half-gallon kettle. Add 1 teaspoon salt. Let come to a boil. Then stir in slowly about one cup of cornmeal. Serve while hot with whole milk."
A favorite of my maternal grandmother. According to her, the ingredients included about any part of the pig that wasn't useful in any other way, such as the brain, ears, etc. I don't recall that she ever convinced any of us kids to eat it....

That's a good one! I particularly like your adding cornmeal mush to it as well. I love cornmeal mush with plenty of brown sugar and milk - and the leftover, if there is any, goes into a pan for slicing up and frying next day!
Nothing better on a frosty, winter morning than a bowl of mush... except a dish of fried mush covered with butter and maple syrup....

Last edited by a moderator:
If I could figure out how to post a photo, I'd trump this food business in a heart beat. I'd show y'all a picture of a fried baloney samich! Three slices of lightly charred beef bologna between two slices of fresh enriched white bread, thinly coated with premium Miracle Whip mayo. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM Good!

@PeterT why don't you tells us about your experience and thoughts on Scrapple :smile:
What's not to like?

At the Lincoln Diner in Gettysburg last September, @War Horse and @Frums suggested an order of Scrapple was necessary for breakfast after our dawn visit to Devils Den etc. Well after they and @Bee had their tiny pieces I asked if anyone was going to eat the rest of it? After a resounding "no thank you", I dived in and demolished the rest. Tasted good to me :D ... but then again I've been known to eat virtually anything (a fact that endeared me to the mother-in-law very early on when I was dating her daughter). I've overheard her say "Peter's very good ... he eats anything!)

So scrapple gets a thumbs up from me :thumbsup:

If I could figure out how to post a photo, I'd trump this food business in a heart beat. I'd show y'all a picture of a fried baloney samich! Three slices of lightly charred beef bologna between two slices of fresh enriched white bread, thinly coated with premium Miracle Whip mayo. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM Good!
Don't know about the sandwich, but fried bologna was a regular breakfast item when I was in the military. I thought it quite tasty.

I was not sarcastic either, but many foods are not pristine and appealing once ingredients are contemplated. What you say is true to a point.
As a friend who worked in meat processing told me years ago, "If you saw what goes into a hot dog, you'd never eat another." Didn't deter me....

What's not to like?

At the Lincoln Diner in Gettysburg last September, @War Horse and @Frums suggested an order of Scrapple was necessary for breakfast after our dawn visit to Devils Den etc. Well after they and @Bee had their tiny pieces I asked if anyone was going to eat the rest of it? After a resounding "no thank you", I dived in and demolished the rest. Tasted good to me :D ... but then again I've been known to eat virtually anything (a fact that endeared me to the mother-in-law very early on when I was dating her daughter). I've overheard her say "Peter's very good ... he eats anything!)

So scrapple gets a thumbs up from me :thumbsup:
A very polite way to describe your treatment of that poor dish :smile:. Meade treated Lee with more kindness at Gettysburg. A moment which will be ingrained in all of our minds. Complete silence fell over the table while that massacre took place. :smile:

Back