"Say What Saturday: With So Little Brain"

Ole Miss

Major
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Regtl. Staff Shiloh 2020
Asst. Regtl. QM Stones River / Franklin 2022
1586010059290.png

"Men? There were men enough; all dead, apparently, except one, who lay near where I had halted my platoon to await the slower movement of the line—a Federal sergeant, variously hurt, who had been a fine giant in his time. He lay face upward, taking in his breath in convulsive, rattling snorts, and blowing it out in sputters of froth which crawled creamily down his cheeks, piling itself alongside his neck and ears. A bullet had clipped a groove in his skull, above the temple; from this the brain protruded in bosses, dropping off in flakes and strings. I had not previously known one could get on, even in this unsatisfactory fashion, with so little brain. One of my men, whom I knew for a womanish fellow, asked if he should put his bayonet through him. Inexpressibly shocked by the cold-blooded proposal, I told him I thought not; it was unusual, and too many were looking."
Regards
David

I believe Ambrose Gwinnett Bierce was the one man “Monty Python” of his age! For those who do not know who “Monty Python” is look it up on YouTube. Bierce was born in Ohio in 1842 the baby of 10 siblings. He soon moved to Indiana and hung around print shops and newspapers. He evidently had a bent for writing at an early age that only became more honed with age.

With the declaration of War, he soon enlisted in the 9th​ Regiment of Indiana Volunteer Infantry in which he served till being discharged in 1865 with the rank of Brevet Captain. His regiment was assigned to the 19th​ Brigade of Colonel William Hazen in the 4th​ Division under General William Nelson of General Buell’s Army of the Ohio.

The 9th​ arrived late Sunday evening are were soon sent into camp near by to prepare for battle on Monday morning. They were positioned at the far right of Hazen’s brigade which was the far right of Nelson’s Brigade.

At dawn the 9th​ advanced due South through Sarah Bell’s Peach Orchard and passed by Bloody Pond. They soon encountered troops of Hardee’s Corps and were heavily engaged for several hours, steadily driving the Confederates across the peach orchard. At about noon, the 9th​ crossed the Hamburg-Purdy road and soon the Rebels retreated from the field, leaving the dead and wounded strewn across the battlefield.

Bierce was born with a unique talent to see and describe life and its actors in a different light, especially in the somewhat stiff filters of the 19th century. The Civil War, and Shiloh in particular, shaped his personality to tell stories that were cruel as well as trending to the weird. He was an idifferent author much like Faulkner who wrote for his pleasure and if others enjoyed his labors, so much the better.
Regards
David

Bierce's regiment was heavily engaged on Monday, April 7th​, sustaining a total of 170 casualties for a 26% loss. His brigade, Hazen’s, was adjacent to Ammen’s 10th’ Brigade on the Union left flank as they steadily pushed the Confederates from the filed. The fighting was heavy as indicated by his unit’s losses. I wonder if part of the dark humor of his writings was the result of the horrors he encountered?
Regards
David

Here is Colonel Moore’s Official Report of the action:
Report of Col. Gideon C. Moody, Ninth Indiana Infantry.
Headquarters Ninth Indiana Regiment,
April 9, 1862.
Sir: I have the honor to submit the following report of the part taken by my command in the engagement of the 6th and 7th instant, at Pittsburg Landing, Tenn.:
After' bivouacking upon the field of battle during the night of the 6th, having arrived about 9 o’clock p. m., my regiment, at dawn on the morning of the 7th instant, took its place in the line, the Sixth Kentucky Regiment being on my right and the Forty-first Ohio on my left.
With skirmishers thrown out to the front the line advanced for about half a mile, when my skirmishers first encountered the pickets and skirmishers of the enemy, driving them in and pursuing them for about half a mile, when they were fired upon by a large body of the enemy, posted just in the edge of the woods. During this pursuit my skirmishers drove the enemy from one of their batteries, but were unable to retain possession of it. I then, by orders, moved my regiment rapidly forward to position and opened fire upon the enemy, estimated to be five times our number, they returning the fire with great spirit with both small-arms and artillery. After continuing the fire for about two hours the enemy ceased firing, and I retired my men, having expended an average of about 35 rounds of ammunition. I then ordered my command to lie down and rest, which they did, and after resting a short time we were again fired upon by the enemy, who were attempting by a flank movement to turn our right. We immediately recommenced firing, and continued for about an hour, when we succeeded in again driving the enemy back, my regiment having expended at this time some 20 rounds of ammunition. I was then ordered to withdraw my men and rest, which I did, retiring by the right of companies, and at the same time changing direction to the right.
After resting a short time the enemy appeared in force on my right (now become my front), preparing to charge one of our batteries there planted, and the infantry supports of the battery falling back, I was ordered up to meet the enemy. My men rushed forward, delivering a most destructive fire: charged the enemy with great spirit, driving them back in confusion and with terrible loss; pursued them closely and took another of their batteries, but being without any sufficient support, and the enemy throwing a strong force up a ravine on our left, in order to cut us off, we were compelled to retire. Soon after this we were again ordered forward, and engaged a force of the enemy occupying a camp from which our forces had been driven on the previous day. After expending some 25 rounds of ammunition we again succeeded in driving the enemy from their position, arid I was then ordered to retire and rest, which I did until near night, when we were moved to the extreme left of the lines, where we bivouacked for the night, returning next morning to our present camping place.
Every officer and man did his duty so faithfully that I am unable and unwilling to discriminate in favor of any one. I refer you to the accompanying report of casualties for the loss sustained by my command.
I have the honor to be, &c.,
G. C. MOODY,
Colonel Ninth Indiana Volunteers.
Lieut. B. L. Kimberly,
Acting Assistant Adjutant-General.

