Scarlett O'Hardy's Gone With the Wind Museum, Jefferson, Texas

My places to go list has been steadily growing since I joined the forum! Another wonderful addition to my every growing bucket list, thanks James N.

This GWTW related museum looks like far more fun than the Margaret Mitchell House I visited in Atlanta a few years back. I enjoyed that museum, but it lacked an excess of memorabilia that the O'Hardy museum fulfills since I'm a huge GWTW fan since childhood.

James N., you never fail to disappoint! Even at the uncivilized hour of 1:20am, I am still laughing about that scary MAD cover. It's too late (or early) for me to worry about anything other than to say that I always enjoy a period piece, so I never miss GWTW when it shows up in the listings.

Bee, I can only say I hope that was a misprint or a slip of the fingers!

It reminds me of one of my own favorite sayings, Don't fail to miss it if you can!

This GWTW related museum looks like far more fun than the Margaret Mitchell House I visited in Atlanta a few years back. I enjoyed that museum, but it lacked an excess of memorabilia that the O'Hardy museum fulfills since I'm a huge GWTW fan since childhood.

I've never been there, but Ms. Hardy speaks highly of it due to its importance in the writing of the novel, about which she is much more passionate than the film. Unfortunately, due to my own prejudice against fiction I've never read the book, but first saw the "movie version" in 1961 when it was re-released for the Civil War Centennial. Like some others here, I lost interest around intermission when it ceased to be a story about the war and became one about Reconstruction. As Ms. Hardy says, it's really a story about survival regardless when it takes place.

I've never been there, but Ms. Hardy speaks highly of it due to its importance in the writing of the novel, about which she is much more passionate than the film. Unfortunately, due to my own prejudice against fiction I've never read the book, but first saw the "movie version" in 1961 when it was re-released for the Civil War Centennial. Like some others here, I lost interest around intermission when it ceased to be a story about the war and became one about Reconstruction. As Ms. Hardy says, it's really a story about survival regardless when it takes place.

It's well worth a visit if you're a big fan of the book, which I am, but was hoping to see more movie related items since the movie is such a big part of the overall story of GWTW. I'm a literature nerd and love visiting places like Dickens' and Austen's residences when I was in England. It's fun to envision them sitting there trying to figure out the plots of your favorite novels. And I wholeheartedly agree with Ms. Hardy, the novel is all about surviving despite the odds.

What, no Carol Burnett as Scarlett?

screen_shot_2011-11-09_at_11.54.15_am.png
tumblr_mq5avoSUOv1qar83lo6_500.png

Attachments

• screen_shot_2011-11-09_at_11.54.15_am.png
    screen_shot_2011-11-09_at_11.54.15_am.png
    62.3 KB · Views: 30
  • tumblr_mq5avoSUOv1qar83lo6_500.png
    tumblr_mq5avoSUOv1qar83lo6_500.png
    114 KB · Views: 27
Remember reading about the production of the movie when really young- for some reason had a phase of being smitten with bios, don't ask me why, as in when a kid. It must have been the Clark Gable bio which featured this movie- never been able to get into the movie, having gotten interested in casting and filming. Like introducing Vivien Leigh while filming the Atlanta scene. It was a hugely coveted part, Vivien Leigh not as well known. It hadn't been cast yet, whoever it was brought her to the set then. Guess the dramatic introduction did it, she was thought perfect ( This is from a bio, from gosh, probably the 60's so who knows how accurate it was? )
It always amazes me when British actors such as Vivien Leigh are able to come over here and bring iconic American characters to life! Like Daniel Day-Lewis and his perfect Kentucky accent as Lincoln. Or Alan Rickman as the Tennessean Dr. Alfred Blalock in Something the Lord Made. I know there are dialect coaches who can work wonders, but still. The transformation seems nearly miraculous to me.

It always amazes me when British actors such as Vivien Leigh are able to come over here and bring iconic American characters to life! Like Daniel Day-Lewis and his perfect Kentucky accent as Lincoln. Or Alan Rickman as the Tennessean Dr. Alfred Blalock in Something the Lord Made. I know there are dialect coaches who can work wonders, but still. The transformation seems nearly miraculous to me.

Isn't that crazy? SO good! You see actors without any clue they are British when playing American parts or the other way around. As you say ' But still ' - dialect coach or no, that is amazing!

Back