Ole Miss

Major
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Regtl. Staff Shiloh 2020
Asst. Regtl. QM Stones River / Franklin 2022
1622224498870-png.png

National Cemeteries

Gettysburg was the 1st​ National Cemetery established due to the high number of casualties from the 3 day battle. With over 3,500 Union soldiers dead upon the fields---let alone the corresponding number of Confederate dead, Gettysburg was a scene from Dante’s Inferno come to life!

The 17 acre cemetery was to be dedicated in November of 1863 with the famed orator of Massachusetts Edward Everett to be the main speaker. As we know, the President was a last minute addition invited by David Wills to deliver “…a few appropriate remarks.” History was changed by one man’s afterthought which permitted a great statesman to bring to everyone’s attention the main focus of the Battle of Gettysburg, the men who fought there and that the location of the National Cemetery was the main focus point of the entire battle.

By their very nature, National Cemeteries, hold the remains of the heroes of this Nation who served and quite often gave their lives to uphold the values of this country as well as protect our citizens as well. Never forget the sacrifice these men and women made for each one of us! In fact, while we can we owe a sincere thank you to each and every veteran who has served this country, though the majority will modestly say "the real heroes never made it home."

In honor of my father and mother, who both served in the US Navy in WW II, Thank You for Your Service!
Regards
David

For those of us who are younger (I’m 40), it’s hard to truly empathize with the sacrifices made by the fallen.

There have been wars in my lifetime, but nothing major like since Vietnam. I don’t mean to disparage any who have served since, I only say it in the sense that the impact on our national psyche has been felt less.

Looking at pictures of these national cemeteries makes it hit home…even more so when I ponder that this horrible slaughter happened in my country. American killing American.

Having never been in the military, I wish to give a sincere thank you to those brave people that fell in service to their country.

First of all, I want to fully support and applaud the sentiments expressed in this thread. President Lincoln's words apply to every cemetery where the remains of those who "gave the last full measure of devotion" are interred. In case anyone misunderstood, the photo does not depict the Gettysburg National Cemetery.

Back