SC Muster Roll question

practicalmom

Cadet
Muster Roll question

Hi -- I have a question about muster rolls, related to my post below (Weldon RR.)

I have a muster roll for my ancestor which reads like this (bad copy, so I'll put what I can.)

Phillips, John D.

Subject: Detailed

Special Order Number 199/40

Aug. 23, 1864

Adjutant & Inspector General's
Office, Confederate States, con-
tains information relative to
the man named, on the subject
mentioned above.

-------- end of document

My questions are these:
1) does this document point to more information and, if so, how to find in mcrofilm? (i.e. is there a way to find special order 199/40)?
2) what is the meaning of "Detailed?"

Thanks a bunch.

I haven't worked South Carolina records, but I would suggest a contact with the state archives in Columbia. Our archives here in Nashville contains microfilm of files on Tennessee and soldiers from other states. Try a google search for South Carolina library archives. Much of the TN stuff is at least indexed online. South Carolina's should be also. You have the Co. and the regiment. That's the tough part and the key to your search. I think the special order number is a reference from one of the libraries from which this was obtained, but I could be totally wrong on that one. Try your largest local library and ask a few questions. Your location is not shown on the post.

Hi there -- I'm in Atlanta. The Muster Rolls came from a friend via Charleston. Thanks for pointing me to the SC archives site -- I just needed someone to remove my blinders! Looks like I'll need to make a trip to Columbia. Thanks again

From files I've read at the National Archives, "detailed" generally means to be assigned to duty away from the unit. It could be ambulance, nurse, provost, sharpshooter, ordnance, manual labor, etc.

Back