Monuments Scoppe: Shouldn’t the owners of monuments get to decide their fate?

CMWinkler

Colonel
Retired Moderator
While not directly Civil War related, this explains some of my concerns about the hysteria that has surrounded Confederate issues which now prevents people seeking to do the right thing from doing the right thing:

Scoppe: Shouldn’t the owners of monuments get to decide their fate?
In South Carolina, private ownership plays second fiddle to Confederate flag paranoia

State law won’t let American Legion desegregate its World War I monument

Another example of Legislature’s power-hording compulsions

GreenwoodMonument5x3.jpg

Greenwood Mayor Welborn Adams stands beside the Greenwood County memorial that honors its citizens who died in recent wars. The mayor’s push to replace old plaques that split soldiers killed in World War I and II into “white” and “colored” was rejected by the SC Legislature. Jeffrey Collins AP
Cindi Ross Scoppe

Associate Editor

Associate Editor

• Columbia, SC
    YOU KNOW THE story by now: In 1929, the American Legion post in Greenwood erected a monument on city property to honor local soldiers who had died in World War I; later, the names of fallen soldiers from World War II were added, and like the World War I dead, they were separated into two categories: “white” and “colored.”

ScoppeColumnShot3.2x2.jpg

Cindi Ross Scoppe
    In 2014, the American Legion, embarrassed by its segregated monument, asked Greenwood Mayor Welborn Adams to help raise $15,000 to desegregate the names. He did, and he was all set to dedicate new plaques and move the old ones to the county museum when he found out about the South Carolina Heritage Act.

Read more here: http://www.thestate.com/opinion/opn...oss-scoppe/article31553969.html#storylink=cpy

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!