School event for my unit.

PA 69th irish

Private
This Friday my unit is doing our annual school program for a local "freshman" center (9th graders). We do this in the high school football stadium with several stations set up,ending with a firing demonstration.
The school district has been very supportive of this project and we are now going on our 3rd year of doing it. The school splits the kids into 10 companies (that our regiment used during the war
) and they spend about 10-15 minutes rotating between each station. We have recieved alot of positive feed back from the kids,teachers and school board. It's interesting to hear the comments from the students. They say that seeing everything up front and being able to look at the soldiers,their equipment and how they lived gives them a better understanding of that time period,that they don't get from the books.

Nice work.
Thank you donna.

When we initially took on this project (actually my oldest son started this) we had wanted to do this in the fields behind the school, but the school board thought the stadium would be better because at the end of the program the students could sit in the bleechers to watch the firing demonstration.We do set up a camp site (no fire of course for cooking). The funny thing is that the stadium is surrounded by homes,and we have actually had numerous homeowners come walking in and walk through the stations with the students,even the police have showed up and have come in to watch:D . They really seem to enjoy it.

That is amazingly wonderful. You are making lifetime memories those kids will pass on to their own children. :smile: I love it. Kudos to you and let us know how it goes!

Well, last Friday we had the event at the school. We had approx. 10 guys including one of our muscians show up and 2 women. Unfortunately our "DOC" wasn't able to attend to do the medical. We had a nice size encampment set up, and I guess around 400 students. The event turned out better then I thought,and the students loved it. We are already talking about next years school event.

Very cool! Wish Canadian schools would host stuff like this, they just threw out the door that 50 000 Canadians fought and don't give a ****.

Well, last Friday we had the event at the school. We had approx. 10 guys including one of our muscians show up and 2 women. Unfortunately our "DOC" wasn't able to attend to do the medical. We had a nice size encampment set up, and I guess around 400 students. The event turned out better then I thought,and the students loved it. We are already talking about next years school event.

PA 69th irish,

You are doing such an outstanding job, along with your unit, by bringing a piece of history to this generation.

Keep it up, you and the history you present are absolutely priceless.

Sincerely,
Unionblue

Back