Scanning old photos / books in high resolution ?

Not sure where to post this. Does anyone have any experience with this?

I've got some original books (Harper's Weekly '62, 63', Battles and Leaders, Marshall Deeds of PA, etc) from the CW era and the years after and I'm curious if anyone knows a good method of scanning them in the highest resolution possible within reason. Better than what is available on websites like Archive.org and others, better than their highest resolution downloads. I'm aware of some really good industry scanners that can do this type of scan but I don't want to spend $5-10,000 on my own unit.

It would have to be done for some of the books being upright and not requiring constantly flipping them around face down. Several are quite fragile and the pages can tear easily. I don't trust random Staples employees to handle them, I've already been through that with a stereo view and I wasn't impressed enough to ever chance it again.

Thanks!

I don't have an answer for you. I do have a question: Why do you want to do this? Do you want to sell prints from them? Do you want to enlarge details from them? It's probably obvious to you, but higher resolution images take too long to load or download on a computer, and that's quickly becoming the only way people view them.