Pages 342-343
Official Records

Great quote, @Ole Miss , and it's what I would term an 'observation'. It has little emotion attached, but the description is harrowing.

At the same time, Bierce becomes 'present' when another soldier questions the possibility of putting a bayonet through the Sargent to bring an end to his suffering. 'Inexpressibly shocked at the cold blooded proposal', and not thinking it right in the circumstances, he rejects the notion. Too many people are watching. And yet somehow it would seem the most humane or compassionate thing to do, as suggested by the more 'womanly' soldier.

He sounds like an interesting character, and Monty Python is full of 'observations' highlighting the irony of human experience in a most humorous fashion, opening our eyes to the ridiculousness of it all at times as well.

The Civil War, and Shiloh in particular, shaped his personality to tell stories that were cruel as well as trending to the weird. He was an idifferent author much like Faulkner who wrote for his pleasure and if others enjoyed his labors, so much the better.
I wonder if part of the dark humor of his writings was the result of the horrors he encountered?
I enjoyed hearing your thoughts around this, too. In my mind, there is no doubt writers are influenced by their experiences. They have a way of tapping into the human experience which often resonates with others. And even in indifference, that is sometimes where we find ourselves. Observers on the outside, looking in. Cut off, yet not from the irony, or even better for the irony as the case may be.

Last edited:
Some men observed the horrors of war rather matter-of-factly and then seem to go on about the business of life. Mr. Bierce seems fascinated by them and drawn in to the death side, magnifying it until it possesses him.

1-11-62 A man of the 5th [MI] Regt. was killed on picket yesterday. A Minie ball struck him in the forehead which shattered his head all to pieces nearly taking the top of it off. Those Minie, Sharp, & Enfield balls tear a terrible hole. Their weight & velocity is so great that bones stand a poor chance. Out of any given number of men who are shot in battle it is said that twice as many die who are struck by these balls as among those who are hit by the ordinary musket balls.

Charles B Haydon For Country Cause & Leader ed Stephen W Sears 1993

@Peace Society that would make an excellent "Say What Saturday" thread.
"A Minie ball struck him in the forehead which shattered his head all to pieces nearly taking the top of it off."
Would make for a riveting post! Sure hope you decide to make it a thread
Regards
David

Sun. 12-13-62 Fredericksburg

Sgt. [John] Van Meter... was struck in the crown of the head, the ball passing directly through the brain. ...I found him still conscious altho' his brains were oozing from the wound. Ascertaining that it was impossible to extract the ball, I gave him some whiskey and went back..

Francis Adams Donaldson Inside the Army of the Potomac ed. J Gregory Acken 1998

He survived. In the carte-de-visite he posed for Jan 63 he looks well. He was discharged Mar 63.

Last edited:
Great story! Wonder what happened after he left the army?
Regards
David

Sgt John Van Meter survived being shot in the forehead and losing brain matter, according to his Capt, F A Donaldson. The carte-de-visite is pretty remarkable. He looks good in spite of the bandage around his head. The picture is on the next page after the diary entry in D's book. Mr Acken is very good at telling what happened to people that Donaldson mentions but didn't say anything beyond his discharge date. Can Van Meter be looked up?

Last edited:
Back