NF Scarlett O'Hara - Hero or wench?

Non-Fiction

At the end of the movie Gone with the Wind what is you opinion of Scarlett?

• A destestable conniving wench willing to do anything to improve her lot in life.

Votes: 28 32.9%
  • Someone that did what she had to do to survive

Votes: 47 55.3%
  • A heroine

Votes: 10 11.8%

• Total voters

1SGDan

Major
There was a small debate on another thread about how we should view Scarlett O'Hara at the end of the movie. My opinion is that she was a detestable wench willing to use anyone to get her old life back. I asked my wife what she thought and she agreed although she simplified it by using the word b#tch.

Ignoring the racism embedded in both the movie and the book, my wife has persuaded me that Scarlett was the original heroine who refused to be beaten down by all SOB's she encountered. Although my wife never saw what Scarlett saw in any of her boy friends....Given a pile of lemons, Scarlett made lemonade,,,,

Be interesting to see how this poll cuts along gender lines.

Well, yes, she was "a destestable conniving wench willing to do anything to improve her lot in life", but then again, there are times and circumstances when someone like that can be a hero or heroine. If I had the option to vote BOTH, I would, but since I don't I'll take the middle road: "Someone that did what she had to do to survive"

Well, yes, she was "a destestable conniving wench willing to do anything to improve her lot in life", but then again, there are times and circumstances when someone like that can be a hero or heroine. If I had the option to vote BOTH, I would, but since I don't I'll take the middle road: "Someone that did what she had to do to survive"

Like marrying her sister's fiancee after lying to him that her sister already was married ?

Wow. And she's fictional. Everyone gets a failing grade on the character analysis. Scarlett is an empty-headed, flighty, selfish teenager who grows up. She accepts the popular opinion of herself--but Melanie is the only one who sees through her and loves her for what she really is (you see, Melanie is so confident of Ashley's love for her--and she's right--that she ignores Scarlett's obsession with him). Scarlett is imbued with all the public characteristics (manners) viewed as so important in the South, but deep down she's a scared little girl (Rhett actually gets that right, but he's a clunky male, so he misses the big clues!).

BTW, Melanie is the strong one and the real heroine of the story--something Scarlett realizes when Melanie dies. And Melanie is the REAL Southern ideal woman -- chaste, loving, hard-working and brave....and uncomplaining. But would you have read a book about Melanie or watched the movie? B-O-R-I-N-G. Scarlett is fun.

You folks need to get a life.

Like marrying her sister's fiancee after lying to him that her sister already was married ?

She married someone she detested to save the whole family and Tara....including her sister. We can't help that Suellen is a raving loony. About the worst thing in the entire film is her treatment of Frank Kennedy, though. Suellen deserves being thumped.....Frank is just a good guy, to steal mammy's line.....caught "by a great big black spider."

Ignoring the racism embedded in both the movie and the book, my wife has persuaded me that Scarlett was the original heroine who refused to be beaten down by all SOB's she encountered. Although my wife never saw what Scarlett saw in any of her boy friends....Given a pile of lemons, Scarlett made lemonade,,,,

Be interesting to see how this poll cuts along gender lines.

I'm with your wife. :smile:

Back