CWT Presents Scott L. Mingus - Confederate General William "Extra Billy" Smith: From Virginia's Statehouse to Gettysburg Scapegoat

Added to Calendar: 03/10/21

lelliott19

Brigadier General
* OFFICIAL *
CWT PRESENTER
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Regtl. Staff Chickamauga 2018
1615151247697.png

CivilWarTalk Presents:
Scott L. Mingus
author of
Confederate General William "Extra Billy" Smith:
From Virginia's Statehouse to Gettysburg Scapegoat

Wednesday, March 10, 2021, at 8:30pm EST

In A Free Live Video Presentation
Scott Mingus, a scientist and consultant in the global pulp & paper industry, holds patents in self-adhesive postage stamps and bar code labels. The Ohio native graduated from the Paper Science & Engineering program at Miami University. He has written nineteen Civil War and Underground Railroad books and many articles for publications, including Gettysburg Magazine.

William "Extra Billy" Smith, the oldest and one of the most controversial Confederate generals on the field at Gettysburg, was also one of the most colorful and charismatic characters of the Civil War and the antebellum Old South. Despite a life full of drama, politics, and adventure, until now very few books have been written on Smith since a biased account in the 19th century by his brother-in-law. Scott L. Mingus Sr. has ably filled this historical void with Confederate General William "Extra Billy" Smith: From Virginia's Statehouse to Gettysburg Scapegoat. The book was the winner of multiple awards, including the Dr. James I. Robertson, Jr. Literary Award for Confederate history.

REGISTER to reserve your seat.
Seating is limited! You don't need to be a CivilWarTalk member to attend.

Don't forget to mark the date on your calendar!

1613956653845.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking forward to learning more about Extra Billy! There was a gentleman here in Virginia that used to reenact Extra Billy. He was very interesting. I believe he has passed away.

Last edited:
Ok everyone, it's time to get registered for Scott Mingus' presentation tomorrow night on Extra Billy Smith. Reserve your spot by registering here. Hope to see you Wednesday night at 8:30 pm EST.

Looking forward to learning more about Extra Billy! There was a gentleman here in Virginia that used to reenact Extra Billy. He was very interesting. I believe he has passed away.
My friend Dave Meisky. He and I had a lot of fun conversations about Extra Billy over the years. Great guy! Lived in Buena Vista VA.
Dave.jpg

Oh wow! What a great presentation by @Scott Mingus tonight! If you missed it, be sure to watch the recording. Extra Billy is such an interesting subject and Scott's presentation was awesome!
Sorry I couldn't make it tonight. Had too many things to do after work today.

My friend Dave Meisky. He and I had a lot of fun conversations about Extra Billy over the years. Great guy! Lived in Buena Vista VA.View attachment 393867
I met David multiple times. He led a private tour of, The Paxton House in BV for a few of us, a few years back. He used to always garner a lot of attention on Lee Jackson Day. He was great.

Back