Longstreet Say What Saturday: Hamlin Garland on James Longstreet

As Longstreet 's first wife was Maria Louisa Garland and the author's last name is Garland also, I wonder if he was a nephew or otherwise related to James Longstreet?

Now he was a deaf, hesitant old man, sorrowful of aspect, poor, dim-eyed, neglected, and alone.

The article dates from May 1897. While these words are just heartbreaking, it's good to know that James Longstreet's days of loneliness did not last very long afterwards.
In September 1897 he married his second wife Helen Dortch Longstreet and one can only imagine how much sunshine she must have brought into his life!

VirgilKane,

I'm just finishing Stephen Sears' one volume abridgement of Douglas S. Freeman's "Lee's Lieutenants, A Study in Command" and it has been an excellent read. It provides very good insights regarding the personalities and interactions among Lee's high command, both the good and not so good. As you may expect, Longstreet is prominently featured and Freeman goes into detail about his strengths and weaknesses. Great song by The Band by the way, "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down" recorded here in the Hudson Valley.

Bill
VirgilKane,

I just did a fact check on myself. Evidently the Band's song was written and developed near Woodstock, NY but actually recorded in...Hollywood...so I stand corrected on that error.

As Longstreet 's first wife was Maria Louisa Garland and the author's last name is Garland also, I wonder if he was a nephew or otherwise related to James Longstreet?

Probably not or at least it was no close relationship.
Hamlin Garland was born in Wisconsin as the son of a farmer from Maine named Richard Garland while the family of Maria Louisa Garland's father John Garland lived in Virginia.

1610991705294.png

Probably not or at least it was no close relationship.
Hamlin Garland was born in Wisconsin as the son of a farmer from Maine named Richard Garland while the family of Maria Louisa Garland's father John Garland lived in Virginia.

View attachment 388188
Wasn't there a thread about Lynchburg Va. that showed a Garland grave close to Meems'?
Lubliner.

Back