* OFFICIAL *
CWT PRESENTER
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Regtl. Staff Chickamauga 2018
1618627228366.png

MRS. LONGSTREET TELLS WHY SHE MARRIED THE GENERAL
From the Atlanta Constitution, September 9, 1897

No social event has in recent years attracted such attention as the marriage of General Longstreet and Miss Dortch. The New York newspapers, realizing the interest felt by their readers in this union of the grand old soldier and the very attractive young lady who has become his bride, have developed a lively rivalry over the publication of news related to the marriage itself, or to its principals. The Constitution used yesterday General Longstreet's telegram to the New York World, in which he told how he, an old man, felt upon the day of his marriage with a young bride. The New York Journal had in its Sunday issue and even more striking feature -- Mrs. Longstreet's explanation of why she, a young woman, married so old a man.

This letter of Mrs. Longstreet is characteristic of the brilliant writer and will certainly be read with interest by everybody in Georgia. It is as follows:
1618628167133.png

1618628190871.png

That is a huge compliment to General Longstreet in her closing sentence. She herself is very well guarded by her own use of the pen in which she states, "Imagine a sensitive and high-minded woman as she awakes to the realization that her husband is entirely gross."
If that didn't twist the knife already thrust into the writhing soul of emotions, it was a dead soul to begin with.
Lubliner.

Let's see, newspaper owner and editor , postmaster , conservationist , women's and civil rights advocate and defense plant worker and she lived until 1962. I always thought of her as the kind of person that I would like to sit down with and have a very long conversation.

Let's see, newspaper owner and editor , postmaster , conservationist , women's and civil rights advocate and defense plant worker and she lived until 1962. I always thought of her as the kind of person that I would like to sit down with and have a very long conversation.
My Grandmother had good friends that lived in Gainesville, Georgia and knew the "General's Wife".

View attachment 398028
MRS. LONGSTREET TELLS WHY SHE MARRIED THE GENERAL
From the Atlanta Constitution, September 9, 1897

No social event has in recent years attracted such attention as the marriage of General Longstreet and Miss Dortch. The New York newspapers, realizing the interest felt by their readers in this union of the grand old soldier and the very attractive young lady who has become his bride, have developed a lively rivalry over the publication of news related to the marriage itself, or to its principals. The Constitution used yesterday General Longstreet's telegram to the New York World, in which he told how he, an old man, felt upon the day of his marriage with a young bride. The New York Journal had in its Sunday issue and even more striking feature -- Mrs. Longstreet's explanation of why she, a young woman, married so old a man.

This letter of Mrs. Longstreet is characteristic of the brilliant writer and will certainly be read with interest by everybody in Georgia. It is as follows:
View attachment 398031
View attachment 398032
Thanks for sharing! I was particularly pleased to see her determination to marry a man who met her high ideals, something I have stressed to my own daughters.

She appears to be true and genuine and has my respect. She always seemed committed to him and restoring his name even several years after his death. I have yet to read her book... but it's on my list. Good post.
Young women should read this as to what to be the truth when approaching marriage or just seeking relationship in male company. If they seek only those who neglect their need they will have one that is "entirely gross''.

Young women should read this as to what to be the truth when approaching marriage or just seeking relationship in male company.
"A woman looking sensibly at such an important event as marriage will, therefore, look among such of her male friends as have the qualities required. The man who is advanced in years has his record made up, and the woman can decide for herself whether he be such a one as would develop all that was best in herself."

"...I would never marry a simpering* man who had no ideas in his head and who lacked the energy to make a man of himself. If ever the time came for marriage, the accepted lover would have to be one who could come up to my high ideal, who would not belittle my hopes and whose name I would be proud to bear."

*simpering (adj.) - affectedly coy or ingratiating.

Wonder what she could have accomplished had she been born 100 years later?

Back